Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

450 pounds, 23 y old, TERRIFIED!

Unfortunately yes. It's the gas! I know it's painful but try to move and walk as much as possible. I actually had my mother burp me like a baby and that helped too. You've gotta get that nasty co2 outta there or the pain is just awful. I'm so sorry love!

Thanks guys I was a bit freaked it was something bad. Glad Ye have had it too. Well not glad haha, sorry ur had to go through it too lol xxx

Emma, it's probably nothing but it's always worth asking your doctor, especially if you feel breathless, in which case you should go to A&E. I had all sorts of pains afterwards and my hypochondriac mind played all sorts of tricks on me, but it is better to be safe rather than sorry.

Jane x

Hi guys,

Lots to update you all on. Have finally got rid of the gas pains. Thank you God! Lol. They were the worst part of the whole op. My incisions are almost fully closed up. You can barely see them.

I saw my dietican yesterday and got lots of good news. I'm allowed move to to pureed foods. I can have scrambled egg. Woohoo! And I'm down 39 lbs! I'm delighted. Now I'm 392lbs. Cannot believe it. Feeling great and my menstrual cycle has returned after 15 months of nothing. Looks like thongs are getting back on track. Eating and drinking is still hard but I'm getting there.

I hope everyone is doing good. Let me know how everybody's journey is going. Thanks for your constant support

Xxx

Emma

Looks like thongs are getting back on track.

Hahahahha!! I know it's a typo, but it's a cute one. :lol:

Glad to know you're feeling better.... and 39 lbs.?? AWESOME, you're gonna rock this thing!!

Thongs! Lol...Damn typing on my phone lol. Always changes my words into embarrassing things :-)

Thanks stacy...I feel like I'm finally getting the hang of the whole thing x

Hi emmalouise! I just had to use my first post on this forum to say God bless you, you are so brave to stand up and take control of your future! It probably helps you as much to talk about your process, as it helps others to read about someone who is going through it. I have done the research and decided on the gastric sleeve, now on to choosing a doctor. I look forward to following the ups and downs of the people on this forum.

Hi DebK. Thank you so much for your kind post. I'm glad you have decided to go ahead with a sleeve. It really is amazing but I won't lie the first few weeks are tough going and your attitude to food completely changes but I'm so glad I've done it. Keep me posted.

XX

Emma

Hi Emmalouise. Welcome. I am 40 years older than you. I weighed 385.5 at my initial consult. Lost 19 pounds in the month preop. I selected the sleeve because of low risk of complications given my age and weight. I made it through surgery fine. No problems. Did great in the first week postop and since. I'm 9 weeks out. I'm now at 330 lbs. If I can do fine at my age and weight, you will do great!

Hi, i am writing to you because of your age, i am 54 and have been terrified of my up and coming surgery on 11/1/10. everyone on the site seems to be young and i am terrified, i have had 2 bands, and now going for the sleeve. also, does the sleeve take away the hunger and cravings or do u have to work hard with your diet like the band, and can u drink when u eat...sooooo many questions,,,sorry...............vicki

Emma, I was bigger than most at 310lbs but I know you may not see that as being "as big".... but I wanted to offer you a word of encouragement... I know that the sleeve originated as a two part surgery for VERY heavy patients (500-600lbs plus!)... where they would do the sleeve first, followed by a 2nd surgery to do intestinal bypass... which the end result is basically the DS (duodenal switch) surgery, once you add those two together. They do the sleeve part first because they consider it the least risk to such a large person, who is at more risk having surgery. SO... I hope that gives you a little comfort that it is supposed to be the safest for a larger person.

HUGS and wishing you all the very best!

Hi, i am writing to you because of your age, i am 54 and have been terrified of my up and coming surgery on 11/1/10. everyone on the site seems to be young and i am terrified, i have had 2 bands, and now going for the sleeve. also, does the sleeve take away the hunger and cravings or do u have to work hard with your diet like the band, and can u drink when u eat...sooooo many questions,,,sorry...............vicki

Hi, Vix, Welcome to the community! There are a number of older folks on here -- lots of folks in their 50s I think and some of us in our 60s. I think someone is even 70. I never had the band but there are a number of people who have had the revision, not all of them young. I think maybe Oregon Daisy had the revision. I believe she is in her 50s. You might send her a private message. I know she'd be glad to share with you.

I am doing great! I do get hungry if I don't eat for several hours (sometimes I get busy and forget). I can feel really hungry, too, BUT the restriction is great. i eat my 1/3-1/2 cup of Protein and maybe a bit of veggies and that's it. I'm full. I made some changes before surgery which I think helped me with cravings for addictive foods. I stopped drinking caffeine and carbonated Water and eating refined carbs and potatoes 1-2 months prior. I thought thewould be easier that way. I honestly have not really felt cravings for the bad stuff. Well,the other day I wanted to grab a Reese's Peanut Butter cup out of a co=workers hand, but that is the only time. My birthday yesterday and my co-workers bought a cake for me and ate it in front of me -- told me how delicious it was -- and it looked good, but I had no craving for it. That may change over time. You'll hear people say the sleeve is just a tool to restrict amounts; we have to decide what to put in our mouths. But it is so much easier with the sleeve to make the good decision. I'm four months out btw. Cannot drink when eating but my doctor lets us drink until 15 minutes before and we can start drinnking again 15-30 minutes after. Drs. vary slightly on the times.

If you have questions, just ask and anyone will be happy to share their knowledge and experience with you. There are special forums -- you might want to look at the aged-graded one and see what other folks in their 50s have to say. The odds are you'll do great.

Thanks for filling in Vix Roseib. Basically feel the same way. My cravings for bad food are practically gone. It's a struggle to get down my Protein but I am only 2 weeks out. It definitely alters your attitude toward food and makes you think about everything your putting into your body. I can't drink while eating but you get used to it. You'll be fine Vix, I wish you the best of luck

Xxx Emma

Hi, Vix, Welcome to the community! There are a number of older folks on here -- lots of folks in their 50s I think and some of us in our 60s. I think someone is even 70. I never had the band but there are a number of people who have had the revision, not all of them young. I think maybe Oregon Daisy had the revision. I believe she is in her 50s. You might send her a private message. I know she'd be glad to share with you.

I am doing great! I do get hungry if I don't eat for several hours (sometimes I get busy and forget). I can feel really hungry, too, BUT the restriction is great. i eat my 1/3-1/2 cup of Protein and maybe a bit of veggies and that's it. I'm full. I made some changes before surgery which I think helped me with cravings for addictive foods. I stopped drinking caffeine and carbonated Water and eating refined carbs and potatoes 1-2 months prior. I thought thewould be easier that way. I honestly have not really felt cravings for the bad stuff. Well,the other day I wanted to grab a Reese's Peanut Butter cup out of a co=workers hand, but that is the only time. My birthday yesterday and my co-workers bought a cake for me and ate it in front of me -- told me how delicious it was -- and it looked good, but I had no craving for it. That may change over time. You'll hear people say the sleeve is just a tool to restrict amounts; we have to decide what to put in our mouths. But it is so much easier with the sleeve to make the good decision. I'm four months out btw. Cannot drink when eating but my doctor lets us drink until 15 minutes before and we can start drinnking again 15-30 minutes after. Drs. vary slightly on the times.

If you have questions, just ask and anyone will be happy to share their knowledge and experience with you. There are special forums -- you might want to look at the aged-graded one and see what other folks in their 50s have to say. The odds are you'll do great.

thanks rose and emma for all your hlep and encouragment, i really appreciate it, i asked about drinking because i am not suppose to drink with the band because it flushes the food thru and then you are hungry again. im not sure if the same is true for the sleeve or if it because they want you to get your solids in first....i was also curious about the hunger and craving issues because i have read the remove the part of the stomach that releases the hormone ghrelin that causes hunger, but not sure if u still crave food. I am sooo scared, im afraid of leaks and infection etc...also, does everyone get those drains and how many for how long....thanks again, i appreciate any input so very much....:) vicki

I did get a drain and they had it placed in for 2 days. It was a bit uncomfortable -- especially when they removed it! Gah!! :o

EMMA! Greeat to hear how well you are doing!!!

Vix: I think pretty much everyone or at least the vast majority get a drain. It seems that most of us had it removed before leaving the hospital. It caused me the most discomfort, but that's not saying much. I was well-medicated and not in a lot of discomfort. It did hurt when they took it out but it was really quick so the pain was brief. I've read some posts from folks who said it didn't bother them at all, either when in or when being removed.

re: the ghrelin issue, I haven't personally researched it. But others on the board point out that ghrelin is produced in other parts of the body so the hormone is not entirely gone, although reduced in amount. It's hard to describe until one experiences it, but the restriction really does work. I wanted to eat more chili the other night, but couldn't go more than 1/3 cup. I really wanted more but I was full up at 1/3 cup. Yes, we still get mind hunger and have to learn to really listen to our bodies when we've physically had enough. Sorry I can't compare it to the band. I have no idea what that feels like. Folks like LilMissDiva, Tiffykins, and Oregon Daisy and lots more can give you that info. As you've probably realized by now lots of folks in this community have had the band to sleeve revision. And are very happy with the sleeve.