Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking alcohol after VSG

I'm 42 and single with no kids. At this stage of my life I wouldn't call myself a "party girl", but I do still on occasion enjoy going out and having drinks and sometimes taking a cab home because it wouldn't be a good idea to drive. It's pretty infrequent now, but something I still enjoy. I realize that this probably won't be the same for me if I have the VSG surgery, but I thought I would ask how it would change.

What are the recommendations you have gotten from your doctors? What are some of your personal experiences? Do you have to wait a certain amount of time after surgery before having any alcohol? Is it something you have to give up forever?

Thanks.

I was cleared for wine consumption at 3.5 months out. My surgeon warned me to steer clear of red wines. I didn't drink until I was at goal, I was pretty carb/calorie conscious and didn't want to waste my calories on alcohol.

The first time I drank a glass of Riesling, it hit me hard and fast then I sobered up pretty quickly. I am that "party girl", and have been socially drinking for the last ummmm few months. I tie one on monthly with mixed drinks and shots, and my tolerance is the same as it was pre-op now. In my little social circle of military wives, I'm know as the "afternoon cocktail" girl, and have been known to drink a strawberry mojito, have a glass of wine, or even a rum/coke at lunch. I don't drink at home, and I typically keep my drinking to a 4-6 times a month kind of thing, and it's typically just one drink unless it's my monthly "girls night out".

I'm below goal, and the only thing I do notice is that I retain Water like the hoover dam after a big night out. Other than that, I have zero ill effects from drinking with my sleeve. I refuse to give up anything forever that includes any type of food or beverage. I had surgery to be as close to normal as possible, and being a social drinker is part of my "normal".

I am so glad that I came across this post because I am headed for surgery in January, and this was one of my questions I wanted answered by a fellow VSGer.

Thanks for your answer, Ms. Afternoon Cocktail girl!! I am not exactly a "party girl" any more, but many times I do like to have glass of wine with dinner, and sometimes on weekends, if we're out, I like to have two. I was worrying that my life would now become like that of a Nun.. glad to know that girls can still have fun AND be skinny!

I am so glad that I came across this post because I am headed for surgery in January, and this was one of my questions I wanted answered by a fellow VSGer.

Thanks for your answer, Ms. Afternoon Cocktail girl!! I am not exactly a "party girl" any more, but many times I do like to have glass of wine with dinner, and sometimes on weekends, if we're out, I like to have two. I was worrying that my life would now become like that of a Nun.. glad to know that girls can still have fun AND be skinny!

I used to be a beer babe and have turned into a cocktail cutie! I have found that I cannot really drink with meals when dining out but I can have a cocktail before dinner and maybe another one an hour after. It is too hard to drink and eat and get in enough food.< /p>

How soon is to soon to indulge after surgery?

You really should consult your surgeon. For my program guidelines, alcohol should be avoided for a minimum of 3 months to give the sleeve time to heal, and it's even more preferred to wait until you are at goal weight to indulge in alcohol. Alcohol is just wasted calories, but if you're not strict then you can indulge once your doctor releases you do so. I personally wanted to wait until I got to goal, and not waste calories on drinking.

Thanks Tiffkins! I'm not a party girl but my husband and I do like to get out and shoot pool and have a drink once a week. I have felt totally claustrophobic these pass 3 weeks :( and I really want a drink!

Tiffy, WHY did the doctor say stay away from red wines? I've noticed that if I over-indulge I can have a hypoglycemic reaction aka dump syndrome, so I have to really watch it. I drink mostly champage and red wines, so do tell me about the red wine issue. Thanks I'm below goal and have lost 130 pounds.

I was cleared for wine consumption at 3.5 months out. My surgeon warned me to steer clear of red wines. I didn't drink until I was at goal, I was pretty carb/calorie conscious and didn't want to waste my calories on alcohol.

The first time I drank a glass of Riesling, it hit me hard and fast then I sobered up pretty quickly. I am that "party girl", and have been socially drinking for the last ummmm few months. I tie one on monthly with mixed drinks and shots, and my tolerance is the same as it was pre-op now. In my little social circle of military wives, I'm know as the "afternoon cocktail" girl, and have been known to drink a strawberry mojito, have a glass of wine, or even a rum/coke at lunch. I don't drink at home, and I typically keep my drinking to a 4-6 times a month kind of thing, and it's typically just one drink unless it's my monthly "girls night out".

I'm below goal, and the only thing I do notice is that I retain Water like the hoover dam after a big night out. Other than that, I have zero ill effects from drinking with my sleeve. I refuse to give up anything forever that includes any type of food or beverage. I had surgery to be as close to normal as possible, and being a social drinker is part of my "normal".

Tiffy, WHY did the doctor say stay away from red wines? I've noticed that if I over-indulge I can have a hypoglycemic reaction aka dump syndrome, so I have to really watch it. I drink mostly champage and red wines, so do tell me about the red wine issue. Thanks I'm below goal and have lost 130 pounds.

It has to do with the tannic acid in the red wine. Iowagirl here on the forum explained it best. My surgeon never gave me a straight answer. He just said to avoid it so I followed his directions. I have lost my taste for most red wines. I'm not sure why, but it just doesn't make me feel "good" like whites do now.

Here's the post where Iowagirl explained. She's made some great posts about acid/stomach issues/pH of certain drinks and even why plain Water bothers some of us.

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/5477-booze/page__p__51479#entry51479

I have always enjoyed going out and having some cocktails with friends...having the sleeve has put me on a hiatis that I did not mind at all. However, 4 weeks post op I kind of felt ready and had 1 glass of Muscato sweet white wine. I typically do notdrink white wines or sweet wines, but after reading about what I should drink I figured that is what I should try out first. I sipped it so slow that I hardly felt a buzz and it made me tired. No side effects and no harm done, but I am not in any hurry to get drunk...maybe at Christmas I'll loosen up a bit more. I'm 4 weeks out, I think this is too soon.

Hi,

I am 5 weeks out, and was at my SIL funeral on Saturday. Very sad, and I really needed a drink. I ordered a vodka and lemon aid, and was able to drink maybe half before i was totally buzzed. I would say that my tolerance is very affected now, where prior to surgery even with my band i could drink 3 or 4 and feel fine. Could also be that i am not able to eat that much yet! But I will not be drinking again for some time, Xanax will get me through my trouble time now!

Patti ;)

I don't drink often at all. I usually get a (as in ONE) drink with dinner. We recently moved cross country and the last time I had my mom watch our kids so we could have dinner alone without the young ones I decided to have 2 fruity girly drinks. Needless to say, I have a new rule now. NO matter how I feel after ONE I will NEVER order a second one. I don't think I have EVER been that messed up in my 33 years on this planet. We went to TGIFridays and I got the something mojito. It has a bunch of fruit juice and booze. It's so smooth you taste the juice, it's awesome. I was finished with the first and the waiter asked if I wanted a second and I was like sure why not I'm not feeling it. Well I was completely in Jello zone. We ended up having to get my food to go. Hubby and I spent the rest of "our date" trying to sober me up so that I didn't get into trouble with my mom or the kids! I ultimately had to admit to drinking and my mom (who views drinking as a sin) eventually understood that I didn't know the surgery would make me such a cheap and easy drunk. Luckily our oldest daughter fell asleep watching TV and I fed our baby her bottle in our bed so she had no idea either. But yes, no matter how you feel after one give it about 20 minutes before you consider having a second is my advice.

Thanks, Tiffy, and the rest of you. The tannins don't bother me and I do like red wines. Sometimes it doesn't like me back, but that can happen with anything taken too far, huh?!

It has to do with the tannic acid in the red wine. Iowagirl here on the forum explained it best. My surgeon never gave me a straight answer. He just said to avoid it so I followed his directions. I have lost my taste for most red wines. I'm not sure why, but it just doesn't make me feel "good" like whites do now.

Here's the post where Iowagirl explained. She's made some great posts about acid/stomach issues/pH of certain drinks and even why plain Water bothers some of us.

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/5477-booze/page__p__51479#entry51479