Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Official What You Will Need For Your Upcoming Weightloss Surgery Thread!

thank you i agree i have to let them know my mind. i just wanted to stay in the hospital through the holiday so i didnt have them gang up on me all at once. i wasn't sure my emotions will be able to take it post op.

You will only be 2 days out from MAJOR surgery, you will be in NO shape to be going off to join them for the day of "festivities" OR be up for visitors!!! Hubby needs to become the gate-keeper and you need to rest and stay on your meds, in between sipping and walking. Trust me, this will be your full-time job at least thru the weekend! ;) Best wishes on your surgery AND with your family!

I had surgery 12/5 and found this thread to be so helpful. For me personally, I found the most valuable thing to bring was the 6 foot extension cord. My hospital provided a hard pillow for your tummy so I didnt need to bring one but I sure used it a lot. I didnt need the heating pad but couldve gotten one from the hospital if I needed it. I did bring my own firm pillow from home with a dark brown pillow case so it wasnt mistaken for a hospital one. I didnt read any of the magazines or books I brought, I was either sleeping, watching tv, visiting or taking walks.

One thing I found very helpful was not something I brought to the hospital but something I took home from it. The staff emphasizes that you need to take small sips of Water but also that you need to get in a certain number of ounces each day. For me, it was 60-80. They gave me a few of those little plastic cups that they dispense medicine in. They had a two ounce capacity so I would fill them up and take four sips out of them (1/2 ounce at a time.) Then I made a tick mark on a piece of paper to keep track of my intake. After a couple of days I didn't have to use them anymore because I had trained myself to take those small sips and could gauge my water from there.

hand sanitizer

sugar free hard cand to suck on

Great list. Thank you so much to everyone who contributed. I wish I had a list like this when I had my lapband. I am currently considering a revision to the sleeve and hope to get it sooner rather than later.

Thanks again!

Wow, these are all great ideas and I want to thank everyone for these great suggestions. I am having my sleeve on March 11th so I am just starting out. I have so much running around to do to get all the forms I need from my various doctors before I have my second visit with my surgeon. I am excited and nervous all at the same time. Thanks again everybody!!

I had my surgery 12/21 amd I can honestly say Im feeling pretty good...I found that sleeping on the stomach is the best, you cant do it in the hospital, but at home and also lean on a pillow or balled up t shirt helps too, remember to take all your meds and do everything the doctor says, I am working on getting all my fluids in but it is more difficult because you feel like you are drinking all the time, but the sooner you do this the easier it will get. good luck on your surgery, and remember the first few days are the worst, dont gague the rest of your life on it, oh and remember to get some liquid motrin or tyenol, just in case

I had my surgery to days ago, the only thing I brought to the hospital with me were a change of clothes, and my phone. I wasnt even on my phone that much because I was sleepy.

some great ideas... thanks my sleeve day is feb 7th.

After 24 hours here in the hospital and packing my bag, the only things Ive touch out of it is brush toothbrush toothpaste and chap stick. I packed nightgowns and my laptop etc. thinking I would need it

Yeah right I havent even turned the TV on yet

I dont plan on taking much myself. No pj or nities, don't want to run the risk of getting any blood on them, they provide you with nice purple gripping socks and I am good with that. I will bring my phone and tablet, tablet I takes notes on and write down any question i need answers to and instructions and tips. i can read on my tablet and listen to music as the hospital I will be in has free WiFi for everyone in the hospital. I brought a sweat suit if you will that I will wear to the hospital and wear home. I will have it on about 1 hour tops so it will be clean, a couple of pairs of underwear/panities, a bra, probably a front closing sports bra. And my blankie....lol yeah I said blankie...don't judge me....lol... That is about all I am taking and will need. They have these huge gowns which will double as a robe so I am good. Oh and my head phones gotta listen to my tune, more thank likely will have a private room so I am str8. Best of Luck everyone

Where did everyone find the gas x strips at?