Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

And the stupid comments begin...

So I went to a friend's place for a dinner party yesterday. All the people invited were my close friends, so everyone knew about my VSG, and I made comments about it pretty freely. I mentioned something about how I can't eat very much, and then the hostess' mother, who I guess wasn't told about it, asked me why. So I was like, "Oh, I had my stomach surgically reduced in Mexico so I'd lose weight." She YELLED out: "Are you CRAZY

!? I know someone who did this and then died 3 years later! DIED!!!!!!" I said something about how it probably isn't the same surgery and the death might not be related to it, but she just yelled "SHE DIED!!!!" again and then got up from the table, went downstairs, and never came up for the rest of the dinner.:) She had been pretty rude to everyone at the beginning of the dinner, as well, so it seemed like she was having a bad day, but what the hell.....how inappropriate on so many levels.:001_wub:

ugh...this is why I havent told anyone,not even my mother!(well if she knew the whole world would know! lol) I'm sorry you had to witness this persons bad day opinion.

its sad that you had to be subjected to that. so many people have not heard about the sleeve, or even if they have heard they have no idea what it involves. my sister freaked out when i mentioned i was considering it. everyone has heard so many horror stories from back in the day when they first started doing the bypass, hopefully you didn't let it spoil your evening, you have made a wonderful choice and will be so much healthier and happier. Take care jeani

Sounds painful. Yet another reason I'm telling people that I'm on a supervised diet by my doctor. Nobody can say that's bad, nor complain about it.

I thought I was doing a good thing by telling people. But everything is not for everyone...

So sorry you had to experience that.

My mouth is agape.....all I can say is WOW. ::shaking my head::

I'm so sorry this happened to you :thumbup1: ...Girl forget about all those negative comments and look at the fact you have lost an amazing 25 lbs. and only 38 lbs. to go! WHOO HOO!

the woman sounds crazy... what a horrid reaction... just remember why you had the sleeve, bask in the glory of your success and stuff her!!!

Thanks, guys. My greatgrandmother had an >80% gastrectomy for stomach cancer, and has been fine for 20 years now, so I'm not worried. I put a lot of research into this, so obviously it wasn't a spur-of-the-moment decision, so it's just Water off my back. I am not surprised to hear people ask if I'm worried, etc - it's a normal reaction if you don't know very much about the surgery. It's just the rudeness that she voiced it with. I thought everyone knew not to say those types of things, but I guess some of us are still lacking in basic social skills at the age of 50+....lol. Plus I had met her once before and she was lots of fun, so I don't know what bit her last night.

Edited by BlackBerryJuice

I would have been a smart a$$ and said atleast I will die a SKINNY BITCH!!!! :laugh0::001_tt2:

:lol0::thumbup::laugh0: lol, that is exactly what I tell people when they say you could die from that surgery. dugh, I could die of a heart attack at any moment because of my weight. Or no maybe no one should get in a car and drive you may have a accident and die. At least if I do die because of this surgery I will die HAPPY!!!!!

I feel 10 feet tall and bullet proof. I don't care what anybody says. I feel great and my hubby supports me 100% so what else could a person want! Plus I have all of you great people here to cheer me on. How great is that?

I feel 10 feet tall and bullet proof. I don't care what anybody says. I feel great and my hubby supports me 100% so what else could a person want! Plus I have all of you great people here to cheer me on. How great is that?

That is so lovely :w00t:

I wouldn't mention Mexico, cause alot of people freak out. Just say you're on a diet or you've already eaten. It works :)

Well, if I bother to tell someone about my surgery, I will tell them where. And I give them all the information, like how I went down there prior to check them out and spoke with 2 of the docs and the nurses, toured the hospital and the time they spent with me, answering my questions (and I had a million).

Then I tell them about my research and my doc's great stats and how clean the hospital is. And then I tell them about how quickly and competently they handled my complication (which was not their fault). And then I tell them what I paid.

By the time I am done singing Dr Aceves' & co's praises, they all realize I did the best thing. And I have had people ask me for the information. I could sell Dr. Aceves' surgeries :)

GG