Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band removed after 1 month-HELP!

I'm a self pay. BMI of 38. Cost 10K for Lap Band. Had it placed 9/10/10. Wound by port did not close. Anyhow, went back to OR 1 month later for wound debridement and moving of port and doc removed entire band. He said that my body was rejecting it and that the Omentum from my stomach was beginning to grow over the band. I was told that rejection was extemely rare. Anyhow, I'm extremely depressed. They will refund half, but I now need to make payments on 5K and I still don't have a solution to my weight problem. The surgeon say's he's done around 800 of them and has never seen this problem.

What do I do? Any advice? Supposedly Allergan was contacted and the rejection was reported. I had it done by Strax. They now want me to sign a release to refund me half of what I spent for 1 month with a band.

please help me!

Jami

jamigirl67@yahoo.com :thumbup::frown1::lol0::frown1::frown1:

How did you pay for the surgery? If on a credit card, you may be able to dispute the charges.

Dave

Find out if you can apply that 5K they don't want to refund toward a sleeve. ?? It's worth a shot.

Why did you decide on a lap band anyway? I"m surprised so many people seem to go that route even though there's a fair amount of issue w/the band long-term (not chastising your decision..just wondering out loud why Dr's seem to continue providing the procedure w/o a conscious to the patient long term).

Ya I agree with Peatie maybe they will just call it a wash and do the sleeve instead?

By-the-way Jami, I love the spelling of your name...mine is spelled the same way!

Jami, Strax does not have a very good reputation and I would absolutely second guess what they are telling you happened. How? Go see another gastro with weight loss surgery experience (Enrique Whittwell in Miami is wonderful) and/or visit an attorney. The attorney visit should not cost you anything since they don't charge unless there is recovery. I can't believe I'm recommending a potential lawsuit but....

The best of luck to you,

C

Jami, Strax does not have a very good reputation and I would absolutely second guess what they are telling you happened. How? Go see another gastro with weight loss surgery experience (Enrique Whittwell in Miami is wonderful) and/or visit an attorney. The attorney visit should not cost you anything since they don't charge unless there is recovery. I can't believe I'm recommending a potential lawsuit but....

The best of luck to you,

C

I took out a credit line on Care Credit that Strax recommended. I'm going to give them a call to dispute. I don't think that Strax does the Gastric Sleeve and I'm not going to qualify for my insurance to cover anything due to my BMI being too low and I don't really have major problems from obesity. Plus to go through insurance would take such a long time.

I went with the Lap-Band because I felt that it wasn't so invasive as a reconstructive surgery on the stomach. I also had a max loan of 10K and that was the price that Strax gave me. I should of done more investigating. I'm going to check and see if Strax also has experience with the Gastric Sleeve, and if so, if they can possibly figure a way to help me. If not, and they won't give me a full refund, I'll have no other choice but to contact an attorney.

so upset. Just wanted to get my eating habits under contol.

thanks

Jami

Ya I agree with Peatie maybe they will just call it a wash and do the sleeve instead?

By-the-way Jami, I love the spelling of your name...mine is spelled the same way!

Just called Strax, and they don't do the Gastric Sleeve. Only Lap Band. Now what?

thanks

Jami