Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When will my hair stop falling out??

I am 4 months out and started losing hair a month ago too, I just went yesterday and got it bobbed off about 4 inches, now trying to comb it to cover thin spots, hope it stops after 3 months like Tiffy said.. if not I will be buying a wig.

I started losing at 2 months postop. I'm now approaching my 5 month, and still losing it. Don't think I can take much more loss of hair, but my Dr. reassures me that by the end of 6 months, it will stop falling out. Sometimes when I take a shower, (you know how you feel Water dripping down your back?) I feel hair falling down my back. Scarey feeling. But I love the weight loss. So have decided to just acknowledge this as just part of the journey.:)

I am dreading this side effect. If there is one thing I have always had going for me it was my hair and I just grew it out to the middle of my back. I lost a ton of hair after the birth of both of my boys, but my youngest is 9 so the hair has recovered. I really really really hope that I dodge this but I am thinking if I lost it so bad after giving birth and losing the baby weight that it will be the same for this.

GRRRR

I cant even run my fingers through my hair without clumps coming out. It is a very scary feeling. I lose hair all day long its all over me, my car, my shower. I do hope it stops soon or I will be bald...:P

I'm dreading the Hair loss too, I have very thin hair, and not too much of it either. I usually use it quite short (just below the ears) I'm letting it grow now so that I don't have to wash it and style it every day, any tips from those of you who already went throgh this? (I'm 5 weeks out, haven't updated ticker because I haven't weight myself for the last 3 weeks)

Hello,

I have noticed my hair thinning already and I am 9 weeks post op... it is scary as my hair is fine as it is... a couple of years ago it happened but for reasons unknown! I personally think it was a combination of stress at work and hormones...

I have read in places that with WLS your hormones go a little 'wild' so perhaps this is one of the causes of hair loss... thankfully it is temporary thing!

My hair was already thin from PCOS, I am 7 weeks out and just this morning in the shower I realized that there was hair in my hands after running them through my hair while rinsing out conditioner.

Is there nothing we can do to prevent this? To be perfectly frank, it is the thin hair that always "gives away" wls folks that I have heretofor spotted. If I wear a kerchief people will think I have cancer! If I wear a wig, it would be super super obvious, unless I start incorporating wigs and pieces before the thinning gets noticeable ... hmm, maybe that's what I will have to do. But it's really hot here, a wig would be miserable. I'm taking coq10 Vitamins and trying to keep my Protein intake high, is there anything else we can do?:lol0::)

If you run your fingers over your scalp under your hair do you feel any little spikey hairs yet. This happened to me when my hair finally started to regrow and now it is back to normal. this started at around 5 months I think, so try not to worry too much.

Jane x

Hiya Jane,

Phew... I can certainly feel little spikes, so hopefully they will grow as the rest leave home...lol... having a hair cut wed and will ask my hairdresser what she recommends... i don't mind fine if i can disguise it... bald just freaks me out though!!

There isn't really anything we can do to stop it. It's pretty common after a traumatic surgery, and/or major weight loss/dietary changes.

Here's an article that explains it.

Telogen Effluvium: eMedicine Dermatology

You can use various hair growth products. Folicure Extra care Shampoo really helped my hair as I had new growth coming in before the shedding stopped. I never took Biotin or any other pill form supplement to help. I massaged my scalp, cut way back on heat processing, air dried my hair, and used little to zero hair products during that time. I used Nexxus Dualiste anti-breakage shampoo and conditioner in conjunction with the Folicure shampoo because it can dry out your hair.

I know it's disheartening, and frustrating. I was extremely sad about my hair, but it is temporary, and hair grows back. I have tons of new growth, and I just got creative to make the loss not so apparent. I had tons of hair, gorgeous wavy, thick, coarse hair pre-sleeve. Now, it's quite a bit thinner, and fine, but I'll deal with it to be wearing a size 0-4 depending on the brand of jeans I buy. I figure my ass looks way better now so I don't have to focus so much on my hair.

I'm really worried too about hair loss. My hair is very fine and thin and you can already see my scalp on the top of my head and I am forever trying to do my hair so that it doesn't show as much. If I lose any hair at all I will definitely have bald spots. I guess I'd better start shopping for a good quality wig right now. . .

Any suggestions on where to find good natural looking wigs?

My hair is everywhere too! My husband hates it cause it gets all over him and if I'm not careful it will drop in his dinner. If I run my hands through it I will have like 20 long hairs in my hand. I used to have really thick long curly hair. I already have a spot right at the front of my head where my bangs part that is getting really thin. If it lasts 3 months I may be bald :)