Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What made you decide to switch from the band to the sleeve?

I was just curious at how people reached their decision to switch. I am feeling a little bummed (and judged) because of the failure of my lapband. I am freaking out about another surgery, but I can't live with the pain of my band anymore. I always feel lifted when I hear others journeys.

I was just curious at how people reached their decision to switch. I am feeling a little bummed (and judged) because of the failure of my lapband. I am freaking out about another surgery, but I can't live with the pain of my band anymore. I always feel lifted when I hear others journeys.

Becca, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by being judged - but you can't let anyone tell you what you know is right for you. That would include being banded at first, and it means that right now for having it removed and getting the sleeve.

I too experienced a great deal of pain from my band the entire time since surgery. I was chronically in pain in the port area for goodness knows the reason. My band surgeon never took the time to find out. My band and I got off on the wrong foot since day 1. We were never meant to be, and for that I'm glad to be rid of it.

So, if anyone else thinks it's MY fault that happened and I lost all complete confidence in the band to produce any help to me then so be it. Especially someone who is currently banded... I really don't care. What does matter now is I've found the perfect WLS companion for me and it's working a miracle I had ORIGINALLY thought the band was supposed to give me.

That is taking the awful feeling of hunger away and making me full super fast. Well it's done all those things so far and then some. I couldn't be happier!!!! To be perfectly honest I was NEVER this happy on day 10 Post Op with my band. Nope, not at all.

My band was causing me to be in chronic, overwhelming pain every day of my life. It had to go, and I only had it for 8 short months. In that 8 months, it wrecked my stomach tissue, and I would only revise to the sleeve.

Best decision I ever made. Don't let anyone judge you because the band just sucks. I got bashed on lbtalk and OH when my band failed me and I had to revise. I've told those same haters to stick it in their (well you know), while they still struggle, puke, pb, slime, and have to get fills, and still not get to their goal weight.

My band was causing me to be in chronic, overwhelming pain every day of my life. It had to go, and I only had it for 8 short months. In that 8 months, it wrecked my stomach tissue, and I would only revise to the sleeve.

Best decision I ever made. Don't let anyone judge you because the band just sucks. I got bashed on lbtalk and OH when my band failed me and I had to revise. I've told those same haters to stick it in their (well you know), while they still struggle, puke, pb, slime, and have to get fills, and still not get to their goal weight.

Amen Tiffy! :blush:

Oh well to each his own. They will all be welcome here someday... lmao!

The band made me constantly sick. It was an easy decision as soon as I found out about the sleeve that I wanted that thing out of me as soon as possible and to have revision surgery to the sleeve. The sleeve is everything the band was supposed to be-small portions and no hunger. The band can completely ruin your stomach and esohagus so I wanted it out before it did so much damage that it could not be repaired.

Hi,

I still have my band but it will most likely have to come out.

I am considering the Gastric Sleeve Plication but haven't quite decided which procedure

is best for me yet. My band dr. is pushing hard for the RNY but I'm almost

positive I don't want to do a bypass. I was considering DS but during research

I realized the sleeve is the 1st part of a DS and started looking into being sleeved.

I'm still not sure if I want the plication or sleeve. I'm leaning toward the plication

but there's not a lot of long-term information. I've had 2 surgeries already with

the band, so whatever surgery I have next is probably gonna be my last!

Good luck to you in whatever you choose and don't let others decide for you.

genepha

I switched because the band nearly killed me. I spent the last few months of my "band life" getting IV's 3-4 times a week. It is a very long story. You can find out my story by just doing a search for my posts here and on labbandtalk.com. I'm under the same name there. I have never failed at anything I've done except the horrible band. It was nothing I did or didn't do. It was the band. I followed all the rules of living with the band to a "T".

I now have my life back since switching to a sleeve. I am a "normal" human being now. I don't post much on the forums anymore as I'm out living life as it should be lived. I'm at goal. Have maintained now for 6 weeks. In fact, I want to quit loosing so have increased my intake which is hard since I just am never hungry. Switching to the sleeve is the best thing I've ever done for myself.

Good luck on what ever you decide to do!

In a nutshell: I had been throwing up between 5 - 15 times a day for 4.5 years. It was so inconsistent as there were a few "good" moments in a day where I could keep food down, but I never knew when they would be.

I could never eat healthy food, therefore could never be compliant and eventually by only eating what would stay down (which was smooth high caloric foods like cheese cake and lemon meringue or 12 prawns or boiling hot sweet drinks), I gained back 35 Kgs. Lost it again with an even tighter fill, gained back again, then lost and gained some more. How ultra depressing to gain back so much weight - and know that the only way you can get it off again is to suffer and throw up

Only now at nearly 5 weeks out, do I realise just how depressed I was from that band and being so sick day in and day out. It nearly destroyed my wonderful relationship that is now starting to heal since I've been sleeved. Actually suprised myself the other day when I burst out laughing at something funny and realised I'd not laughed like that in a very long time. Must've been really hard to live with me during my time of "band". My dearheart deserves a medal.

So very glad it's over. So at 4 weeks was down 10kgs/22pounds, am having a bit of a stall at week 4-5, but so what? I did not have to starve or vomit to lose any of this weight so if I have a stall every now and then, so be it. I am just so grateful to have my life back. And this is why I chose to revise to sleeve...

I haven't done my revision yet, but am 90% ready to book my appointment for November. Why am I switching? Because I hate my band. Right now I have acid in my throat and just finished yacking up a some pizza (I took 3 bites of a pizza). While last night, I was able to enjoy dinner (lots of it) at my parent's with out any problem. I also have a leak. My band is just so unpredictable and I'm afraid of the damage it is doing to me.

Thanks for the responses. I am planning on having the revision surgery. Right now, I am just doing the all the preop testing the insurance requires. I have serious problems with my band, so my doctor is pretty certain I will be approved. What I meant by being judged is people asking, "Why don't you just take your band out and do Weight Watchers, Quick Weight Loss, or get a personal trainer?" Ummmm....if that worked I wouldn't have had the band to begin with! They don't understand the battle I have had with my weight since Kindergarten. Any time I have lost the weight, I never kept it off. I have even regained 25 pounds with the band that I lost the first year. It just helps to hear what others have experienced, as I don't know anyone personally who has been through this. The only friend I know with a lapband did very well and has kept her restriction. I am so happy for her, but I know that will never happen for me with the band. Thanks again everyone! I really do love this forum!

Forget those people! That's partly why I didn't tell anyone I was getting banded and the same reason I won't tell anyone I'm getting my revision.

Although, now that my fiance understands that I'm serious about this revision, he has asked me a few times, "but what if this doesn't work . . . you thought the band would work too . . .you should try harder with diet and exercise . . . etc."

BUt he also knows that once I have my mind made up, I'm going to move forward.

Good luck to you!

The people who can keep their band long term are very rare. There are an extrodinary amount of people who have severe problems with their esophagus and stomach from the band that is permanent.

Becca,

It sounds like you are in a bad place. Remember to stay strong in what you desire, cause no one walks in your shoes. I had the band for 8 years, it had to be removed due to late term complications. I am currently attempting to find someone who will take me as a revision patient as some of my complications are permanent and severe directly from the band. I am not sure of your issues as you didnt post them. You did say that you can't live with the pain of your band anymore....you should not have to suffer like that, whatever that is. I really had no choice the band had to be removed or more potential permanent damage would occur.

No surgery is best for all, there are many things to take into consideration. There is a place for the band, sleeve, rny and ds, just not for everyone. get educated on all surgery types before you pick the next kind you want, make sure it is for you. Dont go to a dr that only does one or 2 of those as you will be swayed in that direction. Again I am waiting to be sleeved that is the revision from band I have picked, it is a personal choice and one that is best for me at this point in my life. Do you research ask questions and ask again, try to do the best you can for yourself. keep asking questions till you are comfortable....

Mila

I am actually in a much better place since researching the sleeve and finding the forums. The pain I have is due to my tubing that cracked and broke off and is literally poking all over (depending on where it decides to move for the day). I also have a slip. I am mainly concerned about recovery since I have three kids that are very involved in activities and I work full time. At least that is only a short part of the process. My husband is very supportive, but the rest of my family really isn't. I have just chosen not to speak with them about it anymore and move on. I have the rest of my preop testing today and hopefully I will have a surgery date soon!

Hi Becca,

My band was great in the beginning. Then i found my sweet spot so to say, and my son was struck with cancer suddenly and like that i could not keep anything down, throwing up every bite of food i ingested. they say stress causes the band to tighten, that is the TRUTH. So, with that, and not really paying much attention to me at the time and taking care of my 8 year old who was going through hell, my band slipped. I do not feel that I failed my band, but that my band failed me. I lost over 50 pounds with my band, and that damn thing rebelled when i needed it most. so, now it is gone, and I am getting sleeved on 10/15. I have since gained back 30 pounds, but holding steady, 19 days to go!

Oh, and I am not telling anyone that I am getting sleeved, just the few most important people in my life, mom, hubby, dad, and kids. Work thinks I won a trip to Mexico for a long weekend. That is in case I need a few extra days off, I can use Montezuma's revenge when i get back! Family thinks, I'm taking mom away for a girls weekend of R and R! So you see others do not even need to know you are changing things up. :)

Good luck with your decision!

Patti