Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Half Way to Goal

I can hardly believe it, but here I am about 7 1/2 weeks from my surgery on July 13th and I am just about half way to my goal of losing 125 lbs. Overall, it has been a relatively smooth journey, although there have been some difficult moments along the way. Last week, I took my kids on vacation and it was a real challenge to figure out what I could eat and timing it correctly. The trip involved driving about 2000 miles round trip, so eating on the road proved to be a bit of a challenge also.

I think the biggest challenge for me has been dealing with the emotional aspects of not eating all the things I want to when I want to. Although I understand intellectually that this is how I ended up here in the first place (duh?), I don't think I had realized how much of a "friend" food had become in my life and how much I would miss it. This has probably been even more true since my wife died and I've had to cope with all of those emotional issues. So, in some ways, giving up my old eating habits has been another loss with which I have had to deal and that has been a little harder to cope with than I expected.

The good news is that everyday someone new notices that I've lost weight and tells me that I look great and I feel terrific about that. I need to be better about monitoring my Protein intake and taking my Vitamins, but I am working on that too.

If there is someone out there reading this, looking for guidance as to whether or not to have the VSG, I would unequivocally say "Go for it!"

Peace,

Brian

Brian, your posts are always so open and heartfelt. I always shed a little tear... lol. I can just feel what a kind person you are.

Anyway, I can relate. food was a friend... a best friend... always there no matter what... even when someone dies. In SOME ways this loss is even more difficult because it is the thing that helps you cope with every other loss, every other situation, well everything! But I know you are putting in the work... and you WILL get to the point where you don't think about food like that anymore. I honestly feel like I have for the most part... and I never, NEVER thought I would be able to say that.

I also had to smile because I came on here specifically to post about being half way to goal :P Lol.... so that's awesome :) Congrats friend.

Brian, as I ramp up toward my surgery later in the year, I'm encouraged to read of your success thus far. We have similar numbers, so you've given me something to look forward to. Congratulations on things to this point, and here's hoping the rest of your weight loss is just as uneventful. Good luck!

Dave

I'm glad to hear you are doing well. I was about to send you another PM to check on ya.

I hated my Vitamins so my doctor told me to take the "kiddy vitamins". So I am eating two Fred Flintstones per day. I haven't had a chance to look at the individual Vitamin amounts but I heard somewhere along the way that 2 Freds are good enough. Every now and then I get a Barney but I give him to the kiddo. lol.

Glad to hear you got to go on vacation. Sorry it was stressful with the food. Have you thought about having a "Daddy's Only Yummy Cooler"? Basically a 6 pack cooler with ice or the compress stuff to keep it cold and pre-make some rolled up different types and combinations of meat and cheeses and other high Protein Snacks. So that when you do find something you "want" you can perhaps get the kids to share it as a group with you getting a bite or two and that satisfy you. Because with kids they will scarf it down and it's gone almost to the bare wooden table as you know. :cursing:

Take care and keep in touch!

Dave - Thanks for the words of support. Good luck to you as you prepare for the journey. Please feel free to pm me if you have any questions or need any support for yourself. It hasn't been a complete walk in the park, but I have no regrets.

Carrie - Where were you with that suggestion before my trip. I did end up doing something like that for the trip home and it helped. Thank God for Greek yogurt!

Brian