Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've been noticing pretty much lately that my hair is falling out and it doesn't just fall out when I wash my hair. There could be times when I'm fixing my hair and when I pull my away I notice ALOT of strands on the hairbrush. Am I not getting enough Vitamins or something? I do take a Multivitamin everyday. Does anybody know of anything I can do to keep my hair from falling out? The last thing I want is to have waist length hair and a bald spot at the top of my head. It's been like two weeks and I don't think it's going to let up. :scared0:

Also, I've been on a 2 week stall and haven't lost any weight since surgery (16 lbs). Since I just recently had the surgery (8/17), is that to be expected? I'm planning on going to the gym next week (my abs not quite ready). I don't really count calories but I know I'm not over doing it. I drink a Protein Shake in the morning. My lunch/dinner usually consists of half a ground chicken patty with a 1/4 baked potato and a snack in between. It's usually one or the another because I always feel full. Is there something I'm doing wrong or is it because I'm not exercising at all yet? I'm not frustrated yet since I've prepared myself for this from having read all the posts but I'm beginning to wonder already. :001_smile:

hey my doctor warned me about this you need to have your Protein thats the reason your hair is falling out 60-80grams a day i no its alot but she said if you dont do it your hair will definitly start falling out, oh man im pretty worried now i didnt think it was a big deal ....i guess i have to start eating my protein as will...good luck!!

hair loss is unfortunately a side effect most of us face, and it has nothing to do with your Vitamin regimen. It's a side effect of the anesthesia, the trauma your body has experienced, and there is nothing you can do to stop it. BUT, you can do things to help with regrowth. You can take a nail/hair/skin supplement like Biotin, you can use Folicure extra care Shampoo (I used this and had regrowth coming in before the shedding stopped). Try to avoid a lot of heat on your hair. Losing hair can not be contributed to just one reason, no amount of Protein will stop it, it'll help with regrowth, but you can ask around here, and know that there are patients that got their required Protein of 60gr plus some every day immediately post-op and they lost just as much if not more hair than I did, and I didn't hit my protein goals until I was on mushies which was around 5-6 weeks post-op. I only lost hair for 3 months, where OregonDaisy who got in her protein grams every day, and got in more protein than I did every day from early out post VSG, lost hair for 9 months. So, protein is NOT the only reason we lose hair. There's way too many reasons to blame one factor.

Here's an article on hair loss:

Telogen Effluvium: eMedicine Dermatology

If you're not tracking, I highly recommend you start. You'd be surprised by how much or how little you're really consuming. If you have calorie, carb, protein goals this ensures you are getting everything you need. If you don't have guidelines, ask your surgeon, ask your nutritionist, and if they don't give you guidelines, there's plenty posted around here. My program stated :600-800 calories per day, 60+ grams of protein, and no more than 30-40 grams of carbs. A carb was/is a carb, I didn't care if it was a "healthy" carb, or not. I counted it, and I stayed at or below 30gr of carbs per day. It's what worked for me, and I'm not saying to follow what I did, but my results have been fabulous.

Also, when you hit a stall, if you aren't tracking, you can not really know what you need to change to shake things up.

Exercise will help, but I didn't start exercising until I was 4 months out. All I did was light walking, and I tracked everything I put in my mouth. I never wavered from my dietary guidelines, and never experienced a stall.

Do you have any metabolic issues that could contribute to not losing weight such as thyroid, PCOS issues? If so, you'll want to have your labs pulled to make sure your levels are staying on course with your weight loss.

Once you start hitting the gym, your calories/carb/protein needs may change, so tracking is recommended so you can ensure that you're burning fat, building muscle and getting the proper nutrition.

Tracking isn't difficult, and if you have a smart phone, there are a lot of free food tracker apps that are available for you. I prefer myfitnesspal.com and have heard that fatsecret.com is a good one as well.

Edited by Tiffykins

Sorry to tell you this but it probably will happen no matter how much Protein you take in. Look for the tread "hair loss poll" I think it has more to do with having Surgery and Anesthesia. =( You will find people on that tread that took Vitamins, did all required protein, special Shampoo and still lost hair.< /p>

My hair was already compromised due to PCOS and now 8 weeks out I am seeing shedding. I've decided that before it gets really bad I will invest in a really high quality wig just in case. I'm not kidding.

Why not get a wig.....all the hottest looking chick's on TV wear them or have clip in's or weave. Do you think that is all Kim K's hair or her sisters. Jessica S - clip in, Drunk Lohan - weave, Carrie Underwood - clip in's etc. etc. GO for IT!

Thanks for all the info everyone. I'm not so worried about it now but I will be going to the store and buying Biotin and Folicure Shampoo. I'm pretty lucky in that my hair grows quickly so hopefully it'll help jumpstart my Hair growth. I don't use a blowdryer at all and my hair is naturally curly so all I really use is mousse to keep the frizz under control. If it gets worse, then I just might have to invest in a wig though I'm not so sure how having a hat of hair on my head is going to feel. I'm glad to have you all on this forum. Thanks!

I followed the rules to a tea and just like clockwork at three months my hair started falling out and now at as I am hitting month 6 it is slowing way down. Bald skinny girls really are all the rage! (It was very frustrating to me, but it will slow down and grow back!)

Anna

It is almost inevitable from what I understand that you'll lose a fair amount of hair after a major trauma like surgery.

The good news is that it's very unlikely that you'll go bald as long as your diet is healthy and balanced, and it WILL grow back.

I'm lucky because I shave my head. Too bad that look never really caught on with you ladies :(

Losing your hair is from the anesthsia. I had four other surgeries and my hair temporarily thinned a little bit because of it. So did my friend's. However, anytime you are Vitamin or nutrient deficient in any way, your hair will thin out.

Well I'm suffering from a naturally receding hairline anyway, but the amount of hair I've lost in the last month or so is quite disturbing. I've come to accept that a) it's worth the health benefits of the surgery, and B) it will eventually come back.

That reminds me, I should go hat shopping soon. :glare: