Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Being a "Public Figure" should I be proactive or reactive in telling people?

Maybe someone can help me with this. Becasue of my profession, I am pretty well know where I live. I am not trying to sound concieted or cockey or anything like that, but a whole lot of people know who I am and have for several years. It is obvious that I am bigger that the obvious person. :frown1:

When I start losing weight, I will be doing so in the public eye where tens of thousands of people will see me every week.

I was thinking of having my journey documented and then shown a few weeks after surgery before the questions start coming about what I am doing. Now what if I go that route and the weight loss does not happen as it should? In your opinion would that be worse than answering the question "How are you losing weight" countless times.

Sorry about being so vague, but I do not know who is reading these boards and I do not want to reveal my idenity right now, but I eventually will. Don't worry, in the end you will be like "Oh it's only you,big deal!" :biggrin2:

Has anyone had an experience similar to mine? Thanks!

Is it possible to have a website set up where you can refer inquiries to (like a journey blog) once it becomes NOTICEABLE that you're losing weight rather quickly?

Just a thought since I'm not one to 'jump the gun' until I'm confident things are going as planned. lol

Welcome to the board. I just joined as well. :)

april

I think being in the public eye is a great opportunity to be an advocate for the VSG! I've never thought it to be something we should be ashamed of. On the contrary, people's reactions seem to be more of curiousity and acceptance that we are taking action in our lives and making a courageous decision to improve our health. I don't think you have to worry about documenting your journey and not losing weight...you WILL lose weight! Anyway, it seems that when celebrities lose a lot of weight now, everyone just assumes they had some sort of surgery even if they aren't public about it. It's so much more accepted now than it used to be. I say go for it and be proud of yourself that you're doing it and let the public see that you are positive about it.

I think you should consider being out and proud about it. But I would wait until you were happy and confident about the final outcome as you don't want to give yourself any additional stress in the first month or two.

Jane x

I think it depends on what kind of public figure you are. If you are in politics/news reporting, be open about it and make it a way to draw attention to your work and to VSG. Shout it from the rooftops, and use the media to educate people. The website is a great idea.

There are those of us who are "in the public eye" without being in the media. For example, I am a university professor in a small town. I can't go anywhere without faculty, former students, students and community members knowing me. It would simply be too big of a job to try and educate all those people about WLS and deal with all their judgments, so I decided to keep it quiet. Because my weight loss is 2-3lbs a week, no one has noticed. I've let it be known that I'm on a diet, but that's it. I don't want to spend my life defending my decision.

Whatever your situation, think about what you will have to deal with if you "come out" as a WLS patient. Good luck!

As a "seasoned professional" in regards to WLS (lap-band 2006, VSG 2010), I can spot others who've had similiar procedures a mile away. There are a few celebrities out there right now that are suddenly very slim and are only admitting to diet and exercise. I certainly don't know for sure that they've had extra "help" in the way of WLS, but they just have that look to them that I've come to recognize that means they most likely have.

I know everyone, whether in the public eye or not, has to make the decision of who to let in that "inner circle of trust" about what we've done to lose the weight and deal with the criticism or support that follows. It's just that most of us don't have thousands of people who would ever know or care. If you feel that it would benefit others to know what you've done to help yourself become more healthy, then by all means be honest. I think it's unfair myself for a public figure to say they are only "eating smart" and exercising and losing massive amounts of weight if they've also had WLS as an adjunct tool. I think they could be an advocate and show people that they shouldn't feel ashamed to get help if it will lead them to becoming more healthy.

But that's easy for me to say - I'm not in your shoes! Best of luck with whatever decision you make.

My personal opinion is to just wait it out. I only say this because I have been there done that. I wish so bad now I hadn't told anyone and everyone. Now I'm having to explain things I really don't want to.

You will have to explain yourself all the time. Good times and bad times. If things aren't going that good for you, you are already going to feel down about it, not to mention having to talk about it all the time - that really does make it worse.

If and when you hit goal then feel free to open up about it, until then keep it to yourself. This is going to be stressful enough without all the heckling, bombardment of questions and whatnot. You will need as much civility and focus as possible during this time. Only tell those that really need to know.

There will come a day when you can open up about it, until then I'd say just follow your own journey - keep it your own.

:D

Great advice everyone! I will tell you that I work in professional sports, but I am not one of the athletes, but in my position, I am seen by everyone at the ballpark and I am very often on the video board and things like that. I am on the team's website and have also done a few local commercials and TV/Radio spots.

Please keep the replies coming.

Awesome!! :)

I'm a huge sports fan and I'm sure I'd know who you are.

Good luck with your final decision! It's ultimately your call - and I think all of the suggestions have been good ones.

I agree, I'm not sure I'd want to explain the good, the bad, and the ugly with so many folks. You are still learning your new and improved body yourself. Then once you do lose the weight (and yes, you will!) then instead of beating you down for getting healthy for yourself, the team and your family they should be a "fan" if you will, if not @#$@ them. :)

As a public figure it's important to maintain your integrity. So lying like Star Jones did, can come back and bite you in the butt.

I don't suggest telling them before hand. That is your business and your decision. You don't need everyone and their dog telling you if you should or shouldn't do this.

When the weight starts to come off, then I would let the news out. Be proud that you have made a choice to be a healthier you.

That's my 2 cents. Best of luck to you.

It is up to you. I am a professional opera singer; I have decided to keep it quiet. If I decide to tell people it will be my choice at the moment. Personally, I do not think you have to tell anyone.

I'm thinking, as Maddie said, your credibility and popularity as a sports whatever will be damaged if people admire your weight loss and then learn much later you had weight loss surgery. WE know you have to work hard at it despite surgery, but other people don't. What an opportunity to educate the public that surgery is a good option for many, just a tool not a magic bullet, and that MEN need to be concerned about their health and take action. We all know stats show men less likely to get health care and take care of health problems than women. You seem to be in a unique position to do some great education and role modeling.

But, of course, as everyone else has said, you have to decide what's right for you. You are so much more of a public figure than I. I teach at a small university in a large city, so I'm not in Donna's position, but I've told a number of people about my weight loss surgery. I'm sure with the active grapevine on this campus, everyone knows --including the students.

I decided to tell people to keep myself motivated. I've gotten lots of support and no negative reactions. In fact, when I told the Executive Vice-President last week, he didn't even know the university benefits policy is NOT to pay for WLS. Hopefully he'll try to change the policy. Wish I'd mentioned it before I paid. I thought the top administrators knew.

I work in advertising and have a lot of clients, and I know that they will be wanting to know where my weight is going when it really starts to show. It's natural to question a considerable amount of weight loss. I would do the surgery and after a month or so, you should see how it's going and do a blog about it somewhere and keep records of your weight loss, then when you're ready, tell people. You may encourage thousands of people to get off their butts and do it too. Plus you don't want the rumors to fly about what's going on, you know "did you hear so and so is dying from some rare disease, or hey did you hear so and so went to Europe and had some experimental surgery that they've only performed on monkeys?" You know how rumors fly when your in the eyes of the media....you need to be sure you have control over those rumors for the well being of you and your family. Keep us posted on your decision.

I agree with the suggestions of getting it done, documenting it somewhere and when people start to notice and ask questions, then make an announcement, and forward people to the site where you have documented so far. This way any naysayers will be shut down prior to surgery, and once you have lost enough to notice, people will be less likely to outright be negative. In the process, being in the public eye, you will inspire others who are perhaps on the fence about losing the extra pounds through surgery or dieting.

Whatever you choose, make the best choice for yourself and your family.

Also, congrats on deciding to make a choice that will only improve your life!