Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Shake Alternatives

Does anyone have any? Almost every Protein Shake I have tried makes me throw up. I received the Protein Ultimate brand from my bariatric center, but I've also tried different powders in the past and they all have the same result. Then I decided to not make a Protein shake and to, instead, put a scoop of the powder in a smoothie. That did not fool my stomach at all and up it came. I'm going to guess that throwing up all the time is not a good thing but since we all know that we need to get that protein in......

Any suggestions?

I went through the same thing, and just had to not use them. Once I got to mushies, I didn't have to worry about using Protein supplements as I could get all my Protein from food sources.

I even tried soy and veggie Proteins, but they all made me puke. It wasn't worth it, and my surgeon was more concerned with me staying hydrated than he was me getting in protein the first 3 weeks of the post-op diet. I tried over 20 brands, flavors and varieties without any success.

That makes me feel better. I definitely think I'm going to have to forgo the Protein Powder, but then I was worried about not getting enough Protein. Which I'm not even sure what enough is. I had a visit with my NUT and when I asked her about numbers and stuff (like how many carbs, how much protein) she was kind of like, ehhh don't really worry about that; just eat protein at every meal.

I am so glad you posted this. I am having absolutely the same problem. Whenever I attempted to drink my Protein Shake, I will get a swallow in and then feel really sick afterwards. I thought that I was just sabotaging myself. I have also been craving more food now. I am not sure if this is my body yearning for the Protein. I have eaten four times in the last two days. This is something very different for me, usually I would have no appetite. Let me know if there is anythings in particular that you do that works for you. Thanks

I'm so sorry that all of you are going through this! Can't imagine the anxiety prior to every meal, and then the pain of vomiting afterwards. I hope that you find a lot of other options through this board.

I had surgery on 10/26 and I'm still on full-liquids. One of my options is egg-drop Soup and yesterday I made it twice because I needed a break from artificial sweetners (the taste just gets stuck on my tongue and I can't stand it!)

I was nervous because I thought "but, scrambled eggs aren't until I'm on mushies - Stage IV", but the way the egg is cooked in this Soup makes it like silky strands that just dissolve, rather than pieces of egg. I had it twice yesterday, took it really slow, and had no issues.

I appreciated the ease of making it, the convenience of having everything on hand (chicken broth and eggs) and the fact that an egg has 6grams of Protein (while I'm also getting in the Fluid of the soup). While it's not an amazing amount, like the Protein shakes, it is something.

I also want to mention that when I just can't take my Protein shake, I have a carnation instant breakfast(no sugar added). I was given this on my last day in the hospital when I was moved to stage 3 liquids. In terms of protein, it's only 13grams, but it's much thinner than my Protein Shake and it just seems "milder". Again, not the best source of protein, but perhaps an option (and at $3.99 for a box, it's not much of an investment either).

I wish you all the best of luck!!!

Sorry to say...I'm pretty sure the egg drop Soup is supposed to be strained before eating early out....

As for me, I lived on egg drop Soup for my one week pre op diet. Lost over 10 pounds and was very happy with the results.

As for the Protein shake part. I would suggest everyone go to GNC. You can buy their product and if you dont like bring it back full refund (with receipt). I have this stuff it is the extreme 60 whey Protein (choc flavor) and I also got their shaker cup that has the metal ball in the middle. That will help due away with powder forming and will break it all up. I am extremely happy with this product. I put 12 oz of organic low fat milk with 1 1/2 scoops and it tastes like a choc shake from McD's.

Jovonia

As for me, I lived on egg drop Soup for my one week pre op diet. Lost over 10 pounds and was very happy with the results.

As for the Protein shake part. I would suggest everyone go to GNC. You can buy their product and if you dont like bring it back full refund (with receipt). I have this stuff it is the extreme 60 whey Protein (choc flavor) and I also got their shaker cup that has the metal ball in the middle. That will help due away with powder forming and will break it all up. I am extremely happy with this product. I put 12 oz of organic low fat milk with 1 1/2 scoops and it tastes like a choc shake from McD's.

Jovonia

I have been using (I am pre sleeve starting my two week pre-op diet today) the GNC Pro Performance AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 (we have Cookies N Cream, banana Cream and Chocolate) and I mixed the full three scoops with 12oz of 1% milk and it actually tastes pretty good and with 60g of Protein they keep me full!!!

I had my pre ops tests today and also met with the NUT, she made the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup for me to try and also let me try some grape Isopure. I must say the chicken flavored Soup was SO good. It didn't have that "proteiny" taste and it was such a nice change from all of the sweet flavors. I bought 2 tubs of it today! One serving has 21 Proteins and only 90 calories, 0 fats and 1 carb. I think they sell samples on their website. The grape Isopure was pretty good too.

Good luck Fleur, I hope you find something that works for you and also congrats on your progress!!

:)

How are you making the shakes? I use a blender which puts a lot of air in the shakes and I have to drink them real slow or I would throw up. I also like making sugar free puddings I especially love the butterscotch pudding with About Time Vanilla. I also love the Unjury chicken Soup Protein powder I mixed it in strained chicken noodle soup (just don't make it hot because it changes its consistency).

Nancy

Sparky- I hate egg drop Soup. I think it's the consistency that I can't handle. But I might give the carnation instant breakfasts a try.

Diann- I have. To me, it's more disgusting with Water than with milk.

Jovonia- I've tried GNC before. Several times. LOL. I have the blender ball as well and when I used it to make my shake, it made it super frothy and even more unbearable.

Rhonda- I haven't tried any of the unjury products. At this point, I'm tired of spending money on stuff that I (most likely) won't like.

FlyGirl- Thanks!

Luna- Initially, I made them in a blender. Then, I used my blender cup thing, the one with the metal ball inside. That way made it more frothy than in the blender, but the taste was the same. Bleh.

However, I have heard so many good things about Unjury. If I decide to give it one more try, I'll try that one. But now that I can eat, I might just stick to getting Protein from my food.

Thanks everyone for your responses!!

I am 5 weeks tomorrow. I was using 25 g 100% Whey Choc Protein. I put 1 scoop protein powder,2 tbsp Peanut Butter and 2 oz skim milk the rest ice. Throw it in my Magic Bullet and it tastes like a milk shake. I tried GNC Protein bullet fruit punch, so gross. I'm, looking for receipt now I spent $40.00 on 12. The last week or so I have been getting my protein through my food.< /p>

I tried a bunch of different Protein shakes prior to surgery and I could handle them all, but now since surgery, they make me a little sick to my stomach, so I have stayed away from them. My doctor allows his patients to go to mushies which I am only 2 weeks out. He said that a long as it can be blended up then eat it. Somethings are pretty gross blended, but I have found that tuna fish and chicken salad can be mushed up pretty good and I take my time and it goes down pretty good. Needless to say I can only eat about 2 to 3 ounces. I remember my NUT saying that getting Protein from food is a lot better than the supplement anyway.

Lisa