Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

i'd like to hear from the smaller sleeve patients out there

hi everyone im more of a smaller person getting sleeve im 5"2 and around 200-205lbs i was just wondering if theres anyone out there that is around my size and gonna get surgery? im 4 days away from my surgery and wondering if its better recovery the smaller you are? and i would just like too hear from some of the people that are more on the smaller side that have had or going to have and how was it for you, thankx everyone for your reply..........wish me luck sept 23 is the day

your sleeve friend melissa

Hiya Mellissa,

I too am 5 2 but I was heavier at 238 on the day of surgery, I am now 207. I recovered really well, no major problems. I was tired a lot in the first 3 weeks and found that I did a lot of nanna napping; I also found it uncomfortable to lie on my side so I spent three weeks propped up in bed! Apart from that all good as regarding recovery... Good luck for the 23rd x

I'm curious to hear the responses as well. I'm 5'1 and 190, so am in your boat. I plan to have the sleeve in early Dec. Good luck to you!! :thumbdown:

Hey Melissa,

I'm taller than you at 5'8, but am dead on a bmi of 35. I'm curious, as well, as to how folks do with a lower bmi having the sleeve. My surgeon says I'll do great because of it, but still a little trepiditious!

Hi Melissa,

I am 5ft 3 and weighed 210lb when I started my pre-op and had my surgery 10 days ago.

So far I am doing pretty good. I'm down to 198 already and my clothes are definitely looser.

I did a lot of research before opting for this surgery and I believe that it is the most sucessful for patients of our BMI.

I obviously can't give you any long term feedback yet, but I'll be posting regularly.

All the best with it! xx

I was 204 when I went in and 5'8. I have lost 15 pounds since the 4th of September. Weight lose has stalled thanks to pms!!!! And at least I am not gaining but been on 189 for 3 days now. I will let you know since I also had a low bmi. Hope you are doing great!!!

Well, I'm tall but was at BMI 36 when I had the sleeve done last year. It's been superb for me: very little trouble after the surgery, though I did have a kidney stone in March, and my weight loss was quick at the beginning, tapering off when I got below BMI 25 and now I've been maintaining for a couple of months. I've been a lot heavier before, so I remember what it felt like, and the difference is enormous. Big big change from BMI 36 as well, of course. I love moving around now. I go running just because it feels good.

I'm 5'2" and was 175 on the day of surgery, which is a BMI of about 32. I'm 6 months out this week and this morning I was 138.8 on my scale. I absolutely breezed through the surgery and recovery with no issues whatsoever -- I only took one dose of the pain meds they sent me home with! I felt like I had pretty low energy for maybe a couple of months, but now I am raring to go -- twice a week I do an hour in the gym with my trainer and then an hour-long dance class and I have plenty of energy!!

My weight loss has been super-slow compared to almost everybody else here (just under a pound a week), but I am thrilled to pieces with my progress! I went shopping last week and bought pants in size FOUR!! Here are some photos to give you an idea of my progress. It may not seem very dramatic to those who started out with more to lose, but I'm really happy with it:

Before and now:

before2-1.jpg09-15-10-1-1.jpg

before3-1.jpg09-14-10-1.jpg

Edited by MlkPas

I was 5'5" and 208 when I got sleeved. One thing I noticed is that a fair number of heavier people complained about belly pain and issues with moving around because of it. I didn't have anything like that, I think maybe it's because I simply had less flesh on my belly pulling on the incisions when I moved around. I did, of course, feel some soreness when I'd bend down to tie my shoes the first few days, but that's it.

I think I have all of you all beat I am 5'3 and before the surgery I was 290. I have had such a remarkable recovery it scares me, Tolerable pain when I got home, I only had one dose of pain meds, I can sleep on my tummy and eat and drink just fine just not as much. I have to force myself to eat at times never really hungry. I feel so blessed and you will be fine.

I was BMI 32 at the time of the surgery. I'm 1 month out and lost 24lbs since then. Recovery was pretty fast and I was working 1 week after surgery. I'm already able to eat almost everything in small portions.

The surgery, recovery and maintenance has been easy overall. I so wish I would have known about this surgery sooner!

You can read about my experience in the link below.

For the most part, I think if you go in with a positive attitude, get lots of sleep the first couple of days, move around a decent amount and keep the Protein up, you will do well.

I traveled alone, walked thru the airport, went back to work on Monday just 4 days after surgery and was back to a normal schedule quickly.

The mental has been harder than the physical but I am doing great now.

The love for food is still there but I am not as obsessed with it.

And being down 60 pounds is absolutely amazing!!

i'm 5'2" and was 175 on the day of surgery, which is a bmi of about 32. I'm 6 months out this week and this morning i was 138.8 on my scale. I absolutely breezed through the surgery and recovery with no issues whatsoever -- i only took one dose of the pain meds they sent me home with! I felt like i had pretty low energy for maybe a couple of months, but now i am raring to go -- twice a week i do an hour in the gym with my trainer and then an hour-long dance class and i have plenty of energy!!

My weight loss has been super-slow compared to almost everybody else here (just under a pound a week), but i am thrilled to pieces with my progress! I went shopping last week and bought pants in size four!! Here are some photos to give you an idea of my progress. It may not seem very dramatic to those who started out with more to lose, but i'm really happy with it:

Before and now:

before2-1.jpg09-15-10-1-1.jpg

before3-1.jpg09-14-10-1.jpg

super cute sling backs :thumbup1:

I am 5'4 and started at 215, BMI 36.9. I am 4 1/2wks out and down 26lbs. to 189. The first three wks I would take little naps, but now I'm starting to have more energy. I didn't have any pain that required pain meds once I left the hospital. I was sleeping on my side by wk 1. Now I sleep on my tummy. I had a little acid reflux and heart burn the first couple of weeks. But it seems to be gone. I started at the gym walking on the treadmill for an 1hr, 3 miles without any problems last week (4wk). I plan on starting light weights for my arms this week 5. I've read that us light weights dont seem to lose much hair and that makes me so happy! I eat almost anything. just a few bites. When I hit a stall I'll up my work out and calorie in take to see if that helps. I don't think there is any magic solution when it comes to stalls because we are all different. Its all trial and error. Best of luck to all.:thumbup1: