Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Best week ever, NSV after NSV!!

(X-posted, sorry for the repetition if anyone read this elsewhere!)

Very early in this process for me, there was a thread here as well as another forum asking people what their goals were, what they looked forward to and hoped to achieve with their weight loss.

The last few days have been awesome for me! One of my biggest goals initially was to run a 5K by late summer/early fall. I've never been a good runner at all, even in my late teens/early 20s when I was otherwise in the best shape of my life. I've run a mile... one time. Now I'm doing Couch to 5K, and Saturday I ran 25 minutes AND hit two miles. That's twice as long as I've ever run in my entire life, ever. That alone put me on cloud nine, but then we got together with some old high school friends of mine that night and the compliments were wonderful and we had just a fantastic time. Monday I ran 28 minutes, and today made 31 minutes for 2.4 miles. I've jumped the gun a little bit and registered me and my hubby for my first 5K .... a week from Saturday, on the 25th!!

And I've had tons of OMG! moments throughout this thing, but today's the first one that made me cry. I have held on to a pair of jeans that I wore before I got pregnant with my son (who's 21 1/2 now), for that many years. They're the smallest ones I ever had as an adult, a size 12 which translates to about a 10 by today's sizing. They're high-waisted, pleated, peg-legged and acid washed, and I knew I'd never wear them in public again, but kept them all these years for that "someday" when I'd be able to put them on again. They've gone from California to Michigan to New York to Michigan to Florida and back to Michigan again with me, always hanging in my closet just waiting for me to get my sh*t together and finally lose the weight (which of course, just kept piling on). The waist looks so tiny, I couldn't even remember being that small.

Today I was trying to find a pair of jeans that wasn't too baggy or too tight, and just for the heck of it I pulled out those things to see if I could even get them over my butt yet. Before surgery, I couldn't even get them past mid-thigh. I was in the middle of telling my husband exactly that -- "Before, I couldn't even get...." --and one leg was in. Then the other leg was in and the damn things pulled up all the way... and I burst into tears. They buttoned and zipped (had to lay on the bed to do that LOL!) but they WENT ON! And I just cried, and he almost did too seeing me so happy and proud of myself. It was an amazing moment.

The day of the 5K, the 25th, will also be my 8 month surgiversary and I VOW to take pics and put some before-and-durings up. I actually have a before pic of me with those jeans pulled up to mid-thigh, as far as they'd go at the time.

Just had to share the most thrilling days of this whole thing for me so far! :thumbup:

Those are some awesome NSVs. I think it's awesome that you're doing a 5K. I see lots of people doing that, and I really want to try the couch to 5k, but I think I better get in a little better shape before I do. And what a great feeling to fit into those jeans! I can't wait to see the before and during photos. Way to go!

your post really made me smile! I am so happy for you. that is awesome.

Wow Stacy, your post made me tear up. . . i'm soooooooooooooooooo very damn proud of you girl! I know the pain we go through as obese people, the fears, and the snears and jokes told aiming at us. . . then when something like this comes it's so exciting and so heart tugging. . . how i can relate to you! Once again, CONGRATULATIONS my friend! You've done very very very well. . . keep it up! and keep posting

I can relate about the saving a pair or jeans to fit into. I am waiting patiently for my sleeve so that I can join the loosers bench and experience all the great highs everyone is posting about!

Congratulations!!

Good for you Stacy...your jeans story made me laugh out loud and before I knew it I was crying and laughing at the same time. This is an incredible journey we are all on... we are all so blessed to have this opportunity. It seems a second chance at life. Thank you so much for sharing your story.

Stacy you made me well up. Wow those are all so wonderful and I can actually hear your joy through your post. Thank you for sharing with us and congrats on making your tool (the sleeve) work for you. It is amazing.

Stacy, I got all choked up reading your post, after that story you have GOT to post a pic of you in those jeans!!!! And hey, with the bizarre fashion these days, I wouldn't be surprised if those jeans are back in fashion!:scared0: You could do what the blogger Eggface did with some jeans she wanted to keep as a memorial to her journey - she cut off a piece of the embroidered leg and turned it into a coin purse.

Stacey, you're post made me cry, I'm so happy for you and your joy and excitement shine through your post, congratulations! I think this forum is great because only us , who are going through this know how BIG these little victories really are!

Oh gosh you guys, your own responses are making me all misty again. :scared0: Yes, JOY is the word for what yesterday was all about! This procedure is so amazing and the surprises it gives never get old. We're doing the work, but the sleeve makes it possible for us to do the work when we never could make it work before. I love this thing and this place and everyone here! And yep, there will be pics in those jeans too, near the end of the month LOL.

That seriously brought tears to my eyes ! ! ! I had a mental picture of you trying on those pants (not in that creepy seeing you undressed way LOL) ! ! ! Super proud of you, and I can't wait to see your pics! ! !

Congratulations!! Your post is so upbeat and happy that it makes me look forward to when I will be able to say OMG!! The OMG moments are the best, aren't they?? Wish I could give you a hug! :thumbup1:

Believe me, I feel hugged by all your wonderful replies... you guys are the best!!

Awesome! I have a dress that I AM GOING TO WEAR! I do know how you feel. These triumphs are what make it all worthwhile.