Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So...Im here again because I havent lost the weight. I need to lose about 20lbs before I can get a date.

I know that I want this. I need this. My fatty liver, and my PCOS would be alliviated if not completely gone.

why cant I lose the weight? Ive lost some with dieting. I have gone to the gym but not like I should. I get so embarassed just walking up there. sometimes I drive all the way there and cant bring myself to go in.

I just need to knowif anyone else has gone through this. is it really the fear keeping me from doing it? I know I can lose the weight within a few weeks but Ive been doing it since July 23.

I hate myself for keeping myself from what I know I need.

First, you have to think positively. You CAN do this!!

I think if you start on the Atkins diet (very low carb, high protein) you might be able to lose the weight rapidly. I lost 12 lbs in a week with a low carb diet (and I ate more than Atkins allows the first week, because my guidelines were different) pre-op.

This is how I eat post-op, too, so it was helpful to get me on the right track.

This is not the only possible plan. You could also count calories. Stick to 1200 calories a day. Start tracking every bite that goes in your mouth. Make sure you are following SOME plan, and just do it and stick to it to get rid of those pounds. It doesn't have to take months to lose that 20 lbs, it could take just weeks.

Going to the gym is great, but your diet is what will make you lose weight. I used to feel embarrassed to go to the gym also, but it's something I also just had to force myself to do. Now it doesn't bother me even a little bit. Get a friend or someone to go with you the first few times so you don't feel so alone. That sure did help me.

Best of luck!

Edited by a.walker

This is a real mind snarl. I still do the same thing to myself. I KNOW I should go to the gym. I know I should take my suppliments and eat more veggies. All I can say is---THank God for my sleeve. Scarey? you bet. So glad I went thru with it? Oh yeah. This is the best thing I have done for myself. EVER. It is the tool I needed to get the weight off even though I am NOT perfect at it. So, give yourself a break, fight the fear and get the 20 gone so you can get the help you need. Stay away from the gym. Just go for a walk 2X a day. 5 or 10 min.each. Be easier on yourself. Breathe, smile, live.

My doc advises to look for food choices that have less than 10 grams of sugar and 10 grams of total fat instead of counting calories. If each meal has 10/10 then you are looking at 30 grams of sugar and 30 grams of fat per day. Do that and drink as much Water as you can handle. I read somewhere the reason they make us drink so much freaking water is because it flushes the fat out. Worth a shot at this point. Best of luck to you!

Atkins rocks IMHO. You don't feel hungry like you do on low fat diets.

Jane x

If you dont like the gym, exercise at home. There are a ton of things you can do.

Getting a work out DVD for home can burn lots of calories. Small things count as well: park far and walk a bit to the entrance, take the stairs all the time, don't take that short cut go the long way when walking.

But to be honest, people really aren't paying attention to you at the gym as you think. Just go in, do what you gotta do and go

Much luck!! You can do it!!!

My doctor has me on 4 glucerna shakes (I am type II diabetic) and one meal of 5 oz of lean meat + 2 cups of non starchy veggies per day. The weight is coming off without exercise and I am 58, so my metabolism is pretty slow. If you are not diabetic, he recommends 5 Slim Fast shakes per day + the meal. Hope this helps and good luck to you. Hang in there... you are sooooooo worth it!!!

There are are couple doctors around here that prescribe a really really hardcore low carb diet for around one month (you wouldn't want to stay on it for a long time) then they transition into regular ole Atkins. It is effective to kick off that weight loss.

It is the Egg, meat and cheese diet. You can have those along with sugar free Jello, mayo, mustard and clear diet drinks.

I know what you mean by going to the gym. But remember it's a mind game you're playing with yourself. Most of the people there are serious and are focused on themselves not what others are doing. If you can't bring yourself to do it, then make sure to get outside day and walk, even if it's only around the block for the first week and then the next you go two blocks. A little is better than non. Good luck and I'll keep you in my prayers. YOU CAN DO THIS - This positive, you're worth it!!!!!!

I have gone through this also. I have tried every diet there is and exercised and then did not loose the weight. :) Then I found when I started to be really focused and started a plan of action it became easier. I decided that I was going to prove to the medical community that there was something dramatically wrong with me, something that they had never seen. I bought a little notebook and I wrote down every single bite I ate, even if I licked my fingers. I got a scale and weighed everything I ate. I included Condiments, drinks, every single thing. When I started recording I was surprised to find that I was eating far more than I thought. Some items had far more calories than I thought they did. I started making new choices. Still it was slow. This part is the hardest...pre sleeve. Just look at it as temporary to get you into surgery. Now I use a tool called My food Diary. It is $9.00 a month, but all I have to do is weigh my food. The diary will calculate the rest for me. Every fast food and chain food item I put in is in there, if that is something you can afford. As for exercise I just walk a mile and a quarter a day. I have a set of weights at home and at the office. Every spare moment I have at work I do a set (like when my computer is sluggish) I know it must be working because I can "feel" it. I do get teased about it, but at least they know that I am trying to do something about my weight. The gym is like that too. Anyone that looks at us can tell we are over weight, but if you are in the gym working out you are respected for doing something about it. You can do this! :thumbup:Putting a plan together can really help, write it down. Get mad! Say you are going to do it and you will. Also, when you are writing everything down you can create a victory every day by accomplishing the goal you set for that day. So, at least if the scale doesn't budge, you accomplished something! Also, I was trying to loose on 1200 calories a day and it was not working. My doctor said to drop it to 800 a day. That is really hard before surgery, but it did work for me. It finally came off.

Depressed -

I think Robeania nailed it for you. Great advice, stay focus and jornal absolutely everything that touches your lips! Stay in touch and let us know how you're doing.

:)

So...Im here again because I havent lost the weight. I need to lose about 20lbs before I can get a date.

I know that I want this. I need this. My fatty liver, and my PCOS would be alliviated if not completely gone.

why cant I lose the weight? Ive lost some with dieting. I have gone to the gym but not like I should. I get so embarassed just walking up there. sometimes I drive all the way there and cant bring myself to go in.

I just need to knowif anyone else has gone through this. is it really the fear keeping me from doing it? I know I can lose the weight within a few weeks but Ive been doing it since July 23.

I hate myself for keeping myself from what I know I need.

FIRST THING FIRST ... Don't be too hard on .yourself. At some point, most of us have felt as you do.

This is a life changing experience, and I know that you know that the end results are well worth the efforts.

You must make the weight loss a PRIORITY in your life, find out what works for you, and commit to it For me, it was getting on a good eating schedule ... five small meals a day at regular intervals. This prevented me from ever feeling hungry.

Prepare a daily menu and eating schedule (in my case, I did it the night before), make sure that the calories are within your diet range, and stick to you plan. Resist the temptation to eat just for the sake of eating. Eat only when you schedule yourself to.

If going to the gym doesn't appeal to you, don't do it. Commit to a certain amount of exercise, and do something less stressful or something you enjoy...Walking around the neighborhood, swimming, whatever, but just remain true to the schedule.

Think about how you will feel and look after you complete the process and the new, healthier life you have created and will maintain forever.

It is truly a matter of "mind over matter".

Believe in yourself...you can and will do this thing, and will be much happier as a result.

I did Dr Phil's 7 keys to weighloss freedom and lost 40lbs in two months. I wasn't hungry on it and reading the whole book really kept me motivated. If you can stomach him maybe you could try that.

I have gone to the gym but not like I should. I get so embarassed just walking up there. sometimes I drive all the way there and cant bring myself to go in.

thats your problem right there.. "dieting" is not going to do it, you need to SERIOUSLY dedicate yourself to eating properly as a lifestyle change AND working out at least 3 times a week.

believe me I know how you feel, I'm right there with you, I've only lost about 30 pounds in the 3 and a half months I started my 6 month weight loss plan, I got bronchitis, went on vacation, and hurt my leg overdoing myself in the gym so I let myself slack and behind on my weight loss goals. But now in the last few months i'm dedicated to losing as much as I can before my surgery. You NEEEEED to do that cardio in the gym... that first month I really tried I ended up losing 17 pounds, I did the gym 3-4 days a week and really ate what people are normally supposed to eat in terms of the food pyramid etc.

about your fear of the gym... think of it this way.. even if you WERE skinny and in shape.. there would always be more people there who are in better shape or better looking or richer lol.. screw what everyone else thinks... I take pride in being a fat guy going to the gym, I know why i'm there and do what I need to do and feel proud of myself when I do it.

Hi Ali, I have totally driven to the gym, had a mini freak out and went home without even getting out of the car. On more occasions than one. I know how you feel. The best advice I can give is to truly just limit your carbs (including any sugar), drink at least 64 oz of Water a day and write down everything you eat and at what times. Did your doctor/program provide guidelines for you??

Kaiser gave us guidelines and that is what I am following now. If you want some more help or at least the instructions I have, feel free to PM me.