Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Built like a peasant!

A French peasant, to be exact, seeing as I've got that somewhere in my family ... I started this journey wearing a snug 24 at 294 pounds day of surgery. I could lose 100 pounds, and barely be in an 18/20!! How is that fair!?!?!! Even when I was skinny in high school my hips were proportionally enormous, size 5 waist, size 6 legs, size 10 hips. So I see people here on the forum talking about having only begun to lose and already they are down 3 sizes, and I turn into a Yosemite Sam of jealousy - frickinfrackenflipersnappingodblessamerica! 100 freakin' pounds off my body and only down three sizes. I figured this out because the last time I weighed 190 something I was in an 18 at old navy. Of course, with vanity sizing these days - due to our nationally expanding waistline - makes your size number meaningless anyway. The measurements that got me into a size 8 in high school would today make me a size four so, who knows.

Bah Humbug!!:)

I am just the opposite. I can be a 24 in waist and a 18/20 in butt and hips. It is the suck for sure either way!

For me I tend to be a size or two smaller on top than on my bottoms. At my heaviest I was wearing 28W's but my tops were only 3X.

At my smallest post Lap-Band surgery I was just getting into the 14's but I was able to wear L tops and even some M's. Strange -- I wonder what my tops would be if I got down to 6's or whatever. That would be interesting.

I remember many years ago the last time I was thin I fitted around that size but was still only Medium or some Small tops. However I won't base what I knew then to now because I know sizes have changed a great deal than from what they were in the 80's.

I'm in 22's right now and I weigh 275. Isn't that kind of heavy for that size? I'm only 5'6, and I always thought I was heavier than the average for the bear's my height.

Maybe its just self reflection and its not the case. Anyhow GT you are not alone in your thoughts. I think maybe every one of us feels a little of that towards ourselves. We are our own worst critics!!

Aha!! See!! at 275 I couldn't pour myself into 22's, I was still a 24. At 264.4 I am only just now comfortably in 22's. I think even after all is said and done I am still going to need to go to a tailor to take in the small of the back in shirts, the waist in pants, and all sleeves and lengths shortened!

Globetrotter, your too cute! I love the long word of explaination! How tall are you? this could have lots to do with it. . are you exercising? this could have something to do with it. . at least you have hips, i'm 6'0 tall, weigh 225lbs, wear size 16/18 pants but have the shape of a man. . . good lord! when i was called a 2x4 in elementary school, they weren't kidding huh??? man hips! ugh. . . we seem to all have weirdo problems. . . that is probably why we are not models! hehehehe . . . but at least we're losing weight right!

Haha ThinOneDay, I had a worry that I attracted gay but not realising it guys when I was younger, being so unwomanly in my figure, aprat from the tits obviously!!

Jane x

I would rather have a big but and hips and a flat stomach than this massive stomach that hangs to my knees.:) At least when you guys get thin, your butt skin wont be hanging past your knees like my stomach will. Im starting at 365 lbs and Im 5'2". After my 55 lbs lost people are jokingly saying I am being Wringed like a rag from the head down because my stomach is still so big and dangling. SAD HUH! Well anyway... at least I can live life now and its only gonna get better...:001_smile:

I would rather have a big but and hips and a flat stomach than this massive stomach that hangs to my knees.:) At least when you guys get thin, your butt skin wont be hanging past your knees like my stomach will. Im starting at 365 lbs and Im 5'2". After my 55 lbs lost people are jokingly saying I am being Wringed like a rag from the head down because my stomach is still so big and dangling. SAD HUH! Well anyway... at least I can live life now and its only gonna get better...:001_smile:

Wow are people really saying that? :sad0: Not nice...

Yeah, that's not nice! Tell them to go fork themselves. And BTW, I have a great big stomach, even when I was thin my tummy was rounded, so plastics will most likely be needed eventually! I've often thought I should just buy my pants from maternity stores so that they would fit in the legs AND the stomach. And Diva - consider yourself lucky to be a hipless wonder, especially as you get slim - that body type is who all the clothes are made for! I was born in the wrong era, my body would prefer to wear peasanty clothes circa 16th century: a boned bodice to hoist the girls and support the back, plenty of skirts that turn hips into an asset and underneath it all, a great big shirt that doubles as pyjamas! For the span of human history the womanly shape has been celebrated until this last century. Fashion, apart from the decade of the 1950's, has not been kind to the womanly figure since WWI.

Yeah, that's not nice! Tell them to go fork themselves. And BTW, I have a great big stomach, even when I was thin my tummy was rounded, so plastics will most likely be needed eventually! I've often thought I should just buy my pants from maternity stores so that they would fit in the legs AND the stomach. And Diva - consider yourself lucky to be a hipless wonder, especially as you get slim - that body type is who all the clothes are made for! I was born in the wrong era, my body would prefer to wear peasanty clothes circa 16th century: a boned bodice to hoist the girls and support the back, plenty of skirts that turn hips into an asset and underneath it all, a great big shirt that doubles as pyjamas! For the span of human history the womanly shape has been celebrated until this last century. Fashion, apart from the decade of the 1950's, has not been kind to the womanly figure since WWI.

Oh no that was not me! I have hips and thighs enough to provide for a small country. :thumbup:

However Globe, I have noticed that the clothes made now are more generous in the behind area. However I still always have slack in the waist area, but they're getting better!

It has been so long since I've participated in fashion that I have no idea what looks good and is in style for someone with wide hips. Thoughts? Suggestions? In high school, the last time I was fit and trim, I remember loving skirts, I don't think I wore pants except maybe one pair of jeans that I occasionally borrowed from a friend. But that was in the nineties and I don't think grunge would really suit me now!:D Although, I did see recently in a fashion mag that it is making a kind of comeback, lol lol.

I buy timeless mid 60s type pieces, and they really serve me well. I'm still wearing stuff I bought 15 years ago and it looks new and classically stylish. When it gets too big, I'm gonna miss it--but that's going to take a while. I'm down to size 28, which is a big deal for given how big I was. It will take forever to get to an 18, but I'm in it for the long haul. In the meantime, there's always the Roaman's catalog.

im built the same way, im smaller in the top and wider in the Hips and Butt. my pant normally are bigger in the waist area and tighter in my Ass. i currenty am wearing a size 22 pants and a 18 top and i wear my top a bit baggy cuz i dont want my rolls hanging out.

I think that body type is actually easier to dress than mine. I'm big on top, big in the hips, but I don't have a super tiny waist. I do have thinner legs, but that just makes the hips look even bigger. If I dress to fit my hips then the legs are just swimming. If I dress to fit my chest then the area between the shoulder blades has wads of extra fabric. Guess I'll just have to learn to sew!

I'm a classic hourglass and almost 6' tall. It is hard to find curvy, tall clothing! I started out in a 26W and am now in a 20W. I cannot wait to be in 18 or smaller... I have not been that size since... grade school!