Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm new here and in the process of jumping through the insurance hoops for weight loss surgery. I have my last visit with the doctor prior to them submitting for insurance approval next week and still undecided. Can anyone tell me why they chose the sleeve over the bypass?

I appreciate your help. This is a big decision and I want to do it right!

Tandy

Here's my list for choosing VSG over RNY for my revision: I could have had RNY very easily, but I fought for VSG.

1) Malabsorption of fat/calories only last 18-24 months (after that the villi in the intestine regrow), but the malabsorption of nutrients/vitamins are for the rest of your life. Not a fair trade off if you ask me.

2) Blind stomach left behind that is difficult to scope, but can still get ulcers and cancer.

3) The whole pouch/stoma thing is not natural. I had a pouch/stoma thing with the band, and it sucked. I loved the fact that I would have a normal stomach with my pyloric valve intact.

4) Regain stats with RNY are downright scary

5) Long term complications related to pouch dilation, vitamin/nutrient deficiencies and the number of patients seeking RNY revision to either DS or ERNY were just too high for me

6) Dumping syndrome only happens to about 30% of RNY patients. For me, if I can't keep my hand out of the cookie jar without some form of sick self-punishment of puking, nausea, and fatigue then do I really need to have WLS? I knew I had to change my relationship with food regardless of which WLS I chose.

7) I like my NSAIDS. With RNY, they are a complete NO NO. Also, in the future, if I were to need to take steroids, I didn't want to worry about them eating my pouch.

8) I have a lot (like 10) friends in real life that all struggle tremendously with RNY especially those that are 5-8 years out. I have one that just had her 4th surgery related to her 7yr old RNY. My other dear friend is now on Iron infusions every 4 weeks because she can't eat Iron rich foods, and iron pills irritate her pouch so badly. 7 out of 10 have regained at least 40 pounds, and only 4 of them experience dumping, but it's not as severe as it was for them when early out.

9) That no hunger thing is awesome with the sleeve. The fundus being cut away and removed from the body, removes the main source of Ghrelin production in our bodies. At 15 months out, I'm still never physically hungry. I love food, I eat, but I'm not hungry. I was always hungry with my band. I would eat, be satisfied with the small portion in my pouch. Then food would pass through, and I'd be starving again. It was a miserable cycle.

The stats with VSG and RNY on weight loss are neck and neck. The studies out there for gastrectomies (partial or full removal of the stomach) for cancer and ulcer patients gave me peace of mind that for my long term health, VSG was the answer to my weight loss surgery needs.

Best wishes on your research. I have tons of links and information in my blog on here if you'd like to read some of the stats.

I'll add you to my contact list so you can access my blog if you'd like. Look for the blog post called "Just to bookmark this" it's lapband information, but at the bottom of that post, there are lots of links for VSG.

Tiffy, thanks for the input. This is exactly the type of information I was hoping for. I'd love to check out your blog as well. Thanks again!

Tandy

Tiff, I have been recommended for both VSG and RNY as well. I am leaning towards VSG for some of the same reasons you mentioned. Might I get on your list so I can access the links too? Thanks for all the info, Kim

Tiff,

Would you mind adding me to your list as well? I'm trying to choose between the band and the sleeve and it seems like your blog would be a good one for me to read. Thanks,

Krista