Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All, Newbie here

Hello, I have been lurking here for a while and reading and reading.

In July I went down to take care of my daughter and grandbabies after she had gastric bypass. She had no complications, I was a bit shocked to see how much pain she was in the first week. Her biggest struggle however was breaking up with food and trying to get her protien down.

Which leads me to the first of many questions I have.

I am looking at the sleeve for myself and I read how people are having trouble with getting the protien down before their surgery. I understand afterwards but I am confused why it is a problem before and why would you need to?

I had my initial consulation on August 9th and I am physically approved by my insurance and I just went for the pysch eval and the doctor said she seen no reason why she would not recommend me for the surgery.

So now I wait to see what else the insurance company will want from me.

I have to tell you I was all gun ho (sp?) until I read the complications section and I have to tell you I have been a bundle of nerves since I read it, not sure any longer if I should.

I fear the leak and the possiblity of a long recovery. (fear of complictions, fear of finacial problems from it, dying)

Thank you all for ahead of time for letting me state my concerns, feeback is more than welcom.

hi,

welcome, you want to make sure you are as well nourished before surgery as possible including consuming good quality Protein, you can get this with chix, fish, etc and a multi-Vitamin, deficiencies in certain nutrients/vitamins will interfer with recovery, all surgery has the potential for complications, you have to weigh your pros and cons, you have to know your physical well being too, is there something that makes you a high risk for a certain surgery etc. what is worse, living with morbid obesity or the complications if they arise, that is the only question. no one can make this decision but you....

Edited by mila1013

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches