Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve Experts... Please Chime In!

My doctor says that a good loss is at least 5-8 lbs. per month that stays off. This is a healthy consistent weight loss. I was at goal at 9 1/2 months and I have averaged 7 lbs. a month that has stayed off. I weigh every day and always have and always will, and I never have gained even 1/2 lb. back! you don';t want to lose then gain, then lose then gain, etc. You need to keep on a consistent loss. He also said that the more wieght you have to lose, the faster you will lose, and the less weight you have to lose, it may be a little slower. But ask yourself whe you lost even 5-8 lbs. on your own! Even if you get into a stall, which you will, you will still continue to lose inches. There is no way that you are not going to lose weight with such a small stomach. It's not going to happen overnight. Please don't get impatient. Your time will come.

I met with a nurse today (having surgery next week!). She said "average" for the first month is 5-10 lbs....BUT then she said most people she sees far exceed that the first month. So...it is JUST averages. Don't get discouraged. smile.gif

My Dr told me in first 2 weeks I should lose about 20 pounds and that in first 6 months about 80 pounds and within a year a 100-110 pounds. I only needed to lose about 115-120 pounds all together

So, if you lose just 5-10 lbs a month by eating so little and exercising...is the surgery worth it? If you did all that without surgery, would you get the same results? I am thinking of getting the surgery in November... so I am asking, would you do it again knowing what you know now? Did you lose hair? Are you always in pain or does it go away? Do you ever live a normal life again?

For me, the surgery was def worth it! I would do it again! Just this morning, I am down 25 lbs and I haven't seen this weight in 10+ years (I can't remember it's been that long). I have dieted so many times before and lost close to 20 lbs but that was it. I do not have good willpower on diets, and just as soon as I went off, I would gain it all back plus more.

The sleeve has been a wonder tool for me. I had made it up in my mind that if I was going to this extreme, I would def follow the rules. Even though I followed the rules on other diets, my cravings won me over. The sleeve is such a wonderful tool that combined with my willingness to do the right thing, I have much more control. Even when my mouth is "still hungry" my sleeve is full, so I stop. I would never be able to do that without my sleeve.

As far as being "normal," I work with a girl who had the sleeve a year ago and she can eat anything now....it's just in smaller portions. She looks fabulous, and it's been such an inspiration for me to see someone in person who has done so well. When she goes out to eat, she gets a "to go" box at the beginning, and puts half of her meal in it (to have for lunch or dinner the next night). No worries.

Losing 65% of my excess weight would put me at 185. I am 3 months post-op and weighed 187 this morning. I am still losing 1 to 1 1/2 lbs EVERY day so I don't see it just suddenly coming to a halt!

Have you lost ANY weight or is this a slow down period?

<br /><br /><br />

Oh how I wish this were true for me, but it isn't. I track every single morsel that goes in my mouth, I keep my carbs lower than low, and my food choices pristine. Yet, I'm not losing weight. The party line of VSG is that on such low calories it is impossible not to lose weight. Well, here I am. I exercise 5 days a week, 30 minutes elliptical, full weights rotation. I eat 80+ grams Protein, 10-20 grams carbs, 60-90 ounces Water, every day. Not only have I stopped losing weight (a month without loss), but I have gained. I do not eat bread, potatoes, rice, grains, etc. I am supposed to be on 600 calories a day.

My Dr told me in first 2 weeks I should lose about 20 pounds and that in first 6 months about 80 pounds and within a year a 100-110 pounds. I only needed to lose about 115-120 pounds all together

My doctor didn't give me any guidance about how much weight I was supposed to lose in 2 weeks. I am also on a liquid-pureed diet so I am allowed dairy: Greek yogurt, small curd cottage cheese and cream-based Soups (with added protein). I don't feel like I have lost any weight. My jeans still fit absolutely the same and my swelling has gone down post-surgery, so it's not the swelling. This thread is kind of making me anxious. I wasn't planning on weighing myself until I saw the doctor on January 2nd, but now I see why everyone is obsessed with it.

I've lost all of my weight and I'm only 5 months out. :-) Had surgery 8-4-12. You can do it. Don't get frustrated just watch what you put in your mouth. If it not Protein or fuel for my body I do not consume it. No soda, no beer, no un battalion surgar. If I need sweets I have some local honey. Most of the battle we have is in our heads...we are our worst enemy!

fROM WHAT i UNDERSTAND, SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO EAT A FEW HUNDRED MORE CALORIES FOR A BI TO BREAK YOUR STALL. SORRY FOR CAPS, TYPING IN DARK!

I know everyone is different, but I have to disagree on upping calories. I can't imagine that is a good way to lose weight or break a stall pre op or post op. I was told to up Protein, maybe throw in a little exercise and increase liquids. Like everyone else, I'd either stall or would be going up a lb or two, down a lb or two.....some times for a week or ten days I'd do this up and down business......if I'd do like the dietitian recommended, weight loss kicked back in every time.

A request to the veterans here, please give me ideas to deal with head hunger. It gets so depressing at times. I am on the 12th day after surgery, progressing smoothly. Lost about 20 pounds, but more than the weight I seem to be loosing my patience and getting angry and irritated. Any suggestion will really help. Thanks .

A request to the veterans here' date=' please give me ideas to deal with head hunger. It gets so depressing at times. I am on the 12th day after surgery, progressing smoothly. Lost about 20 pounds, but more than the weight I seem to be loosing my patience and getting angry and irritated. Any suggestion will really help. Thanks .[/quote']

I thought I was alone on this one. Today I almost cried at the dinner table. I'm five days post op.

Hi There: I was sleeved in October, 2011. It was right before Thanksgiving (in Canada) and I was cranky as hell. I was doing okay but then got teary at feeling so excluded from the feasting. My general irritability was a good indication of how much I was using food to sooth crankiness, boredom, anger....etc. I had to keep busy, relaxed, get lots of sleep, and just suck it up sometimes. There were times when I'd eat too much and up the food would come. I also got big into thrift store shopping...a bit of an addiction situation. You need to watch out for that. All in all, you'll tough it out and gradually, the moodiness will not faze you as much...becomes normal. Practice saying 'no' to yourself and quickly distract yourself with something else to do. It definitely gets better. The weight loss didn't seem as fast as I expected so I stopped weighing myself, stopped 'dieting', and 'got on with my life'. If you focus too much on weight loss and food, you will naturally think about it all the time.

I am a year and a half post and weight a little more than 100 lbs. less. I no longer obsess and think much about weight (I'm 145lbs. 5'3") and go about my day. I have the odd cookie, occasionally eat too much popcorn etc. but don't let it get me down.

Hi There: I was sleeved in October' date=' 2011. It was right before Thanksgiving (in Canada) and I was cranky as hell. I was doing okay but then got teary at feeling so excluded from the feasting. My general irritability was a good indication of how much I was using food to sooth crankiness, boredom, anger....etc. I had to keep busy, relaxed, get lots of sleep, and just suck it up sometimes. There were times when I'd eat too much and up the food would come. I also got big into thrift store shopping...a bit of an addiction situation. You need to watch out for that. All in all, you'll tough it out and gradually, the moodiness will not faze you as much...becomes normal. Practice saying 'no' to yourself and quickly distract yourself with something else to do. It definitely gets better. The weight loss didn't seem as fast as I expected so I stopped weighing myself, stopped 'dieting', and 'got on with my life'. If you focus too much on weight loss and food, you will naturally think about it all the time.

I am a year and a half post and weight a little more than 100 lbs. less. I no longer obsess and think much about weight (I'm 145lbs. 5'3") and go about my day. I have the odd cookie, occasionally eat too much popcorn etc. but don't let it get me down.[/quote']

Thanks for the quick response. Will try and do as suggested. I have been obsessing a lot about the diet. Weighing myself everyday etc. i think i will just let it be and get on with my life. Thanks once again.

Also remember by just being on here, we are more motivated. Thus, are above the norm

Just wanted to pass along what a RNY patient, who is also a clinical psychologist said to me at a support group meeting this past Saturday......I too am obsessive, this is an adventure to me, I weigh myself every morning, I still log my food and weigh and measure. It is a game to me. I don't get freaked out, but I can control a few lbs, not so much if I were up ten, I'd be overwhelmed. She told me that my being obsessive is probably what will make me successful in the long run, she said "don't try and change that" Just an FYI - embrace being obsessive!! :)

Thanks for the quick response. Will try and do as suggested. I have been obsessing a lot about the diet. Weighing myself everyday etc. i think i will just let it be and get on with my life. Thanks once again.

Please don't obsess about it. there is no way you will eat like you did before. I am almost 15 months out and just have about five more pounds to get where I want to be, but I don't even think about it anymore as far as calories or pounds. I still cannot even get close to the number of calories I will need to maintain my weight! At first I kept track on MFP, and that is Ok while you are learning what you can or cannot eat, but then I thought to myself that this is not a diet, this is a new way of everyday eating. When I stopped that (MFP) and stopped even counting calories, I lost faster, because my mind was set and I knew what i can or cannot eat. I do watch my carbs though, and while I am still losing the 5 lbs. I try not to go over 30 g a day, and that is easy. but I know if I want to, I can and I will be OK. To maintain I can go up to 150 g per day, and I can't see that happening! I also watch my sugar and try to eat as litle sugar content as possible. Also, you must remember, don't freak out if you don't lose pounds once you get a little far out. You most likely are still losing inches and going down in sizes. The more you excercise, your fat is turing into muscle, so you may not be losing the pounds, but you are still being successful. You will not lose weight everyday. I weigh myself everyday, and always have, and always will, because I want to, but you should stay consistent for several days, then you may go down another pound or two and then you will stay consistent with that. Don't get impatient. You will get to your goal. Don't obsess and just start to enjoy your new life and don't worry about the calories and the word "diet". This is not a diet. You are finished with dieting! Good luck to all of you. LOVE my sleeve!