Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Rating protein powders

There is nothing wrong with Atkins drinks. Like you said, they are lower in Protein than some of the other drinks, but if you like them, I wouldn't worry about drinking an extra one. If you're on the post op liquid stage, you can't be consuming many

calories anyway.

Ok, I was just worried. I am having a tough time this week. Missing chewing way too much!!

I am Pre-op and use Pure Protein vanilla Creme. I mix it with s/f Jello or puddings and flavorings. I mix pistachio s/f pudding with almond flavoring; orange s/f jello w/ vanilla flavoring; s/f chocolate pudding w/2 Tbsp of peanut butter; s/f butterscotch pudding with 2 tbsp of peanut butter....just a few of the different flavors I like the best. If you want to get more protein just add Greek yogurt & dry non-fat milk. Chobani Apple Cinnamon yogurt 14 g; 1/3 cup dry non fat milk 8 g; 1 scoop of Pure Protein 25 g...47 g of protein...It's a good start on protein for the day :)

I know it is not a powder but.......I just tried Premier Protein ready to drink, it is AMAZING. I got it at costco and is hands down the best one I have tried so far. It is a ready to drink and not a powder but you still need an alternative for on the go!

Thankfully, the NUT suggested that as a second Protein Drink I can try Proticas Profect- 25g of Protein (2.9 oz/day.) Ordered Fresh Citrus berry from Amazon. I am happy to say, that this is a much welcomed item after choking down (literally) some of the Protein Shakes. Tastes ok and it's is only a little to drink. Also, they come in "virtually unbreakable" test tube-like containers, so they are very easy to toss into my purse.

Contains collagenic protein isolate & whey protein isolate... but I'm not even going to pretend that I understand all of that!! I just know it was on the list of approved items ;)

Is Optimum/On Platinum Hydrowhey any good for WLS patients ? Any experiences to share.

Kindly also advise whether casein Proteins are better as they are digested slowly overnight ?

So, I bought a lot of samples of different flavors and some rtd shakes. I'll post my personal opinions of them here.

First Protein drink I sampled. I am pre-op so maybe I'll have a different opinion later but as of this min. here's what I think.

Isopure- Zero Carb Coconut flavor Ready To Drink.

- It has a weird tangy taste to it. I could hardly choke down a few sips. Realized I'd need to jazz it up so as to not waste my money on it. So, I poured 1/2 of the bottle into a red solo cup and topped with an equal amount of plain cold Water. Then I added a good squeeze of the Dasani pineapple Coconut Water flavoring. The pineapple flavor of the Dasani is doing a good cover of the odd flavors of the Isopure and making it paletable. Not great, not good, but okay. I will be able to finish it. I plan on finishing the other 1/2 the bottle in the same fashion later today.

Overall verdict: will not buy again, lesson learned.

Just wanted to share a tasty vanilla Protein drink, Performance whey (Vanilla Shake) from Optimum Nutrition.

Available at costco and The Vitamin Shoppe. No Protein taste. My nutritionist recommended it. I just love it.

I use the premier protien from costco on work days for convience. But still dont like the texture and taste as much as I like the GNC wheybolic. I like the strawberry, Cookies and cream and the chocolate. Also u can order sugar free syrups(torani/de vinci) to add and change the taste. I tried the gnc fruit punch but it was not my thing. A friend of mine prefers the premier drinks. There are so many choices. Also recently started using the Isopure natural which has no flavor. I bought it from Amazon. I love it. I mix it with Water, spinach, frozen berries, splenda and ice and it is yummy. I also add chia or flax powder. you are just going to have to taste test because everyone is different. even on different days of the month my taste differ, go figure. GNC does let you take things back as I have used that service. The guys there were great on recommendations. I tried the Bariatric Advantage protien flavors to add to water but did not like them. Another friend is using them and likes them so it worked out.

For the ready-to-drink shakes, I prefer Premier Protein, which is available at costco and Sam's and probably other places as well. For a Protein Powder, I like Carb Solutions. It used to be available in chocolate or vanilla, but as far as I know only the chocolate is available now. I think drugstore.com is the only place that sells it now. This is a blend of several Protein sources and not just whey based protein, which may make the taste more tolerable to people who have tried whey and don't like it. According to their label, their protein is from Soy Protein Isolate, Calcium Caseinate, Sodium Caseinate, Whey Protein Isolate, and Dried Egg White. Over the last dozen years I've consumed dozens of cans of this stuff. And over the last few years, I've consumed dozens of cases of the Premier Protein ready-to-drink.

Premiere is definitely the most popular Protein drink around. The OH sleeve board always has people raving about it too.

I like it a lot, but i like my powders that I can add sf syrups or fruit too, better . Premiere is good for "on the go"

i have issues with getting the right consistancy in my Protein Shakes. When I use Unjury and try and add yogurt or frozen fruit...my shake ends up entirely too thick.

I also bought the BSN Lean Desert Protein Powder--Chocolate Coconut and It is so thick i can hardly drink it... i mix it with soy milk in the blender on the liquid option and it gets so thick and bubbly I can't even drink it... people talk about adding yogurt and fruit to their shakes...but it has never worked for me.

I like to do fuit & ice and protein powder just with Water. But for the chocolate protein mixes instead of adding yogurt or fruit, I add, almond milk, or coconut milk, gives a little flavoring and doesn't get thick. I hope this helps...

I would also like someone to help me if they could. I am drinking Bariatric Advantage chocolate flavor and I like it. I like my Protein Drinks pretty thick. I make it in a shaker cup (the one with the little whisk ball inside) with Water and a couple ice cubes. I'm getting sick of just chocolate though and I don't like the Bariatric Advantage brand in other flavors. I'm okay buying stuff online or at the stores. If you have any personal recomendations for me that would be awesome. Thanks !

Have you tried the Muscle Milk - just from your local store? that's pretty good or the KSpecial lemonade Protein drinks? The lemonade helps me to get more water into my system. With a little extra protein.

Thanks for posting this! I'm pre WLS and I'm trying hard to find some good quality powders without any dangerous chemicals. I'll print this out so I can check out ingredients and Protein amounts.

I've been reading a lot about unjury and I just looked it up and I don't like what I see in the ingredients list at all:

Unjury chocolate whey Protein supplement is specifically-designed by a clinical dietitian to deliver Medical Quality Protein.

Ingredients:

Whey protein isolate

fructose (the most pro-diabetic sweetener we can consume. Do they really need this AND artificial chemical sweeteners?)

natural and artificial flavors (This could mean ANYTHING and it almost always means MSG or other dangerous additives.)

cocoa powder

soy lecithin

xanthan gum

aspartame (a dangerous chemical sweetener that is an excitotoxin that causes brain cancer / tumors and MS symptoms.)

acesulfame (ANOTHER dangerous chemical sweetener??)

I love the one that I use currently but when I posted about it on the obesityhelp web site I got accused of being a spammer and some girl said that this shake was no good for WLS patients at all. The more I learn' date=' the more I think she was full of crap.

Thie shake I like has 14g of protein at 100 calories but I could add another 14g by adding two raw eggs to bring it to 250 calories and 28g of protien. That's a great meal post WLS, isn't it??[/quote']

I like bipro whey isolate. Go to BiPro.com. It's 100 percent Whey, with a little soy lecithin, no added sugars, favors. It mixes well with everything. No funky taste. I feel the same way. My first week post-op my surgeon gave us the choice of two Proteins that were acceptable. Of the two, I selected the Unjury unflavored because of the few ingredients that it contains. It's been ok, but now that I'm on full liquids, I will switch back to the bipro.< /p>