Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Poll: To tell or not to tell co-workers

Hi everyone, I just need a quick consensus here. I work for a small company with what I would say is a 'mature' staff. (i.e. most everyone is over 50) People are starting to comment on my weight loss and are being supportive but, they don't know I had surgery. They just think I went on vacation........ Some, have an inkling something was up because I had some pre-operative testing I missed work time for and maybe some caught snatches of phone conversations, etc. Also, it's no secret I gave up smoking, drinking, coffee and birthday cake. ;)

Anyway, from my reading here so far, it seems better not to say anything. I think this crowd might think what I did was too drastic or I'm lazy and took the easy way out because I couldn't do it on my own. I don't want to deal with the negative comments. I just want to bask in the joy. But, I also don't want to lie if pressed for more detail.

Thoughts?.............

while reading on here it seems better not to tell co workers it seems thats alot of people are getting negative reactions. Me on the other hand have told just about everyone at that would listen to me (and wound up finding other people who are getting it done or want to get it done) and have gotten very little negative feedback. Or maybe I am getting negative feedback and I am just not registering it cuz i dont want to hear it!!!

Nobody at my workplace has even mentioned my weight loss, much less asked about surgery! LOL If and when it comes up, I have decided that I will not lie if asked a direct question about surgery, but I will not volunteer the information. If somebody asks, "What are you doing?" and I say "I've drastically reduced my portion sizes and am working with a personal trainer," I've told the truth even though I haven't volunteered the fact that I've also had surgery. If somebody asks "Did you have gastric bypass?" and I say "No," that's also the truth, although at that point I may or may not clarify that I had a different surgery, depending on who's asking. If somebody asks, "Did you have weight loss surgery?" I will either say "yes," or I will smile and say "That's a very personal question and I don't want to get into it."

Just a post script. I have worked with most of these people for dang near 20 years so, we are like family. They have definitely seen my weight go up and down over the years. It's just going to get dicey if, no when, I get down below what anyone has seen in those 20 years. Their going to think I'm sick! And, not is a good way. ;)

I told everyone at my job. You have to understand I have worked with most of these peeps for ten years, so really we are like a family. Everyone that I know of was very supportive of me. As a matter of fact two people went on the pre op diet with me as a sign of solidarity. Another started her own diet program. I think I'm kinda a guinea pig. LOL. They're just waiting to see if this works for me they might get it done too. So far I have had awesome support from family and friends. It is a very personal choice to tell or not. I have not regretted it..... yet. Fingers crossed.

Deb

I told the people at my work after I had it done. It was hard enough to keep it under wraps that I was going for surgery. I work with lots of nosy women! They wanted to know all about my vacation plans, etc. So when I got back, I wanted to tell a few people, but I also know how things get around, and I thought I'd rather have people talking to me about it rather than behind my back or talking about it. Everyone has been very supportive about it, and I'm glad I told them. They will help me be accountable, as well, so that's nice to have also.

I have told a select few coworkers of my plans. I'm scheduled for next Friday, and if everything goes well, I will tell other coworkers if they notice my weight loss. I just didn't want to tell everyone before because of all the negativity I've gotten from the few I've told. I agree that it is a personal choice.

My boss knows I'm planning this, because of the mass amount of doctor's appts. Other than that, I'm just saying "Atkins did it".

I chose not to tell, because when you do you'll have the same conversation 'why'..... and for those that don't understand it'll get harder and harder.....

I still get the 'why do you want to loose more' question.... and they don't even know about the op....I don't think I could face the great surgery debate with everyone as well, some things, for me are best just kept private.

Hi. I have told all of my co-workers. I've been at my present job 3 years. I started talking about it from day one when I had committed myself to the surgery. All of them have been and continue to be super supportive. No one ever asked why or accused me of taking the easy way out. When my last day of work before surgery came, they all gave me their best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery. Secretly they really want me back in the office fast. :lol0: I found it best telling them so when I started looking different I wasn't playing twenty questions. Most of my co-workers are excited to watch the transition of me. :001_smile: It is in one way kind of embarrassing, but good to know they are on my side for a healthier me.

I would not say anything, negative comments can appear when you thought they would be supportive. it really is no one's business what or how you do, furthermore in actuality you will be eating less, healthier and exercising more, other details are not necessary. nope, no coworkers, managers no one will know....

Hey guys. Like Doug said, the boss had to know because of the amount of doctor's appointments. They have been very supportive and later stated: "It's nobody's business but yours." One co-worker/friend is my support buddy and is keeping the secret. I needed her help getting to appointments where I could not drive myself so she had to take time off work as well. And, I agree with SParkle, I have no interest in justifying my decision or explaining the details of surgery over and over again. So, my decision for now is to remain silent; keep 'em guessing.............

I lucked out and a lady in my office had the gastric bypass a couple of years ago. All my co-workers have been supportive, and my two bosses have been wonderful. I am very lucky to be working with a wonderful (most of the time, lol ) group of people. I think this choice will be different for each person. I mean really depends some people can work in a not so friendly atmospere. Like if I was still working for my last attorney, I would not of said anything to him, because he was a horses butt, and that is putting it nicely. Which every you decide just know we support you either way.

While planning my procedure, I only told a couple of my closest friends and family members. I did not want to hear the old "cut back and excercise" story from people that didn't know what they were talking about. Now that I have had the surgery, I tell everyone. I don't care what they think and hope to inspire someone else to get healthier. All I have had is positive feedback and everyone is excited about my success.