Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I saw the comments about straws on the cabonation page. My Dr never mentioned that - what is that about.

My Dr essentially told me to eat twice as much Protein as anything else but to eat whatever I want. Choose healthy foods MOST of the time so I stay nutriitionally balanced.

Hi debinphoenix, at orientation they stressed that we would need to give up straws period! Every time yoiu inhale from a straw you're also taking in air into the stomach which they don't want you to do. This is a tough habit to break, but it's getting easier week by week. :rolleyes:

There are MANY sleeve patients on this forum who use straws with absolutely no problem. I stressed about using them and was told by my docs office that's it's personal preference. I have found that they allow me to drink with less air inhaled than when I drink without them. This isn't the case for everyone. But I drink much faster and easier with a straw. I wish I had tried them sooner because maybe I wouldn't have gotten dehydrated my first week post op. I slurp my Protein Drinks down in no time flat with a straw. It takes me forever to drink them the regular way. Give it a try and see how you feel. You're not going to keel over in stomach spasms from trying a few sips from a straw. If you don't like it, go back to just drinking your fluids. No big deal.

I'm four days out, and straws and sippy cups give me a panic attack. Remember that you had or will have a tube down your esophagus, etc. Sipping from a spoon feels the safest to me; when I sip from a glass sometimes I have to spit some back in because I took too much. My guess is that it's a very primal thing that you don't have to think about much. I expect to use a straw at some time in the future.

I use a straw all the time. I ask for a straw when I go out to eat and they bring me Water. I can't drink without a straw.

As far as carbonation goes, it's uncomfortable. I need to burp and I can't and I feel like I am going to blow up.

I am another that takes in alot of air when I drink.. Drinking with a straw helps me take in less air and I can drink more..

I've heard no straws too, but I was given them when I was in hospital... am gonna give them a try again as I swallow waaay too much air when I drink (wasn't drinking enough in hospital to make a proper decision). wink.gif

Hi debinphoenix, at orientation they stressed that we would need to give up straws period! Every time yoiu inhale from a straw you're also taking in air into the stomach which they don't want you to do. This is a tough habit to break, but it's getting easier week by week. :rolleyes:

hi

what about coffee and other beverages that stain the teeth. straws help alot in preventing that from happening.

I was afraid to use a straw, because I was told to stay away! BUT I have better results with the straw than without. My mom says I don't know how to sip! The straw allows me to control the flow of the liquid! I guess it really is personal.

Hi all, well here is my 2 cents worth. . . I'm fixin to Celebrate my 1 year out of surgery on the 29th, and in this past year from the beginning to the end I have and still do use a straw. . .the day of surgery I was given a straw. . . I guess everyone is different, but as you can see from me typing away on this forum, it didn't kill me. . . . CHEERS and the best fo luck to you all

Hi all, well here is my 2 cents worth. . . I'm fixin to Celebrate my 1 year out of surgery on the 29th, and in this past year from the beginning to the end I have and still do use a straw. . .the day of surgery I was given a straw. . . I guess everyone is different, but as you can see from me typing away on this forum, it didn't kill me. . . . CHEERS and the best fo luck to you all

I am so glad this subject came up, i also swallow way too much air when drinking from a glass, i have been using a straw since week two and had no problems at all and i am 3 months out. :))