Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I weigh 400 lbs...will this help me?

hello. When i went in for my sleeve on june 2nd 2010, I weighed 507lbs. I weighed in yesterday at 255lbs. make the decision and start a new life.

Wow!!!!!!! Fabulous job!!!! Big CONGRATS TO YOU!!!!

Wondering what you decided Holly. I had the sleeve 6/29/10 and currently have lost almost half of what I want to lose at 8 months. It might take me a total of 20 months but I feel sure I will get there this way.

Hi there,

I weighed 405 when I started out. I lost 28 pounds during the 6 month preop diet and just got sleeved Monday.

If you do your research, on paper it shows that the Lap Band's success rate is not very good for someone at a high weight like 400. This is the same for RNY because you're only going to lose about 100 pounds or so. My doctor basically told me that VSG was the safest surgery at 400+ pounds and leaves the door open for RNY/Lapband if a patient still wants that down the line.

Mind you, after having my surgery and the miserable experience that has ensued.. I would make sure that you are ready for this operation. The operation is like dying to be reborn. I have bruises on my arms from how many times they had to redo the IV, and aches and pains that are just starting to go away five days later. It is going to save your life, but it is going to kill the old one as well. You might as well know that going in.

This is excellently said! I could never had said it better and it is SOOOOO true. . .as Jane said "It's going to save your life, but it's going to kill the old one as well. You might as well know that going in" How true it is!

hello. When i went in for my sleeve on june 2nd 2010, I weighed 507lbs. I weighed in yesterday at 255lbs. make the decision and start a new life.

That is really fantastic! Congratulations on that.

Outstanding! From you, my new friend, I have to find out more. I am where you have been. Oct 14, 2010 I weighed 496. I was sleeved Jan 10,2011 and am as of today 404. It's a long road to go yet.

Outstanding! From you, my new friend, I have to find out more. I am where you have been. Oct 14, 2010 I weighed 496. I was sleeved Jan 10,2011 and am as of today 404. It's a long road to go yet.

New member here, and pretty much in the same boat. I was sleeved on Nov 22, 2010. I was at 497lb the day of sleeving and I'm at 394 now. Its good to see someone like GOGiants keeping up the weight loss (those are impressive stats!). Thats one thing I have been concerned about, the rate of weight loss falling as time goes by.

New member here, and pretty much in the same boat. I was sleeved on Nov 22, 2010. I was at 497lb the day of sleeving and I'm at 394 now. Its good to see someone like GOGiants keeping up the weight loss (those are impressive stats!). Thats one thing I have been concerned about, the rate of weight loss falling as time goes by.

Welcome! Congratulations on your loss....great job! Yes it's a definite source of encouragement. I have also had that concern. Thus far I've been doing so well it's like I keep bracing myself for the eventual slow down. I just keep trying to be proactive and do the things I need to do in order to give myself the best possible outcome.

For me it's such a strange feeling having come this far to then realize I'm still at a weight that would horrify most people. I keep thinking one day I will be able to look back and say I've lost 250, 260, etc lbs.

Welcome! Congratulations on your loss....great job! Yes it's a definite source of encouragement. I have also had that concern. Thus far I've been doing so well it's like I keep bracing myself for the eventual slow down. I just keep trying to be proactive and do the things I need to do in order to give myself the best possible outcome.

For me it's such a strange feeling having come this far to then realize I'm still at a weight that would horrify most people. I keep thinking one day I will be able to look back and say I've lost 250, 260, etc lbs.

Ha Ha..thats exactly right. I go through that as well. Sometimes I get too excited about my 100lb weight loss and have to reground myself in how much there is left to do. It's a marathon for us, not a sprint (even though I'm looking forward to actually being able to sprint one day!).

Just wanted to chime in here for a sec... do not underestimate how far any of you have come! It *is* ok to look back and pat yourself on the back for a job well done. Don't feel guilty for being proud of what you have lost so far simply because you still have a long road ahead.

Sometimes it's the positive reinforcement from *myself* as opposed to anyone else that really keeps me motivated to continue on with the rest of the journey. Kudos to all of you!!!

*Now back to the thread*

B)

Guest liveagain1973

It's worked well for me. Look at this. http://www.fight4yourlifeonline.org/?page_id=144

I want to get under 200 lbs. I have a ways to go, but because of vsg, I'm actually on my way this time. Trying to do it alone was just too difficult.

I am trying to decide between the sleeve and the RNY. I know it is just a tool and we have to work at it. I am just afraid that the sleeve will not be enough for me due to my weight. i have more than 200 lbs to lose. More like 250. I am a self pay so I don't want to do something that will not be enough. I am goign to see the surgeon tomorrow to discuss it but would like feedback from those who might be in similar boat. Thanks in advance.

Guest liveagain1973

I can't wait to get here!

i weighed 428.5 lbs on dec 1, 2010, and just had the sleeve done last wed. i was told weight loss is very similat to rny, im currently at 384, in a good mood still, no complications, no mood swings, but im sure theyre coming from what ive heard and read. i think the quality of life will be greater with the sleeve then the rny, thats why i chose it.

I was 575 lbs, couldn't breathe, could hardly move, felt hopeless, I didn't want to diet only to fail again and end up weighing 600+ lbs...

I was immobile for the most part walking was hard, getting dressed was hard, it took me several minutes to get off the floor.

I started my own pre-op diet I have always been extremely successful at losing the weight but this time the sleeve was going to be my savior my hero...

I started and hit several snags in the process due to local hospitals not supporting my size, a new job, and 3 appeals with Cigna but I made it.

I was sleeved at 375 lbs, I lost 200 lbs on my pre op diet because I knew it would be the last "diet" I would ever be doing...

The sleeve was great I now weigh around 260 lbs and can still lose as long as I do what's right

I can run I barely sweat, it takes a lot for me to get winded, i'm sleeping better and i'm having the best sex of my life!!!