Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 6'4", 340lb, and denied by insurance because of the 1 year doctor-supervised exercise and diet plan. I have HBP, but other than that things are pretty good.

I had originally intended to do the band. In talking with a few people, I found that a neighbor had a VSG and has done great since then. I also know someone else who had a band around the same time and they're not doing so well.

When I told my Dr. self-pay, they steered me towards VSG instead of the band for all the regular reasons (nothing left behind, no fills, etc. etc.). I was originally scheduled for mid-Sept 2010, but a work conflict came up and I had to reschedule. While at the Drs office rescheduling, they said pushing it back would take a month or more, but they could move it forward a couple of weeks, so 08/31/2010 is my surgery date. That day was exactly 1 week before the surgery, so they said "you're officially on clear liquid diet as of right now".

It was quite a surprise... but I can't complain. I was hoping to have one last "favorite meal" or even "one last swig of a diet soda". I got to skip all of the pre-clear-liquid-diet anxiety (it hadn't started yet)!

3 days into the liquid diet and it hasn't been that bad. I wish I would have tried some Protein shakes before-hand. The first one I had I almost sicked-up. It tasted great, but I think my body went into Protein overload... I cut the serving-size in half, used Water instead of skim milk, and my next shake was a little more pleasant. I've never "drank" my calories, so Crystal Lite works well for me. Hate the Jello, but it works, and SF popsicles aren't that bad. chicken broth is good, and I got the thumbs-up from my Dr to have Miso Soup (sans anything chunky in it).

Today's almost over - so I've got 3 more days to weather the "clear liquid diet storm".

Wish me luck!

That's awesome. That sure does cut down on the anxiety. Good luck and God bless you. Please keep us posted.

AniO

Sounds like it's all working out perfectly. I gained on my "one last" since it was one of just about everything.

Good Luck!

wish you much much luck...

wow, that don't even give you enough time to get nervous about it. lol I wish something like that would happen to me. I have 89 days to sit here and think about things, and get nervous, excited, but nervous. Good luck, and keep us posted you will be in my thoughts and prayers. Ps I think you made the right choice instead of the band.

You will do fine. I am 2 days out and home. A bit sore but the key is to move through the soreness as much as possible and not lay down. Make sure you get your Protein throughout the day because that's what is going to keep you full and give you fuel throughout the day.

I had the lap band and had it taken out when I had my surgery 2 days ago. I wouldn't wish the lap band on anyone. In fact someone posted that we should put Lap Bands on the guys at Guant?namo Bay and it would be cruel and unusual punishment. lol

I wish you the best of luck. What type of support system do you have? My husband has been awesome and he too will go with the VSG once our insurance figures out how much better it is than the band. Of course this forum is a great place to find people who have been there and can help you get through it as well.

Take care!

Nice surprise!

Most peoples tastes change after surgery, so trying Protein drinks before may have only made you spend money now on something you won't like later.

Best of luck.

Day 5 of the clear liquid diet done! Days 1-3 weren't that bad, but on Day 4 I "bonked". Just completely ran out of energy about half-way through the day - although that's probably my fault. I didn't have any Protein shakes days 1 and 2, and on day 3 & 4 I only had one small serving. I've upped that to the recommended serving today and feel a little better.

One more day of the Clear liquids and then it will be surgery day!

I've lost about 15lb on the clear liquid diet so far. Well, the starting weight was middle-of-the-day, fully clothed, and all my other weigh-ins are at home first thing in the morning. Is that normal?

@educationrulz: no diet sodas, no caffeine, no carbonation, and really no sugar either. It seems to be a bit more strict than some of the other clear liquid diets that others have had. It's essentially broths, sugar-free drinks (crystal lite, propels), sf popsicles, and Protein Shakes (at least they can be mixed with 1%/skim milk, and not necessarily clear).

@Carrie: I have a great support system. My wife is an avid runner and she's completely behind me. From the co-worker standpoint, there's really only one guy I work with on a regular basis (I work from home for the most part) and he's completely supportive as well.

Thanks all!

that's great, so happy that you chose the right procedure. i was lucky like you too, the day i found out i won my appeal was exactly two weeks before they scheduled me. I found out on a friday and was supposed to start my two week liquid diet but i had last suppers and started it that monday, still lost 18 lbs, remember to walk right away, walk sip rest and repeat, you're gonna love your sleeve jeani