Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two weeks post-op enjoying hamburger

Ummm I wouldn't have recommended that? I haven't been "sleeved" but was under the impression that "soft" foods were introduced at 2-4 wks.

I'd go to the dr if I was you.

I ate half a hamburger just two weeks post-op. Will my staples tear? Yikes.

Now Mr. Mike,

Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do it. The post ops are important in the healing of your stomach. It is also the time to get a grip on starting good habits.

Your stomach was severed into two pieces 14 days ago and is being held together to prevent leaking by staples and possibly sutures....lets think about this. Do you think a hamburger is the food it needs to have shoved into it at this point? Im thinking that's a fat NO.

wowzers!!!! you are definitely pretty brave .... i would be way to scared to do that at that point in time.. but i have heard of people eating heavier foods sooner than recommended ... im sure it wont kill you but its definitely not a great idea... especially because we should be focussing on healthier food choices to make good use out of this tool!!!

It's amazing you can get hamburger 14days out. But it's the right meat to eat since it's crushed meat. Down here they allow tiny pieces of meat in the Soup after day 7. They also allow to take small pieces of dry chiken or meat after day 14. If your doctor cleared you for that and there is no disconfort I don't see why not!

By the way you can eat the hamburger with the bread?

Edited by DogBone

No one can predict if they'll tear, but you increase your risk for a leak if you're willing to push your sleeve. If you're cleared for solids, and breads then your surgeon has a different guideline than the majority.

You also have to consider that food particles can lodge in the staple line if tissue hasn't sealed over it completely. People have gotten abscesses on their staple line, and that leads to a leak later down the recovery road.

Try to stick with the dietary guideline given to you by your surgeon. Your stomach is still healing, you may not get a full signal, and overindulging this early out may lead to discomfort and vomiting. Again, your job right now is to protect the staple line, and form better eating habits for a successful weight loss.

I can't even imagine being able to eat 1/2 hamburger unless it was just the meat that early out. Heck, I could barely eat 2oz of meat at 2 months post-op much less bread.< /span>

We also have to consider that bigger (longer) original stomach is the bigger the final sleeve will be. We man have most of times bigger stomachs than woman.

My doctor take pictures of the bag he pulled out full of air like a bean, he showed me some, and they vary much in size and length.

Edited by DogBone

That might be true but that just means you have a longer staple line which can get food caught in it and cause a leak. I doubt your DR said it was okay to eat a hamburger this soon out. I'd take a step backwards and do just how your Dr says, you've done so much work so far why screw it up?

Just remember, the Surgeons give us the guidelines to follow for our own safety. A few weeks is a "drop in the bucket" as far as the rest of your life goes. Be careful and allow everything to heal up correctly. Also remember that good food choices now will develop into a new way of life that we all need for success with our sleeve. Good luck.

I was sleeved on August 23, 2010 and I just started pureed foods today and will be on pureed foods for 2 weeks. For you to eat 1/2 of hamburger seems like it would be too much too soon. We are still healing. Good Luck.

My surgeon & nutritionist told me that at 14 weeks "soft foods" which they included ground meats - beef/turket/chicken - we perfectly fine, but obviously in small amounts. Granted, not sure that would be the first softee I chose...but you should be fine. I wouldn't panic, just pay attention to how your body reacts...

How did you feel after you ate it? Were you uncomfortable at all?

Wow.... I can't even have ground beef until I'm six months out. Be careful dude. We need to protect the staple line.

Deb

Thank you all so much for your feedback......

My doctor said not to eat hamburger for several months. I ate only the burger not the bun. I chewed and chewed. I have been very active and am losing 7 lbs per week. I feel just fine but was afraid I may have torn something simply because he was so adamant. I am eating about four times as much food as he recommends but he wants me losing 4 lbs per week. I don't think my doctor understands my metabolic rate or my activity rate. I plan to run in a road race next week. Add golf, weight training, and biking and I need more calories than his expectation of someone my size. I would love to know when the stomach truly heals so I am no longer at risk for tearing. I am eating very healthy and I like I said, I am losing more weight per week than my doctor's goal. If I eat what he says ......three teaspoons of egg per day plus Protein drinks.......I feel weak.