Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am in the process of getting ready to go through with the vertical sleeve, I would like to ask the veterans about their experience with Hair loss, when does it happen, can it be avoided, can it be lessened and...finally does the hair return? In some of the pictures that I see I see women with a full head of hair so I am confused. noidea.gif

Hello. I'm NEW at this too!!! I'm going to have my surgery sometime in December. I went to get a hair cut today and told my hair dresser what I was planning on doing....and I told her BUT PLEASE DON'T TELL ANYBODY my Husband doesn't want his FAMILY to know. Anyway, she told me to start taking Biotin and Omega 3. She said I will lose some hair but it will grow back. I don't know this for sure but this is what she told me.

Yes Biotin and Omega 3 sound good but if we become low on Iron then that can cause Hair loss. I have had a little bit of a problem because of my PCOS so sometimes my hair does fall which really irritates me but I will do whatever I can, I think going from all the food we normally eat to maintain our bodies and what it is used to then to life after the sleeve it must be a shock on the body I think from what I hear I will be eating as much as my four year old does now. something like a tube of toothpaste that is what I heard we will be able to hold...oh boy......I guess you can't have it all the fat or the hair?LOL Obviously I would rather have my health.

Yes Biotin and Omega 3 sound good but if we become low on Iron then that can cause hair loss. I have had a little bit of a problem because of my PCOS so sometimes my hair does fall which really irritates me but I will do whatever I can, I think going from all the food we normally eat to maintain our bodies and what it is used to then to life after the sleeve it must be a shock on the body I think from what I hear I will be eating as much as my four year old does now. something like a tube of toothpaste that is what I heard we will be able to hold...oh boy......I guess you can't have it all the fat or the hair?LOL Obviously I would rather have my health.

My surgery was 4-29-2010. I have taken my vitiaims and even the Biotin and Omega .My hair started "shedding" at 2 months and slowly got worse until I hit 5 months, it has slowed way down.I'm now 5 1/2 months out and had my hair done two days ago,it is alot thinner but thankfully no bald spots just less volume.Keep up your Protein,Vitamins and try not to stress about it.It was well worth it. :)

my experience is similar to cwalker - started losing hair at 2 months... months 3 & 4 I have lost a lot... clump after clump when I shower. Also I used to clean out my hairbrush ever 2 months, now I have to clean it out every week. But, other people can't really notice how much thinner my hair has gotten. It doesn't leave bald spots, it just thins out. EVERYONE who has been through this tells me that by about 7-8 months, it will start to re-grow, and by about 1 yr out to 14 months, it will be back to normal.

Started losing profuse amounts of hair at 3.5 months, it lasted a solid 3 months. I literally lost half of my hair volume-wise, but it does come back. I'm 16 months out, and it's only come in about 1/4 of what I lost, but it's coming back in. I have tons of new growth.

Nothing will stop it. You can help with regrowth by taking a hair/nail supplement such as Biotin, or another hair/nail supplement with zinc. I chose to use Folicure Shampoo, and Nexxus dualiste anti-breakage shampoo conditioner. I used Folicure every couple of days and on the opposite days I used the Nexxus. I didn't blow dry, use my flat Iron or do any processing like highlights or color during that time per my stylist. You can find Folicure shampoo at beauty supply stores such as Sally's, or online via Amazon.com I found the Nexxus Dualiste at Wal-Mart with the other shampoos.

I lost half my hair and I took everything and anything I was told that would stop Hair loss. I got plenty of Protein the entire time from the 3rd day of being sleeved over 17 months ago . I do have new growth all over the place and I will be so happy when my hair is thicker. I used to have really thick hair, but now it's really thin.

I have been noticing Hair loss starting last week. I started taking Biotin as suggested here. It is a little shocking but I was prepared because of this forum. Its a small price to pay to me. By the time I'm where I want to be it should be coming back.

I also have lost about 1/2 the fullness in my hair - started about 5-6 months post-op for me. Luckily I had tons of hair to start with, so it's not noticeable to others. But it feels really strange when it's wet in the shower or when I put it in a ponytail and have such a small amount in my hand. I tried Biotin for a few months and couldn't see a difference so I stopped it. I've also been using Nutri-Ox shampoo/conditioner/serum for thinning hair from Sally Beauty, but I don't know if it's really doing anything.

I have long hair, so it will probably be a year or two before I can tell a difference. I do see some short hairs growing back in, but I'm also still losing hair - albeit a little slower than a few months ago.

I just had mine done on October 8th; haven't lost any hair yet but did do some research and found out that Lutein (which is used to prevent macular degeneration) is also used to prevent Hair loss and can be found in any drug store.

Yeah, you don't go bald or anything, but a lot of people get thin enough that they can see through the really thin spots. I lost a ton of hair between 3-7 months, but it never showed because I had a ton of hair to begin with. At 7 months it gradually started slowing down and now at almost 9 months, I'm back to shedding just the usual amount.

I had my sleeve done in July. I have alot of thick hair and lost hair easily before - cleaning out my brush about every week. I can't really tell a difference since the surgery so I am not sure if I am losing more hair or not. If I am, it isn't noticeable.

Im super nervous about this part...I am already suffering from Hair loss due to my high testosterone level, which is causing me to literally go bald on the top of my head. It is very obvious if I brush my hair straight back or part it in the middle, so I do a side part and its not so bad. I hope hope HOPE that after surgery my hair loss doesn't get too much worse, even though I think it probably will. Either way, I hope my testosterone level will go back to normal after my surgery, and one day Ill have a nice head full of hair again :)

My hair thinned and then it came back again, now it is as normal. Took about a year to ping back completely.

Jane x

I'm shedding well now... every time I wash it I can see how much is coming out.... I took Biotin right from pre op and am still taking it now, always managing to get my Protein in, and still it sheds, so not sure if its really helping or not. but will continue to take it.

No bald bits just general thinning, so hoping some may regrow eventually!