Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

100 lbs in Six Months...almost!

As I sit here and try to say what the last six months has been for me it is really hard to formulate into words. A few years ago I remember watching shows where people had WLS and feeling like they took the easy way out. Mind you I would watch these shows at 200 then 250 then 300 lbs. Telling myself all along that when I was ready I would be able to buckle down and lose weight. I have since learned that weight loss surgery is not the easy way out. Many talk about this being effortless for them and that has not been my experience. I am doing it, my mind and heart and body are changing every day, but this has not been easy. It is hard to go from a life where you are able to find peace or pacify your feelings with a soda, a treat, or with the feeling of being so full that you are distracted from all other feelings. After surgery I was confronted with all new feelings. I was forced to feel discomfort, and I have realized that without discomfort we don't grow. I feel like I was a generally happy person preop. I had a healthy outlook on life. I thought I was attractive, always had friends, had a man in my life who I loved and who loved me. Now I feel like a fog has been lifted. Every aspect of my life is better and it was already good.

Six months ago when I headed to Mexico to get surgery I felt like I was going in my own rebellion. Those around me loved me and wanted to support me, but many didn't understand, had seen me struggle to lose weight in other areas, or were afraid that I didn't understand what this would mean in my life. I listened to all those opinions and then trusted myself. I knew what I needed and that it was time. I went alone to get my surgery and my days there are a strange fog. I remember staying in the hotel the night before surgery with a strange excitement knowing that my life would never and could never be the same. Those who were worried and struggled to support me have been my biggest cheerleaders. I have since had 2 other friends get surgery and we are all on this weird journey together.

I don't want to sugar coat this whole experience, I have dreams about drinking soda (something that in my waking life I have chosen not to do) I have had mini tantrums in my head when I can't eat the volume that I was accustomed to. I still have to be very mindful of why I am eating. I have discovered that if I am not careful I can still be eating out of boredom, or other emotions. I used to tell myself that was okay as long as I was eating healthy foods, but I have experienced what it is to trust myself and be in control of my actions and know that it isn't about what I am eating, but why.

I have learned to enjoy food more. I eat such small quantities that I refuse to eat things I won't enjoy. I still have treats, but I am aware of myself when I do and I savor them.

To those of you considering having this surgery, it is not easy, and I know that in my case I will always have some of the same struggles mentally about keeping a healthy relationship with food. But, I will also say this, my knowledge of myself has increased. I feel like as my booty shrinks I grow.

I have enjoyed loads of NSV's. I have collar bones, my cholestorol is down 70 points, my feet don't hurt, I am energetic, I have no need to take antidepressants because my hormones are in check, the jeans I buy don't have to come just from Lane Bryant or online. I can walk into Old Navy and grab jeans off the shelf. I am happier and more at peace than I have been in years.

The first pic is preop/The second is from my recent trip back to Mexico with my friend who also had surgery. I had just gotten out of the pool and was jumping on a hotel bed so please excuse the crazy, but please note the happy!

Anna

post-1394-13813655902578_thumb.jpg

post-1394-13813655902666_thumb.jpeg

Let me add my heartiest congratulations! You deserve to feel very, very proud of yourself. I hope six months after my surgery I feel the same as you do now. Way to go!

Dave

Way to go Anna! I so remember when you wrote to me asking about the sleeve.

Your post is so hearfelt and inspiring and it will be a big help to all those starting on this journey.

Are you sure you need to lose 70 more lbs, Lol? You look great now!

I've enjoyed reading your posts. You've done such a great job so far, and I know you're going to reach your goal. Thank you for writing about the very real issues that people have post op. In my case it's easier than living on the diets I used to attempt, but it's by no means the easy way out. I think to some extent most of us have some idea that it will be almost effortless, and it's not. Thanks for being real about the whole thing.

Congrats on your success so far - you look wonderful!

~Cheri

I am so excited for you! Jealous isn't the right word - more like eager to hear all the details from a fellow explorer who has finally made it to the place I too wish to explore and I'm hungry (haha) for details. If I may ask, what was your starting weight and what is your current weight? Also, what is your menu/exercise like during this losing phase? Congratulations so so much!

Anna, your post was very inspiring. I am 3 weeks post op, and can relate to everything that was in your post except for losing 100lbs, but that will come with time. Congrats on your weight loss, you look fantastic.

Anna,

Congratulations!!! This is the first post of yours that I have read and I can identify with so many of the things you've talked about. I even had a soda dream on one of my first nights aftet surgery! I can really identify with what you've written about how scary it can be to be dealing with emotions and feelings without the comfort that food has always provided.

Good luck to you as you continue your journey!

Brian

Wow, you look like a different person. Totally different person. Grats!

I am so excited for you! Jealous isn't the right word - more like eager to hear all the details from a fellow explorer who has finally made it to the place I too wish to explore and I'm hungry (haha) for details. If I may ask, what was your starting weight and what is your current weight? Also, what is your menu/exercise like during this losing phase? Congratulations so so much!

Thank you so much for the kind comments! My starting weight was 300lbs (I had peaked at 307 once) and my current weight is 200.6 lbs. My first several months I followed the gold standard of 60-70g Protein, 600-800calories, and less than 30 g carbs. I am more relaxed on the carb aspect than I used to be, but everything else is pretty much the same. I know that monitioring your carbs closely really does make for some the weight come off more quickly and I know for me that the big thing with carbs is that when I am eating carbs I seem to crave lots more food, but this summer I also came to peace with the fact that if this is to be my life and I want to live it in a healthy way I am not going to avoid strawberries and other whole foods. I know of others who stuck with the really low carb through their whole losing phase and lost all their weight and lost it quickly so once again it is something you have to decide with your surgeon and your NUT and yourself.

Edited by wannalise
Typed the wrong weight!

You look as cute as a button in that recent photograph! I don't see crazy just happy and slender.

As I sit here and try to say what the last six months has been for me it is really hard to formulate into words. A few years ago I remember watching shows where people had WLS and feeling like they took the easy way out. Mind you I would watch these shows at 200 then 250 then 300 lbs. Telling myself all along that when I was ready I would be able to buckle down and lose weight. I have since learned that weight loss surgery is not the easy way out. Many talk about this being effortless for them and that has not been my experience. I am doing it, my mind and heart and body are changing every day, but this has not been easy. It is hard to go from a life where you are able to find peace or pacify your feelings with a soda, a treat, or with the feeling of being so full that you are distracted from all other feelings. After surgery I was confronted with all new feelings. I was forced to feel discomfort, and I have realized that without discomfort we don't grow. I feel like I was a generally happy person preop. I had a healthy outlook on life. I thought I was attractive, always had friends, had a man in my life who I loved and who loved me. Now I feel like a fog has been lifted. Every aspect of my life is better and it was already good.

Six months ago when I headed to Mexico to get surgery I felt like I was going in my own rebellion. Those around me loved me and wanted to support me, but many didn't understand, had seen me struggle to lose weight in other areas, or were afraid that I didn't understand what this would mean in my life. I listened to all those opinions and then trusted myself. I knew what I needed and that it was time. I went alone to get my surgery and my days there are a strange fog. I remember staying in the hotel the night before surgery with a strange excitement knowing that my life would never and could never be the same. Those who were worried and struggled to support me have been my biggest cheerleaders. I have since had 2 other friends get surgery and we are all on this weird journey together.

I don't want to sugar coat this whole experience, I have dreams about drinking soda (something that in my waking life I have chosen not to do) I have had mini tantrums in my head when I can't eat the volume that I was accustomed to. I still have to be very mindful of why I am eating. I have discovered that if I am not careful I can still be eating out of boredom, or other emotions. I used to tell myself that was okay as long as I was eating healthy foods, but I have experienced what it is to trust myself and be in control of my actions and know that it isn't about what I am eating, but why.

I have learned to enjoy food more. I eat such small quantities that I refuse to eat things I won't enjoy. I still have treats, but I am aware of myself when I do and I savor them.

To those of you considering having this surgery, it is not easy, and I know that in my case I will always have some of the same struggles mentally about keeping a healthy relationship with food. But, I will also say this, my knowledge of myself has increased. I feel like as my booty shrinks I grow.

I have enjoyed loads of NSV's. I have collar bones, my cholestorol is down 70 points, my feet don't hurt, I am energetic, I have no need to take antidepressants because my hormones are in check, the jeans I buy don't have to come just from Lane Bryant or online. I can walk into Old Navy and grab jeans off the shelf. I am happier and more at peace than I have been in years.

The first pic is preop/The second is from my recent trip back to Mexico with my friend who also had surgery. I had just gotten out of the pool and was jumping on a hotel bed so please excuse the crazy, but please note the happy!

Anna

WOW! I can only hope to be where you are now! You are an inspiration to me~

Thanks for sharing your story. I think these heart-felt stories really explain the process and what it's like to be the one on the journey. No one truly understands this experience until they've done it, but by sharing your personal accountability really speaks volumes. I am hoping it will inspire those who really need this surgery but allow fear to hold them back. It is indeed life-changing. I am below my goal weight and out 13 mos. from surgery. Dr. Aceves was my surgeon too. He's a great guy with a great team and a wonderful, caring doctor. I can't praise him highly enough. Thanks so much for sharing your true-life adventure with all.

Your writing is beautiful, so expressive. I really loved the way you wove your story and I identified with most of what you were writing about.:)