Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Coffee and Alcohol?

Hi all!

I'm two months post-op and all is great with my sleeve. I can eat anything and everything without trouble, thank God!!

I'm wondering if I'm ready for coffee. I was never a heavy coffee drinker before; it was mainly "as needed." My surgeon and nurse say I can have it, but they've been saying that since one week post-op and it just seemed too soon. They are reliable, but I want to know what you sleevers have experienced. When did you reintroduce coffee and how did it go?

Same with alcohol. I was not a beer drinker, I mainly did liquor. There's a wedding coming up on the 25th of this month and I'd like to have a drink. I'd be 2 1/2 months by then. The doctor said I can tolerate alcohol now and even cracked a joke about me becoming a "cheap drunk." What do you guys think? What has been your experience with alcohol?

Thank you all and God bless you.

I waited a few months to have alcohol, and the first time it did hit me fast and hard then I was sobered up quickly. As the months have progressed, I can easily drink, catch and maintain a good buzz.

I was advised to stick with white wine first, or vodka and some sort of juice. I drank wine, and still stick with wine for the most part. An occasional mojito, and my fave is rum/cokes when I'm out on the town. My tolerance is now back to how it was pre-op.

I can't remember when I had coffee, but it was around 2-3 months out. Today, I drink 20-24oz of coffee sweetened with Splenda, and full fat Creamer every morning.

I recommend testing the waters with alcohol at home first to avoid an embarrassing situation out in public. Sip, sip, sip is my advice for the first time. I have found that creamy, rich drinks like white russians/mudslides kind of make me queasy, and not feel so great. So, I'm sticking to the light liquors, and wines.

I was sleeved one week ago today on Sept 1st and have had coffee every single day since - although I switched to Decaf coffee. In fact I was given decaf coffee in the hospital even. My nutrionist counts it as part of my daily Fluid intake so long as it is decaf and anything added to it is either sugar free or fat free and limit it to 2 cups per day. But really I prefer mine black anyways.

In fact when I went for my first appt with the nutrionist and we were going over my list of can and can't haves coffee was not listed and I specifically asked her about it. Truthfully there was nothing on the can't have list I couldn't live without but I was upfront and told her there was no way I would give up coffee. Over the last two years prior to surgery I had given up white carbs, Desserts, cigarettes, candy, soda, alcohol (except for special occassions) and fried foods. There was simply no way I was giving up my coffee because I was having surgery to be healthy, not be deprived of every single thing I enjoyed and she agreed. She even pointed out studies that show regular coffee drinkers, regardless of whether it regular or decaf have lower rates of colon cancer. My stomach tolerates it no differently than before surgery - thank god! Cause I LOVE the stuff! However she told me no alcohol until 4 months after surgery

Thank you Tiff and iowagirl. It's a great idea to have my first drink at home to see how I respond to it. I'm going to double check with my doctor though since you iowagirl were told no alcohol till four months.

Again, thanks for your input and God bless you all!

I had my first cocktail on Monday; a whiskey sour. Like you Tiff, I felt that flushed feeling almost immediately but then I was fine about 30 minutes later. I just had the one drink, and I nursed it and drank Water along with it but for the most part it was pretty similiar to drinking pre-op

My nut told me no alcohol for a year. Many surgeons say the same thing as a precaution. They don't want you to develop a transfer addiction. A co-worker of mine became an alcoholic after her gastric bypass and she passed away from liver disease three years after surgery. That's enough to get me to listen to my nutritionist.

AniO