Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am worried..can someone give me their input.

I am 6 1/2 weeks out and today we had a birthday party fir my daughter. Im going to list everything I ate today and I wanna know how it sounds to everyone. Remember we had a party so Im aware that some of my food choices werent the best but they were small...

Breakfast

1 egg

1 slice of bacon

4 ounces of coffee (maybe i think it was lot less)

lunch

Hot Dog with chili and cheese (i took one bite of hot dog bread then ate only the beef weiner with a small bit of chili and cheese)

Chees puffs ( I admit i think it was a lil tiny bit more then a hand full)

Cake (took two bite and could barely swallow the second bit but it went down) Cake was about an hour after lunch

dinner

Before gym I had 6 ounces of Water with a Protein Powder

Here is where I am worried

After gym

I was sooo hungry

I had lots of a Diet Pepsi Max it was a 20 0z (almost half) while making Nachos (daughter gets to choose dinner for birthday)

then I had what i felt was alot of Nachos for my stomach to hold but wasnt feeling the restriction???? I thought I was only going to be abke to eat a couple of Nachos cause I knew I had drank alot of Pepsi while making them...but I stopped myself instead of my stomach stopping me. I have to admit I have grown dependant on my stomach telling me to stop and i just feel like I ate alot...I didnt finish my bowl but I didnt expect to be able to eat half of it and I think I did.

Did I stretch my sleeve already or could this possibly have been a slider food I hear so much about? The Nachos were made with velveeta, rotel, and ground beef.

Please some input from somebody...i could probably use some constructive criticism.... My first party after surgery.

Total slider foods especially chips, cheetos, velveeta pretty much anything that is a fatty, carby food is a slider for me.. Plus, with the carbs you could have been hungry (if you keep carbs low on normal days) because sometimes eating carbs causes carb cravings and hunger.

You'll be okay. I can eat what seems like a bottomless bowl of chips, pretzel, heck even rice goes right down with zero restriction. It's extremely difficult to stretch out our sleeve, and it would take a huge amount of chronic overeating to do so, and even then, your stomach will never be pre-op size. I would encourage you to measure your portions, track your food in calories. Protein and carbs and don't rely on getting that "full feeling" because it's just going to lead to overeating. I say this because I can now eat double what I could at your stage, and if I relied on my full signal, or let me stomach tell me to stop eating, I would eat a lot more food.

Parties happen, we all attend some sort of function, the sleeve is just that tool we need to get us out of the serving line and really into the social/entertaining aspect of the party ! ! !

I'm four months out and what I have found is if I eat more carbs than normal (normal as in what I eat day to day since my meals are mostly Protein centered), I find that I have that "empty" feeling sooner and for longer periods, plus I tend to crave the carb foods. Here is my thoughts: when I eat poorly, (ie higher carbs) I tend to want to snack more and have a deprived feeling. I believe that the carbs, crackers, chips that type of thing are the slider foods for me, plus I believe that it throws my body off and it sort of reverts back to "old ways". I too had a few times where I didn't eat like I should and it was very noticable to me in the way my body was responding and functioning for that day and the next. So since that, I try really hard to remember what I've learned about my body and it's response to what I eat. That helps me make better choices as the day goes along, plus I try to plan what I'm going to eat that day and that helps too. I think at times the weekends are the hardest for me because that is when I'm home and can graze and not follow a schedule. I'm still learning about myself, my body and my health, but I also find it totally fascinating how my body reacts to the foods I choose to feed it. Since I'm a little further out, I COULD begin to eat some what like the old way, so I'm try to remain conscious of that. When I began to fall back into those habits, that when I began to really notice how I was FEELING all over and it isn't just about the food anymore. I don't know if this is making sense or not, I sort of have a hard time putting it into words. Please let me know if I can try to clarify what I'm saying. ;)

Since surgery, I have attended 2 family birthday parties. In our family, everyone volunteers to bring a dish. So both times, I brought deviled eggs, which is something that is safe for me to eat. At the 1st party, I had 1 deviled egg, a small piece of BBQ chicken. At the 2nd party, I had 1 deviled egg and a piece of ham. I just made sure to bring something I could eat and it worked.

I have found that planning is the key. For example, your daughter wanted nachos, make a pot of chili to go with it. Chili is great with nachos. That way you get Protein from the beef and the Beans and stay on track.

That has worked for me, hope it helps.

I've also found that some days I can just plain eat a lot more than on other days. Don't know why, but it happens. Maybe today was just a day when, for whatever reason, you were able to eat more than usual.

I would suggest cutting out the soda if you can. There are studies that show even diet soda keeps your body accustomed to the sweet taste and that people who drink diet soda actually tend to weigh more than those who don't.

Thanks Guys....Im having a hard time with carbs mainly because my stomach doesnt like them right now but my brain does.... I have given in to my stomach though...I just dont like the feeling carbs have been giving me. I try every once in a while like today with the hot dog but like I said the first bite immediately reminds me. I didnt realize that the chips from the Nachos was carbs...but i didnt feel that so I dunno.... but Breads, Pasta, and rice and my stomach hates me! I need to remember though chips=Carbs! Thank you every one!!

I went of of soda, after drinking it for 25 plus years. I read an article that a lady ended up in the emergency room after drinking Diet Coke , after her Sleeve Surgery. I cut it out three weeks before my surgery. It was difficult, but I survived ,and now I don't have any desire to drink it. I have Crystal light, Water , or juice. ( the juice I water down because it tastes to sweet to me. In fact everything tastes to sweet. I don't like breakfast so I have a sugar free Instant Breakfast, and I only have lunch and dinner. Sometimes I have another Instant Breakfast and add Low fat Yogurt to it. It keeps me from over eating on those days I feel more hungry. I try not to snack at all. I still keep string cheese, Cottage Cheese, around for those days that I really have to have something before a mealtime. Those are just some suggestions. I really have craved Tomato based foods since my surgery, so I keep V8 in my fridge, and Tomato Soup in the cupboard. I try to stay away from chips and such. I haven't even tried them yet. Best of luck to ya. rolleyes.gif

I agree about the soda....one of the things that i really felt got me over weight was honesly not so much the food but soda. I coul drink tons of it and diet soda wasnt my thing. I knew that if I was going to do this surgery that I HAD TO stop soda....now its like "well, i should be ok with diet soda every once in awhile" Maybe I have i like once a week....but your absolutely right I shouldnt get ino a habit.

I swapped from soda to a little low joule flavoring and soluble Multivitamins.< /p>

Hope you're feeling better after your day. I think you have a lot of great replies. My input.. I gave up soda a long long time ago. I like saying.. well we don't keep soda in the house, so bring your own if you want it (to family/friends coming over.) I like that my children don't like soda. We are all off soda! I say cut out the soda is #1, and after reading your post, that was my first reaction... that the worst thing was the soda. And yeah, might help to say no to all chips too! I am trying to cut out chips alltogether. After not having them for so long, I'm hoping they taste too salty and greasy and fatty for me. At least that's what I'm hoping! I'm still early out.....

Good luck!

I was told by my Dr.'s office that carbonated drinks would stretch out you sleeve more than anything. They told me never to drink carbonated beverages. I have no experience with this I am only 3 weeks out but that is what my "diet" paperwork says.

There's a whole debate about soda for WLS patients that the carbonation can stretch the sleeve - but everyone disagrees so I don't know if it's true or not. I have only had ONE sip of soda here and there a few times. I figure just having one sip can't really stretch anything if that is true. For the most part I don't drink it at all.. .I think I've had one sip about 3 different times.

Also with chips I have definitely found them to be a slider food. Which is so weird because I thought a slider food would be yogurt or pudding or something of that consistency. But I can eat those little bags of chips you buy for a lunch box - I can polish one of those off without even feeling remotely full. If I were eating chicken breast, I'd only be able to eat 1/2 that volume of food. So for the most part I avoid chips now that I know this. I refuse to deny myself anything, so if I REALLY WANT chips, I'd have some. But I'm not going to mindlessly snack on them because they are there. If that makes sense :)

I would say just try to make better choices when you can -of course, a party is a special occasion and it's okay to splurge on stuff now and then. BUT, if you are WANTING to do better in these cases, you could have easily eaten your own foods throughout the day and just let bday cake be your little splurge, skip the nachos, etc. Try to stick to foods you know DO help you to feel the restriction. :)