Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve Experts... Please Chime In!

as of today, feb. 2nd I am two months post op. I am averaging 3lbs per week.

My surgeon seems pleased with this. It's surely fine with me.

I am just one week post-op and I am down 16 pounds. I have to keep telling myself this will slow down.

The one thing I've learned is to not make comparisons and do not expect your journey to be like anyone else's. Mine has been a real roller coaster, and probably most people here would say the same. Our bodies are unique, our lives are unique, so are our situations. At my two month appt I was so disappointed I burst into tears in the doctors office. At 5 months I could not be more pleased. Just hang in there and don't stress yourself. It will all work out. You will get there.

What are the chances the Dr. will make me loos weight before the surgery? What determines this? I am 5'6 310lbs type 2 diabetic insulin dependent but A1C is at 5.9.

I am doing strength and cardio training. Not scheduled yet but should hear soon I hope!

@@Cynthia ... My doctor did not place me on a mandatory weight loss program prior to surgery. I am 5'6". My starting weight was 264, pre-op 258, and no other medical conditions. You will go on a 2 week liver shrink diet 2 weeks before the surgery.

Cynthia - my doctor just had me follow a 2 week high protein/low carb diet. He didn't care if I didn't lose weight - just didn't want me to gain. He did my lapband 6 years ago and just did my sleeve revision. I'm so glad that he never required the liquid diet before the surgery like some doctors do

My mother had this surgery 4 years ago and you are just fine in my opinion. Different doctors want different time and go my different 'statistics' as well. I would say, so long as your still going for it and doing your best, don't worry about it. My mom had some issues with her weight loss in the first year and some people will, but as long as you are taking with your surgeon and doctors, and doing your best, that is all that is needed. Some will try to pressure you but it isn't like you gained weight, so hooey with them!

Cynthia - my insurance is what determined if I needed weight loss before the surgery or not. I would check with your surgeon and insurance to make sure you get the requirements for yourself.

Edited by Kiwwi1991

Im going in surgery on 3/10 i weigh 194 and have high blood pressure high cholesterol sleep apnea pre diabetic..im 5'2 and need to get back to 125. So i have to lose at least 75 pounds....i am wondering how long will it take?? Any ideas

I'm 8 months postop and I was 210 and now 108. I have lost 102 pounds. I believe it's what you put into this weight loss. I have cut out carbs and exercise at least 5 days a week. So, I wouldn't listen to just the 65%. Hope that helps. Jackie

I'm only 5ft, so remember it's what you put into this weight loss surgery. It's a tool to help you not a miracle.

The truth is that the 65% you almost just need to follow your hunger, the other 35% is where up the dicipline starts to become the rule and continues to be the rule for life.

I am at my goal 195 lbs am 6 feet tall and am approaching 70. I still limit my carbs to once ir twice a week at one or two meals. I speed walk (I have knee arthritis) a minimum of 4 miles 4 to 5 times a week and do 50 to 100 ab crunches on those days.

I still eat 6 to 7 times a day but always make sure to control portion size.

The Sleeve is the best decision I ever made and I now am more confident about attending my grandkids weddings, many years from now.

Questions for those people who have already had surgery....

Do you feel tired after surgery? I struggle with fatigue and I am hoping to feel more energy once I lose some of the weight. How long before you start to notice more energy?

How long before you can start trying to workout/run/jog?

Do the incision scars fade away? Or does your stomach look like someone tried to slice you up?

Last question, how do you hush the people who tell you "you're taking the easy way out"?

Thanks,

Mo

@@MoJo119

Moving after weight loss is definitely less painful, and easier but for me, the only thing that stops me from feeling physically tired is to be physically active. When I slack off for long periods of time, say a month, then I start to feel the fatigue. Being active is what staves it off. It doesn't have to be full blown hard core exercise.. Consistency is what makes the difference. :)

Questions for those people who have already had surgery....

Do you feel tired after surgery? I struggle with fatigue and I am hoping to feel more energy once I lose some of the weight. How long before you start to notice more energy?

I felt back to normal once I was on regular food. This seems to be very variable though

How long before you can start trying to workout/run/jog?

You can and should start walking immediately. I walked miles in the hospital (literally). Once I got home, my husband drove me to the mall everyday and we walked. For more intense workouts, you have to wait to get cleared by your surgeon and you have to see what your energy level is as you will be getting in a small amount of calories. I was cleared at 2 weeks, however, I have seen posts from others on this forum who have had to wait 4-6 weeks.

Do the incision scars fade away? Or does your stomach look like someone tried to slice you up?

The incisions are pretty tiny- mine are fading nicely. So no, it doesn't look like you have been "sliced"

Last question, how do you hush the people who tell you "you're taking the easy way out"?

I have not had that said to me but I have thought about what I would say if it did. I think I would say something like "What an interesting theory, what evidence have you gathered to support your hypothesis?"

Good Luck to you!

Thanks,

Mo