Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many calories per day?

I am just over 2 months postop and was wondering how many calories a day I should be eating? I haven't meticulously tracked my food for a few weeks like I did in the beginning and sometimes I feel like maybe I am eating too much, so I tracked what I ate today and it was 665 calories. Too much? Too little? Is it okay? :001_tongue:

My surgery is on October 4th. Currently I am at about 1200 calories a day. It is hard to imagine that I will be fine on only 600 or less per day! I am always hungry now. I really hope this works!:001_tongue:

Did your surgeon give you guidelines? Mine did, 600 calories - 70grams Protein - 60 ounces Water, every day. I know that these are a bit stricter than most folks.

Globetrotter -

I didn't really come home with any clearly defined guidelines except for the first few weeks. I do remember Tiffykins saying that at a year out she was eating about 1200 cal/day, I was just curious where I should be now? I am comfortable with how I am losing, so I must not be too far off track. How long ago was your surgery?

I generally eat 900-1000. I walk daily and do more strenuous exercise about 3x a week.

I eat around 900 cal a day, but I'm on the go all day long with 3 children (a 10 month baby included) and I work out 3-4 times a week, I feel quite comfortable with this amount of calories, the days that I eat less I feel like I'm gonna faint any minute, I'm 7 weeks out losing slowly but happy with my loss!

Globetrotter -

I didn't really come home with any clearly defined guidelines except for the first few weeks. I do remember Tiffykins saying that at a year out she was eating about 1200 cal/day, I was just curious where I should be now? I am comfortable with how I am losing, so I must not be too far off track. How long ago was your surgery?

Hi Kathy, at 2 months out i was getting about 600 - 800 calories in, now at 9 months I have no idea what i'm getting. . i'm not tracking either, i am having whatever, but being careful of whatever i eat. . .don't over indulge in anything and am still losing. . . slowly, but i'm losing nonetheless. . .

Globetrotter -

Hey Kathy, my surgery was July 14th. I exercise everyday but very gently, only 30 minutes of walking on the treadmill 3.0 incline and 2.0 speed. I am a slow loser and wonder whether I would lose more quickly if I ate more. My surgeon said that wls patients have a 9 month golden window to lose weight at an accelerated pace, after which we become regular losers because our bodies readjust. I should probably step up the exercise but I am still very heavy and anything more than a brisk walk hurts. I've ordered a beginner pilates dvd and will incorporate that.

fatsecret.com is my food tracker, you can go there and see what I'm eating on a daily basis. I'm globetrotter there as well.

I'm 3.5months post op and reckon I average about 1000 per day, sometimes I'll be about 900, sometimes maybe even 1200....I don't track every day but I am eating what I want to.

We've just been away for 12 days and I ate what I wanted, didn't track, and still lost 3.75lbs over the 2 weeks weigh ins! Loving the sleeve!!!

I am stepping up the exercise tho - although did none apart from walking whilst away.

I am six months out and still do 60-70g Protein daily and 600-800 calories daily. The days I don't track and then backtrack to see what I have actually done end up with lots of "just having a bite" of things and can result in a couple hundred calories, which when you eating so little can add up quickly! Sounds like according to most of our surgeons guidelines you are right on track. Also the less you weigh the less you burn in a day so sometimes being aware of what you are burning will help you get an idea of how much you should be eating.

Right now w/out exercise I burn 2100 calories daily

I eat about 700 calories daily

That leaves me with a deficit of 1400 calories a day.

It takes 3500 calories to burn one pound so at my current rate I will lose 2.8 lbs weekly averaging 11.2lbs monthly. I have to keep myself pretty aware, because I gained weight because I really chose not to pay attention to myself in these areas (even started to wear clothes that if I gained or lost weight I would not notice.)

Best of luck!

Anna

I have been tracking every day on myfitnesspal, and I usually have about 600-800, but on the days I work out, I try to eat an extra Protein Bar and usually I'm around 800-900 those days. I didn't get any clear guidelines on calories; I just make sure to get in 60gm Protein and then my fluids (which I need to work on!) and with those guidelines, my normal intake for calories is around 600-800.

At the moment the more I seem to eat the more I lose.... which goes against everything I have been used to in the past!!!

I'm at 7 months post op and eat between 700-850 calories a day, exercising 90+ minutes, 7 days a week. I still track everything on myfitnesspal . com.

At two months I was around 550-700 calories a day. I didn't start intensive exercise until the end of month 2.

My surgery is on October 4th. Currently I am at about 1200 calories a day. It is hard to imagine that I will be fine on only 600 or less per day! I am always hungry now. I really hope this works!:thumbup:

I'm scheduled for surgery 10/4/10 too:) I hope I'm doing everything right?? My pre-op diet is 2 protien shakes, 4lbs green veggies steamed or salad with wishbone spritzer spray for dressing, 3 oz of fish or chicken baked or grilled and for a snack I'm allowed sugarfree popcicles and Jello. Who is doing your surgery? What procedure are you doing? I'm doing GSP.