Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've been reading the threads about issues related to overeating after surgery, and of problems some folks have eating certain foods. Band people have their own set of issues, and some foods are off limits to them. So I'm wondering if there are any foods most everyone with a sleeve just cannot eat post-surgery? I don't mean during recovery phases, but after you're healed, and living your daily life. I've read some people say they can't abide sweets, some folks say the now prefer savory flavors, and others say they eat anything they want.

So for you experienced sleevers, tell me this: What foods can you just NOT eat anymore?

Dave

At almost 16 months, there is literally zero foods that I can absolutely NOT eat. Scrambled eggs still kind of sit heavy, but I wasn't a scrambled egg fan pre-op so it's not like I'm missing them.

Quiches, poached, hard-boiled eggs are all fine, but plain old scrambled eggs just sit heavy. I don't get pain, or slimies. I just feel stuffed is the best way to describe.

I literally do eat anything and everything I want. Early out certain just didn't work, but I could wait a few weeks/couple of months, try them again and all was fine. It seemed my body just wasn't ready for some things.

Everything tastes the same as pre-op. My tastebuds reverted back to normal a few months post-op. I did develop lactose intolerance immediately post-op, but that's now resolved. I was always a "salty/crunchy" kind of girl. I'll reach for pretzel thins, or chips before I'll reach for chocolate or ice cream. But, sweets work just fine as well.

I've yet to come across anything that doesn't agree with me.

Granted I've not really ever tried sweets...oh I did have a bite of a cookie one time.

I'm not interested in having those things in my losing phase...maybe in moderation once I get to maintenance.

I heard the same thing about coconut, which is fine with me, because I detest the stuff! ha!

Still healing here, so I'll just learn from y'all and post back when I experience for myself.

What about alcohol after the recovery stage????

I drink. I drink socially, usually weekly. I'm the "afternoon cocktail" girl in my little group. I often have a strawberry mojito, glass of wine, or a rum/coke.

I didn't drink for 6 months because during the losing stage alcohol is just wasted calories, and I really didn't want to go off program before I got to goal.

I was released for alcohol at 3.5 months out. Was told to avoid red wines, and to drink slow, and at home the first time.

My alcohol tolerance has gone back to what it was pre-op. I do not get drunk any faster now than I did at 270lbs. I do not suffer from hangovers anymore, and it's nice to catch a good buzz, and be able to maintain it easily. At first, I'd get drunk quick then sober up quickly.

Thanks for the info! Hoping to have the gastric sleeve plication done and want to know what I am giving up and for how long! :001_tt2:

I've been reading the threads about issues related to overeating after surgery, and of problems some folks have eating certain foods. Band people have their own set of issues, and some foods are off limits to them. So I'm wondering if there are any foods most everyone with a sleeve just cannot eat post-surgery? I don't mean during recovery phases, but after you're healed, and living your daily life. I've read some people say they can't abide sweets, some folks say the now prefer savory flavors, and others say they eat anything they want.

So for you experienced sleevers, tell me this: What foods can you just NOT eat anymore?

Dave

I can't tolerate salad. . . mostly the lettuce, but tomatoes and cucumbers and green onions are fine, but add lettuce and i almost die. . . also steak doesn't agree at all. . . but that is fine with me, i have never been a fan of steak or brisket anyhow and certain types of sausages. . . everything else is fine for me!

The only thing I heard I will never actually be able to tolerate is carbonated beverages. I'll miss the occasionally diet pepsi :blush:

I had one food that I didn't tolerate well earlier on (a cheesy, potato dish - I know, bad me!), but I had it again this past week and no problems. Take note that when I say I had this dish, it amounts to about 2 teaspoons max - after I start with my Protein.

I haven't had anything that really bothers me. I do indulge in a treat here and there because I don't do well with feeling forbidden from certain foods - it makes me rebellious after a certain point. At three months out, I still have quite a bit of restriction so a few bites of a cookie or piece of cake really doesn't do any damage. I tend to not want any more after that.

I'm trying more things every day now that I'm in the normal diet phase. Even though I'm still losing, I want to be able to eat normally out in public (as much as that's possible with my stomach). So, I try different things every now and then at home to know how I will tolerate them in social settings. I tried a piece of cupcake at home so that if I was at a birthday function at work, I would know if it would be ok for me to have a few bites of cake without falling out in cold sweats or running to the bathroom. I'm just starting to try foods with nuts in them here and there and no problems with those either. I just knew they would ball up into a knot in my stomach and send me to the ER. NOPE!!!

I've also broken down and experimented with diet soda this past two weeks after reading several stories here on the boards about sleevers having no problems with carbonation. I bought a diet mountain dew 20 oz bottle. The first time, I poured a little in a glass and stirred alot of the bubbles out with a metal spoon. I took a few slow sips with no problem and then poured out the rest in the glass. A few days later, I decided to be brave and sip a little straight out of the bottle. After two sips I felt fine and left it alone so I didn't push my luck. Same thing a few days later. There's still over half a bottle left in my fridge and that overwhelming urge I had to drink some soda is fading away. I'll probably continue to drink a few sips here and there, but don't plan on making it a habit. I just want to be sure I can do it safely in public if the situation calls for it. I'm still curious to know if anyone tried soda and ended up doubled over in pain or feel as if it has stretched their stomach. I have yet to hear of this from anyone despite the dire warnings we get from some doctors.

Still haven't tried alcohol or salad...

Good post Mary. I think we all have a little of that feeling. Just curious what really WILL happen if we eat or drink something. I think your scenario is the perfect one though, just proving that you really don't need the soda in your life anyway. And when you really feel like a nice sip.. you can have it, be fine, and then dump the rest. Man, I SO want to get to this feeling in my life with so many foods. If I can have a few bites of birthday cake and dump the rest of the plate, that to me will be the success of my life. I'm always the one at the kids parties trying to get the biggest corner piece and then figuring out how I can sneak another one. Is it really possible that that will change???? Ahhh!!!

As for the alcohol, I was thinking I'd be off alcohol for the most part until the holidays maybe? I wonder if the acidity is the reason they say not to start with red wine?

ice cream. I can eat a little bit but more than a little bit and I get horrible gas and diarrhea. Not that I need to eat a bunch of ice cream, but I do love ice cream. It's probably a good thing it makes me sick.

That's the only thing really that I can say I have issues with. I can eat anything else. Any other sweets give me gas, but it's not painful gas the way ice cream is. If I eat candy, I will pass gas. My friend who is a nurse told me it's because the sugar does not properly digest since it moves out of the stomach quickly.

There's nothing I "can't" eat. I don't like spicy, but then I never did. I eat some bread in small quantities. I avoid a lot of carbs like breads, mashed potatoes, rice, etc.. not because I "can't" eat them, but they feel heavier in my stomach and I just don't think the taste is all that appealing anymore. They seem bland.

No food has ever upset my stomach! That's been such a blessing to me.

I am 3 months out. I can eat everything. I do avoid chicken breast because it fills me up sooo fast that I feel full after 3 bites. I prefer, eggs, cheese, tofu, salad and fruit these days. My sweet tooth has returned but so far I've been able to talk myself out of sweets. I've been craving carbs and fats lately and have been indulging these cravings very carefully. Occaisonally I'll have diet soda but not often. Hardest rule for me is not drinking and eating at the same time.