Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So this is what normal feels like?

I had surgery January 13, 2010. My highest weight (after most likely a Christmas cookie binge) was 251. On my day of surgery, I weighed 243. Yesterday morning I weighed 156.4.

My initial goal was 175 but that came and went without question in August. During my whole journey, I always sort of wondered if I could 'make it' to a normal BMI. When I reached 175, I reset my goal to keep stepping closer to 157 (normal BMI for my height). I have teetered back and forth but hadn't "officially" made it until this morning . I record my weight on Wednesdays so those are the only weights that "count".

I realized also that I hadn't taken my measurements since February! I just took them and have lost 132 inches in 15 areas of my body since my surgery. Amazing.

I could go on and on about the differences in my life, my eating habits, how I don't dream about my next meal or sit home on the weekends because my clothes don't fit or cover up with a sweater even though it's hotter than heck out...but...just trust me...

I've been training for a half marathon that I will complete in less than a month and am happy to say that life sure is nicer when you feel better about yourself and your health is in order.

My sister is scheduled to be sleeved next month and I am very excited about her journey. I hope it will bring us closer and I'll have someone to go shopping with!!

It's stories like yours that give everyone not at goal yet a great big smile! I can't wait to be where you are. Congratulations! You are an INSPIRATION!!!!!

These are the kind of stories I love to hear! Thanks for sharing. I started very close to where you did. I hope to be as successful as you in 10 months.

It's stories like yours that give everyone not at goal yet a great big smile! I can't wait to be where you are. Congratulations! You are an INSPIRATION!!!!!

Thank you :) I could never really visualize myself at this place and even now it seems surreal. I walked by a mirror today and looked away quickly because I was so startled at who was looking back. I hardly recognized myself. By the way, we had the same surgeon. You're doing awesome--keep up the great work!

What an awesome story. I am so happy for you. I remember hitting "normal" and it definitely felt surreal. CONGRATULATIONS!

:D:D:D:D:D

I can't wait for the day when I walk by a mirror and do not recognise myself skinny. I do it now as I do not believe that I am as big as I look in the mirror. The mirror never lies (unless its a trick mirror lol).

I have to say congratulations on making it to a healthy BMI and living a healthy lifestyle like we were ment to do.

Lily

I had surgery January 13, 2010. My highest weight (after most likely a Christmas cookie binge) was 251. On my day of surgery, I weighed 243. Yesterday morning I weighed 156.4.

My initial goal was 175 but that came and went without question in August. During my whole journey, I always sort of wondered if I could 'make it' to a normal BMI. When I reached 175, I reset my goal to keep stepping closer to 157 (normal BMI for my height). I have teetered back and forth but hadn't "officially" made it until this morning . I record my weight on Wednesdays so those are the only weights that "count".

I realized also that I hadn't taken my measurements since February! I just took them and have lost 132 inches in 15 areas of my body since my surgery. Amazing.

I could go on and on about the differences in my life, my eating habits, how I don't dream about my next meal or sit home on the weekends because my clothes don't fit or cover up with a sweater even though it's hotter than heck out...but...just trust me...

I've been training for a half marathon that I will complete in less than a month and am happy to say that life sure is nicer when you feel better about yourself and your health is in order.

My sister is scheduled to be sleeved next month and I am very excited about her journey. I hope it will bring us closer and I'll have someone to go shopping with!!

CONGRATULATIONS, SO WONDERFUL TO HEAR. I AM NOT SCHEDULED UNTIL NEXT YEAR, BUT I AM EXCITED TO TELL MY STORY ONE DAY. THANKS FOR THE INSPIRATION.

Thank you :) I could never really visualize myself at this place and even now it seems surreal. I walked by a mirror today and looked away quickly because I was so startled at who was looking back. I hardly recognized myself. By the way, we had the same surgeon. You're doing awesome--keep up the great work!

Your welcome and thank you! Btw, could you pretty please post some new pic's. We would love to she what you see in the mirror!

Hope that didn't sound to weird=).

Hey Emerald,

Congrats on hitting a healthy BMI... I agree with the others, your story is an inspiration... The timing is perfect for me at the moment, as I have been struggling for the past week or so!

I love the way you said your reflection startled you... what a lovely feeling that must be.

Also, training for a half marathon.. that is amazing and something that I have been thinking about doing... overhere in the UK there is a 'Race for Life' that raises money for breast cancer and my daughter wants to do that with me... any advise on how to start the training as I can't run a bath ...lol

:P

Thank you so much. I needed your story today. I am 10 days out and have had my day of crying and buyer's remorse. I am past that now and glad that I had this done. I started at 246 and was 198 the day of surgery. My pre-op nurse tried to talk me out of the surgery!!!! I do not regret it, but was in need of the encouragement of your post as I move toward "regular" food. I went out to eat with my son and husband 2 days ago. I had no idea that a bowl of egg drop Soup could taste soooo good. Only hassle was when I asked the waitress to please take it back and have it strained, (I was only 9 days out). You would have thought that I had asked to have it totally redone!!! She finally brought it back and it was wonderful. It was so hard to leave her a tip!! lol. Anyway, again thank you so much for your encouragement. You have helped me take another step forward!!!

Your welcome and thank you! Btw, could you pretty please post some new pic's. We would love to she what you see in the mirror!

Hope that didn't sound to weird=).

Okaaaaaaaay :) I deleted all of my pics off of OH and feel weird having a lot of them out there on the web but here goes!!

Thank you so much. I needed your story today. I am 10 days out and have had my day of crying and buyer's remorse. I am past that now and glad that I had this done. I started at 246 and was 198 the day of surgery. My pre-op nurse tried to talk me out of the surgery!!!! I do not regret it, but was in need of the encouragement of your post as I move toward "regular" food. I went out to eat with my son and husband 2 days ago. I had no idea that a bowl of egg drop Soup could taste soooo good. Only hassle was when I asked the waitress to please take it back and have it strained, (I was only 9 days out). You would have thought that I had asked to have it totally redone!!! She finally brought it back and it was wonderful. It was so hard to leave her a tip!! lol. Anyway, again thank you so much for your encouragement. You have helped me take another step forward!!!

I remember early out feelings like so many things were so difficult and wondering if I'd ever feel the way I do today. I'm here to tell you that it WILL get better and one day, you'll look back and be amazed at how those early struggles will quickly fade and your body will be transforming before your eyes.

Hey Emerald,

Congrats on hitting a healthy BMI... I agree with the others, your story is an inspiration... The timing is perfect for me at the moment, as I have been struggling for the past week or so!

I love the way you said your reflection startled you... what a lovely feeling that must be.

Also, training for a half marathon.. that is amazing and something that I have been thinking about doing... overhere in the UK there is a 'Race for Life' that raises money for breast cancer and my daughter wants to do that with me... any advise on how to start the training as I can't run a bath ...lol

:P

Thank you :) I really like the Jeff Galloway method of run/walk...and I think it is an excellent program especially if you have not been a runner and don't really have that "runner-gene". His training incorporates timed walk breaks (for example: run 1 minute/walk 1 minute).

Start with walking if you haven't done any cardio but then start adding in a few jogs...like from where you are to the next Stop sign, etc. and eventually do intervals of time like 1/1 like I mentioned above. I have a watch that beeps on the intervals to help with the timing. It's great!

I have been training with a group and that certainly helps. You might be able to find a "Getting Started" type group in your area that is training for their first 5k, etc. Sometimes running stores offer these types of programs for beginners. GOOD LUCK!! YOU CAN DO IT!!! :)

Wow Emerald -- that is so awesome -- I can't imagine being startled by my own reflection -- it just reflects (pun intended) your hard work and dedication. I can hardly wait to see your pics! :) Congratulations! :D

Thank you :) I really like the Jeff Galloway method of run/walk...and I think it is an excellent program especially if you have not been a runner and don't really have that "runner-gene". His training incorporates timed walk breaks (for example: run 1 minute/walk 1 minute).

Start with walking if you haven't done any cardio but then start adding in a few jogs...like from where you are to the next Stop sign, etc. and eventually do intervals of time like 1/1 like I mentioned above. I have a watch that beeps on the intervals to help with the timing. It's great!

I have been training with a group and that certainly helps. You might be able to find a "Getting Started" type group in your area that is training for their first 5k, etc. Sometimes running stores offer these types of programs for beginners. GOOD LUCK!! YOU CAN DO IT!!! :)

Thanks Emerald... I have sorta started this when I am in the gym on the running machine... when I am brave enough I will hit the streets... not sure if my village is ready for me yet though...lol... at least I know that I am going in the right direction!!

Good luck for your half marathon x