Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I ever be able to eat pizza again?

I couldn't wait to have pizza again. We tried it last week. I was so grossed out. I couldn't even swallow it. The grease from the cheese and meat was disgusting to me. I think after the pre-op diet and eating so healthy now for 3 months, my tastes have changed in a good way. I am so thankful.

I have been thinking about these types of foods also. I could barely finish 5 bites of enchilada Soup from Chilli's the other night and it brought up all sorts of things I wonder if I will ever be able to have.

I was known as the donut queen at work. I LOVE DONUTS. Maple bars and maple topped buttermilk donuts are like my crack lol. I wonder if I will ever be able to have a small donut.

I also have been craving this greasy hamburger stand that has the best burgers and these seasoned fries to die for. I know it is all in my head I don't ever want to pig out on them again but I would like to be able to eat a half a small hamburger and a handful of fries on occasion.

For right now I just lower my head in defeat and eat my cottage cheese and creamed Soups and suck it up. LOL.

I have been thinking about these types of foods also. I could barely finish 5 bites of enchilada Soup from Chilli's the other night and it brought up all sorts of things I wonder if I will ever be able to have.

I was known as the donut queen at work. I LOVE DONUTS. Maple bars and maple topped buttermilk donuts are like my crack lol. I wonder if I will ever be able to have a small donut.

I also have been craving this greasy hamburger stand that has the best burgers and these seasoned fries to die for. I know it is all in my head I don't ever want to pig out on them again but I would like to be able to eat a half a small hamburger and a handful of fries on occasion.

For right now I just lower my head in defeat and eat my cottage cheese and creamed Soups and suck it up. LOL.

Hamburger not a chance, a bite of Hamburger at least once a month. :)

You will be able to eat what you want when you are farther out from surgery. There is nothing now that I can't eat. I occasionally do eat a cheese burger with the bun, and I can eat about half of one.

Hmmm...I am going to come at this question from a bit of a different perspective. This is a life-altering surgery which will forever affect the choices you make. This "tool" you are receiving, alone, will not do the trick. Trust me, after two years, one slice becomes 2 and 2 becomes three, easily. Do you want to go down that road again? Please use this honeymood period where you don't have hunger to start to change your eating habits. I am not saying, "no pizza ever again!" I would suggest you learn alternate ways to satisfy that craving. Learn to cook healthy alternatives, like broiled eggplant with a dollop of red sauce and perhaps some mozzarella melted down on top. There are recipes for crustless pizza also. I even heard of one recipe where they used finely ground, cooked cauilflower for a crust.

In short, yes, you WILL be able to eat pizza soon enough. But if it's going to be a huge carb trigger for you, please be careful. It is too easy to eat our way right out of this surgery if we go back to our old habits.

Hope that did not sound too hoity-toity, lol. I'm just trying to be honest.

Good luck! :)

Thanks Karen, sounds like good advice to me.

Jane x

Someone (sorry can't remember who) posted a recipe for "Meatza" under the recipe threads. Sounded really good as a pizza alternative, but haven't made it yet. One uses extra lean ground beef/ground turkey for the "crust". Then you fill it with pizza fixins. I think she said to put the meat under the broiler to make it nice and crispy and more crust-like. Of course Karen's suggestion of broiled eggplant even more healthy. Speaking of using cauliflower for a crust, I have seen a recipe for using cauliflower as a substitute for mashed potatoes.

yes,, i just had 3/4 of a piece for lunch today. no prolblem.. it gives you the yummy taste without over indulging.. its great!

I'm definitely going to try the pizza alternatives, that's probably what I will do for regular pizza cravings. I've never been a 2 or 3 slice girl. Usually a slice and a half, maybe 2 if I was really hungry. So I guess a half a slice once in a while won't hurt, once I'm a few months out, that is. And like Jane said, once I try it, I may not like it anymore.

AniO