Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone,

I hope that you don't mind if I introduce myself here, as well as ask an pre-operative question.

My name is Amber, I am 21 years old, and I am having sleeve gastrectomy on Monday morning.

I started my journey on August 1st. I went to a seminar that a semi-local surgeon was hosting and decided that I was interested. I also went to his support group that same day, just to see what others had to say. I also met with the surgeon that day, one on one. He told me that I was a very good candidate for the sleeve, and that he thought I would be very successful, that was encouraging.

I submitted to insurance on October 1st, was called with the insurance approval on October 5th, and at that time, was told that my surgery would be on October 11th. I was shocked. I hate to admit it, and am a little embarrassed, but I did burst into tears after I got off the phone. It all seemed so sudden, I though I would get the approval, and be scheduled for sometime around Thanksgiving, or even Christmas. Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful that my process was quick, because I know of people who have waited months and even years for their approvals, and I know that must be awful, I was just ...shocked.

I am so fortunate to be given the opportunity to receive this surgery, I know it will have a huge impact on my life, and I am still at the age, where I can change my eating habits and lifestyle, with somewhat of an ease.

I hope that I will get to know you all and be of some support to you all, I don't have much advice to give as of now, as I have not been sleeved yet, but in the future, I hope to be able to help in any way I can.

My question is about extubation. I met with the anesthesiologist yesterday. He explained to me that I would be awake when the breathing tube was removed.

I'm so freaked out now. I explained to him that I've watched episodes of ER and Grey's Anatomy where someone wakes up with a tube in them, and freaks out. He honestly didn't seem to follow...and replied with something to the effect of, oh, you'll be fine.

Well, as of now, on the subject of this whole extubation thing, I am NOT fine. It worries me, honestly it does. I know that if I am awake, and there is a tube coming out of my mouth, that no doubt, I will freak out. Can anyone tell me their experience with extubation? Is it not really a big deal?

I would appreciate any input, and I look forward to more contact with all of you.

Many thanks.

Amber

I don't remember it at all. Usually they have you still pretty drugged out, but awake enough to breathe when they pull the tube. When I actually remember waking up, I had an oxygen mask on, but that's it.

I work in ICU, and I can tell you that most people do freak out when they are intubated. It's different post-surgery. They are able to give you reversal agents for the paralytics which allow you to breathe well on your own, but still let you be a little sedated, and more than likely you won't remember the situation at all.

Thanks a lot! That gives me some ease, I have to admit that I think I will be tense until it's over, though. The surgeon assured me that when I am actually being intubated, that I will have already been asleep for quite some time. So I won't feel being intubated or extubated, right?

You shouldn't feel either one if you have a good anesthesia provider (and most of them do this countless times a day!). Post-op you might have a little scratchy or sore throat, and some people have a sore lip where the tube rested or was taped funny, but that's usually the extent of it.

i wouldn't be that nervous about it. i've gone under 2 times with tubes and the first, i don't remember the removal. the second, i do remember but i was still so greatly under the anesthesia that i didn't feel much. i just remember them telling me to cough, i tried or i think i did, and then i felt them pull something out but it wasn't painful nor did i feel pressure, hard to explain. i just woke up with a bit of a sore throat that lasted a bit til after recovery. one thing they did mention to me was that i had huge tonsils and they had some trouble getting the tube in

i'm more deathly afraid of getting my tonsils out more than anything but they don't bother me

You are totally out of it when they remove it...you are clinically awake but so loopy you wont remember that AT all.

Welcome! I have not yet been sleeved yet either, but wanted to say that I can completely understand how you are feeling with how quickly things have progressed! My insurance required 6 months worth of weight monitoring, and during that time I also completed all of my surgeon's requirements for me. At first I was really bummed about having to wait so long, but it was during this time that I actually decided to switch surgeries!!! I was orginally going for the band, and am SO thankful that I didn't continue down that path. The more I read, and learned about life WITH a band, the more I decided that it simply was not the surgery for me.

Now I am so grateful that I had the time to research and be completely happy with my decision. I think had things progress quickly I might have felt exactly like you do now.

However, I am slightly jealous... he he he. Everything was submitted to my insur. on Oct. 5th and I STILL don't have a decision and likely won't until sometime after the 18th ...the nurse who decides my fate is on vacation until then. :angry: Oh well, not much I can do about it at this point, except wait. It is just bugging the crap out of me that I cannot place a DATE on my calendar and plan my life around that date. Ugh!

I hope your surgery goes great, and yes, I would express your concern about being 'awake' to your dr. but it sounds like it hopefully won't be a big deal. Good luck with everything!

I work in the recovery room as needed and the anesthelogist "wakes you up" and removes the breathing tube in the operating room, then they transport you to the recovery room. People do not remember ever having the breathing tube (for short procedures), unless the tube has to stay in for some reason (too sedated, problems with blood pressure, etc). Grey's anatomy and ER exaggerate things a bit.

Hello everyone,

I hope that you don't mind if I introduce myself here, as well as ask an pre-operative question.

My name is Amber, I am 21 years old, and I am having sleeve gastrectomy on Monday morning.

I started my journey on August 1st. I went to a seminar that a semi-local surgeon was hosting and decided that I was interested. I also went to his support group that same day, just to see what others had to say. I also met with the surgeon that day, one on one. He told me that I was a very good candidate for the sleeve, and that he thought I would be very successful, that was encouraging.

I submitted to insurance on October 1st, was called with the insurance approval on October 5th, and at that time, was told that my surgery would be on October 11th. I was shocked. I hate to admit it, and am a little embarrassed, but I did burst into tears after I got off the phone. It all seemed so sudden, I though I would get the approval, and be scheduled for sometime around Thanksgiving, or even Christmas. Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful that my process was quick, because I know of people who have waited months and even years for their approvals, and I know that must be awful, I was just ...shocked.

I am so fortunate to be given the opportunity to receive this surgery, I know it will have a huge impact on my life, and I am still at the age, where I can change my eating habits and lifestyle, with somewhat of an ease.

I hope that I will get to know you all and be of some support to you all, I don't have much advice to give as of now, as I have not been sleeved yet, but in the future, I hope to be able to help in any way I can.

My question is about extubation. I met with the anesthesiologist yesterday. He explained to me that I would be awake when the breathing tube was removed.

I'm so freaked out now. I explained to him that I've watched episodes of ER and Grey's Anatomy where someone wakes up with a tube in them, and freaks out. He honestly didn't seem to follow...and replied with something to the effect of, oh, you'll be fine.

Well, as of now, on the subject of this whole extubation thing, I am NOT fine. It worries me, honestly it does. I know that if I am awake, and there is a tube coming out of my mouth, that no doubt, I will freak out. Can anyone tell me their experience with extubation? Is it not really a big deal?

I would appreciate any input, and I look forward to more contact with all of you.

Many thanks.

Amber

I have had 3 surgeries in my lifetime (only one for WLS), but I don't remember a tube going in or out for ANY of them. I had VSG about 16 months ago and it was the best thing I've ever done. Don't let this fear hold you back! I only wish I had been able to do this when I was 21 instead of having to wait until 33!

Welcome Amber, I am so happy you have joined us. I have BIG tonsils and was a little concerned about the breathing tube going in and out. I woke up in the recovery room and the tube was gone. It was no BIG deal. I think you will be just fine.

Deb

I've never watched ER, but I can tell you Grey's Anatomy is not a very good representation of just about anything that goes on in a hospital... At least, not any good hospital. :/ I work Med/Surg and occasionally PACU and as others have said, people are generally not aware enough to remember actually being extubated. Having been to surgery only once before myself, I wasn't awake enough to remember the tube coming out, I just remember having an oxygen mask on.

Congratulations on your date! Don't let the little things get you down - you can do it!

Welcome!

I had an upper endoscopy as part of my preop testing and the drugs they gave me kind of made the experience sort of pleasant! I slightly remember them putting in and taking out the camera/breathing tube... but it was sort of dreamy and not bad at all. Just had a little sore throat afterwards.

Thanks so much everyone, for your responses! Tomorrow is the big day, I have a huge headache, I'm guessing it's from not eating. Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of my life :) Wish me luck!

I didnt remember mine going in or out. drugs are great.

BUT i wanted to tell you that I developed a cough.. and spit up nasty brown thick phlem (sp). Doctors and nurses said it was good to cough it up. It was from the tube and just dried blood or something. The first time I coughed it up I was horrified. I thought I was going to throw up. It was so thick and I couldn't get it out at first so I was afraid I would choke. But once I learned what it was, it got easier and I tried to get as much out as possible with each cough.

I just wanted to warn you of this in case it happens. Don't panic. Just keep kleenex and the little spit pan near you so you can get as much out with each cough.

Good luck!

Hi Amber, I'm misty and I am an RN. I am having the sleeve done in two weeks. I have never been personally intubated but let me ease your mind. The reason they are telling you about it before hand is so you dont freak out. People are generally freaked out by it because they wake up to it without any before hand warning. An example would be a car wreck where you have no recollection and come to with a tube down your throat. Now that you can expect it when you wake up it wont be so alarming.

Many thanks.

Amber