Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lost Only 60 Pounds

this is my first post to the board. i had VSG in June 2009 and lost 60 pounds in 9-10 months but have had a 15 pound regain. I have not followed my post-op diet perfectly and just started to exercise almost 1.5 year out from surgery. I'm currently doing the 5 Day Pouch Test to try and get off the weight I have gained and get back on track with post-op diet requirements. Since I'm no longer in the 1 year marker of my surgery, I wonder if I'm going to be able to lose anymore weight. I feel like my body naturally wants to stay at this weight, since exercising for the last couple months, I have only lost 5 pounds. I also wonder if I have stretched my pouch and ruined the surgery. Anyone out there that has had minimal weight loss with VSG?

Thanks!

Surgery weight: 235

Lowest weight: 175

Current weight: 185

Goal weight: 150

So you had 85 to lose and lost 60... thats not minimal! That may not have been 100% but the stats say the average loss is around that for the sleeve. Gaining 15 lbs must be disappointing... Get back on plan... Protein first, lower carbs, exercise a little every day, drink your Water. Losing 5 lbs from exercising is great over two months... keep that up for life and I would think you should get to where you want to be. Good luck and don't give up, you signed on for some changes with the sleeve as your little helper. Do you have access to your nutritionist and such still? Perhaps a review with her, and when I log what I eat in a nutrition counter on line, its lots easier to keep on track. Maybe it will be for you too. I find its allot harder to write down junk filled days! Believe it or not, this keeps me from eating extra junk... I just hate writing it down and taking responsibility for eating it all! lol.... good luck to you tweaking your course a little towards better health and those last few pounds.

I think you addressed a lot of your own concerns by saying that you haven't followed the post-op diet perfectly and that you only recently began exercising. Both of those could be to blame for not reaching your goal weight. Also, I think it's important to consider whether your goal is realistic. E.g. if you are 6' tall, 150 lbs might actually be excessively thin. Also, what kind of exercise are you doing and what exactly and how much are you eating? I'd keep a food log for a few days and then use that for damage control. I don't know what kind of exercising you're doing, but if it's something like walking, maybe you need to step it up. Basically, bottom line is that it's hard to give much advice without knowing any details.

A lot of fine things have been said already.

I havent been operated myself - but it is so great, that you write this and ask for others.

I hav a theory, that a lot of people retract from a forum like this, when they are not all succes.

You are 35 pounds heavier than your goalweight. Glad to hear about your pouch test!

Even though you haven't followed your diet perfectly -well, a lot of people have been "cheating" a bit, and still lost their excess weight.

Maybe your body doesnt want to be thinner? Or perhaps just not at the moment. Perhaps you can go down 5 pound at a time later on and still reach you goal weigt in a year?

Slow but sturdy.

PLease keep us informed.