Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-op blurry vision

Sign in to follow this  

I am definitely talking to my dr. on Wed. when I go back for my follow up visit. I noticed in on Sat after getting released from the hospital. I tried to lay down and read a magazine and everything was blurry. Now I'm 2 day post-op and it hasn't gotten any better.

I suffer from amblyopia which means that one of my eyes sees great (20/20) and the other eye was deemed lazy and I've always worn glasses to correct my lazy eye (oh and it isn't physically lazy, you can't tell by looking at my eyes which one is lazy...it is just *brain* lazy.) So I'm not sure if this is just part of my body adjusting to surgery, or a side effect or what

Has anyone else had blurry vision after surgery and how long did it take to go back to normal??

Interesting that you should post this today, since I was just talking about it last night.

I had LASIK 13 years ago with great results. They told me then that I may start getting the "old-age" farsightedness a little earlier than I would have otherwise because of the surgery, and I have been needing to wear the drugstore granny glasses for reading for the last year. At the same time, my distance vision, which was corrected with the LASIK, should have gotten even slightly sharper...

BUT, over the last few months, it's gotten noticeably WORSE! Unless I'm in really bright light, like sunlight, everything's blurry. I'm kinda bummed, although at the time I said if I got 5 years without glasses or contacts, it'd be worth it. I'm gonna have to do something about it though, cause my vision indoors and at night is really getting sucky. :(

OMG! This happened to me too and I thought I was just going crazy! My vision has gotten really blurry since my surgery on Sept 27th and I have to use my reading glasses to read just about everything now. Before I hardly used them unless I was sitting down to read something lengthy like a novel or a contract.

I hadn't seen anyone else post about this so thought it was just me.

Hi,

I too have had laser eye surgery, and have been doing well for 13 years. After surgery I got blurry vision but not all the time. It seemed more often then not though. I have found when I have a bad Water day and am dehydrated my blurry vision gets worse. I drive for a living and the long hours takes a toll on the eyes being blurry as well. So maybe lack of hydration and sitting to long, looking at the puter or reading may affect the vision. I am 4 months out and still am having trouble with getting all my Water in, but was like that before the surgery...it has always been a struggle.

Hope this might help...take a look at your hydration levels....and I also put tear gel into my eyes, especially at night before bed when oxygen to the eye is more limited...this has helped me.

K'Bear

I had the blurry vision for about a week. I think it may have to do with anesthesia. Hope it gets better for you.

I am definitely talking to my dr. on Wed. when I go back for my follow up visit. I noticed in on Sat after getting released from the hospital. I tried to lay down and read a magazine and everything was blurry. Now I'm 2 day post-op and it hasn't gotten any better.

I suffer from amblyopia which means that one of my eyes sees great (20/20) and the other eye was deemed lazy and I've always worn glasses to correct my lazy eye (oh and it isn't physically lazy, you can't tell by looking at my eyes which one is lazy...it is just *brain* lazy.) So I'm not sure if this is just part of my body adjusting to surgery, or a side effect or what

Has anyone else had blurry vision after surgery and how long did it take to go back to normal??

I'm glad you posted this - I thought it was just me.. I am an avid reader and for a few days I could not focus. It was sort of blurry, but more like the words were moving - I just couldn't get my eyes to focus. By the end of the first week it was pretty much gone. I noticed it improved at about the same rate my dizziness passed. I am thinking it probably was dehydration, cus once I was able to actually drink on my own, it got much better.

I addressed this to my surgeon at my first pre-op appt. He said he's heard of this and he believes its side effect from the anesthesia. I am 4 weeks post op, and my vision has gone back to normal.

My vision was fine after surgery, but started getting worse 2-3 months post-op and it seems like it's getting worse quicker the farther out I get!

Oh I'm so glad that I am not the ONLY one this has ever happened too. Not that I would *wish* this on anyone...

Things are better as long as I'm wearing my glasses, but like Pamela I was used to only wearing them "as needed" i.e. not all the time. I had my mom be my co-pilot today and actually drove the girls to school. I'm 5 days post-op today. I have my follow-up today with my surgeon and I'm getting my drain removed. I cannot tell you how freaking happy I will be to have this drain OUT OF MY BODY. UGH! I literally cannot wait for it to go away. More than stitches, cuts, soreness, pain, blurry vision, the drain is by far the worst of everything. lol. CAN NOT WAIT!!!

I had something similar. It turned out anti-naseau medicine can make your vision blurry. I was extremely naseaus in the hospital so i was on on 3 medicines includind the patch. As soon as I removed the patch my vision started to improve.