Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

450 pounds, 23 y old, TERRIFIED!

Emma, Excellent attitude! You may want to try out different Protein mixes while you wait and find one you like beforehand and start getting use to drinking all day long. For me the crystal lights have been a godsend. Also if you can start a walking routine that will help with your recovery. And start taking your Vitamins now to build up your system.

Nancy

Hi again. Forgot to mention what I have found inspiring given all the weight I need to lose snd that is the weight sspecific vsg support group which I think is the first link under the support groups section on the home page. There is one for folks with 150+ and 200+ lbs to lose. Some of the stories really inspire me.

Hi Emma, you will do great. The sleeve is an awesome tool. It is great that you are doing this at such a young age. Best wishes!!

Hi Emma,

Welcome to the forum and hello from over the Water in Hampshire, UK.

I understand your concerns as its hard not to discount the worries of surgery. Don't forget that your surgeon will be high experienced and also the whole operating team with be specially trained to deal with larger patients. Try to think of the possitives and how you life with change so much over this next year. I haven't had surgery yet but will be soon. I will be thinking about you and hope you post some updates so we all know how you are doing.

I'm sure you will be a great success!!!

Take care and keep smiling,

Sue

Thanks for the great tips lunarose and Roseib. I'm on day 2 pre op and all going pretty well so far, bar the headache and slight nausea. It'll all be so worth it in the end. Thank u all so.much for welcoming me and offering your kind words of support. You guys have seriously changed how I'm feeling about the op. I'm now starting to get really excited about it all. This really is a chance for me to get my life back and stop sitting on the sidelines watching it all pass me by. I'm so glad I've finally faced the reality of my weight problem and am doing something positive to change it.

All of you waiting on surgery, I wish you the very best of luck. I hope we can help and encourage each other along the way. And to all post op, congrats on your amazing bravery and I wish you all continued success.

love Emma x

Emma, I wish this had been available when I was your age I am a little jealous of all the doors that will open for you.

Nancy

we all have our fears; understandably. but to hopefully re-assure you, a close friend of mine had the sleeve procedure a year ago August. her surgery date weight was 433 and she is now 270. she had many pre-surgery issues: diabetic, high blood pressure and edema to name a few. some meds have been cut or she's not taking any of some of them.

i say the decision is up to you which month you have surgery. and only your doctor, basically , has the last decision if the surgery is right for you at this time.

as for your cpap, be sure to use it every single night.

Hi all,

I'm brand new to this forum but have been looking for somewhere like this for a long time. My names Emma and I'm 23 years old, from Ireland.

I've been reading through all of your posts and just want to say congratulations to everyone on such amazing weight loss results.

I myself am booked in to have a gastric sleeve done on the 22nd of this month. I have all pre op testing done and passed everything with flying colors, except for my sleep study which revealed sleep apnea so I am using a CPAP machine for that. Basically I came here just looking for advice and support. I am terrified that something will go wrong during my surgery because I am so big. I am starting my pre op diet tomorrow so hopefully should have lost 20 pounds by my surgery date.

Are there any members out there who were as big as me and have a success story to share? I guess I am just really looking for reassurance because I'm suddenly filled with doubts since getting my surgery date yesterday.

Anyway thanks everybody for reading, I hope I get to know more about you all on this site.

Love Emma

Hi Emma!! You are in the right place!!! You will do great!!! You are soo young! That is a great advantage!! I just started my pre-op too! My surgery is Friday! I'm nervous & excited! There are soo many people on here that have such great success stories! I know you will be one too!!! Glad your here!!! :)

Emma! I think it's so great that you're taking control and getting this done at an early age, instead of wasting years and years with all the "someday" stuff most of us have gone back and forth with. That's awesome. :D

I so totally agree with this!

Hey Emma,

I'm also 23, and totally freaked! My surgery is 2 weeks from today and I've started my pre-op diet. It can be scary especially if you're like me and you've never had surgery before-- I'm really scared of the anesthesia. Just try to focus on the wonderful, exciting aspects of the surgery... think of all the lovely things it will enable you to do, and forget about the scary stuff!

These forums definitely help too, please stick around, we need eachother :)

we all have our fears; understandably. but to hopefully re-assure you, a close friend of mine had the sleeve procedure a year ago August. her surgery date weight was 433 and she is now 270. she had many pre-surgery issues: diabetic, high blood pressure and edema to name a few. some meds have been cut or she's not taking any of some of them.

i say the decision is up to you which month you have surgery. and only your doctor, basically , has the last decision if the surgery is right for you at this time.

as for your cpap, be sure to use it every single night.

Thanks for that info blaqbeary. I'm glad your friend is doing so well since surgery. My cpap is very annoying but am being very vigilant and very it every night. I find it very hard to get comfy with it on but hopefully it isn't long term and my safety is worth being uncomfy for.

A little update for everyone. My pre op is going ok. Very light headed and nauseous but otherwise I feel fine. The head hunger is the worst part of it but I'm feeling good and positive about the end result.

Thanks everyone for your ongoing info and support.

X Emma

I so totally agree with this!

Hey Emma,

I'm also 23, and totally freaked! My surgery is 2 weeks from today and I've started my pre-op diet. It can be scary especially if you're like me and you've never had surgery before-- I'm really scared of the anesthesia. Just try to focus on the wonderful, exciting aspects of the surgery... think of all the lovely things it will enable you to do, and forget about the scary stuff!

These forums definitely help too, please stick around, we need eachother :thumbup1:

Hi!

It's so great to hear from someone my age and who hasn't had surgery yet. This place is really great for meeting people who are in the same place as u.

How are u feeling about your surgery? I'm getting excited now I must admit.

Keep me updated on ur progress.

X Emma

Thank you for the kind thoughts Emma! Hang in there! We will make the journey around the same time. With the liquid diet if your surgeon allows it - Soup from a Chinese restaurant is amazing after 8+ days of just Protein drinks. hehe. :confused1: Make sure to strain it, some restaurants will do it for you.

Wishing you the best possible!

Papillon

Hi roseib, must admit the pre op diet is so tough. I felt like crap for two days. Would have killed somebody for a bowl of mashed potato. All I want is carbs but I know it'll all be worth it in the end. Can't wait for surgery. It can't come quick enough.

Xx Emma

Hi roseib, must admit the pre op diet is so tough. I felt like crap for two days. Would have killed somebody for a bowl of mashed potato. All I want is carbs but I know it'll all be worth it in the end. Can't wait for surgery. It can't come quick enough.

Xx Emma

Glad to hear it is going well. Your cravings are typical. I was lucky I could have a palm sized amount of lean Protein and veggies for dinner. I still lost 19 lbs in two weeks and apparently my liver was ok for surgery since it went fine. The good mews is that after surgery you won't be hungry so the postop liquid diet is a snap! Hang in there.