Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When do you take your PPI?

I was on 2 nexium a day, and my Dr wants me to cut down to one a day and then eventually none.... I've searched out another thread about stopping them, but just wondered for those on one PPI a day - what time of day do you take yours?

I've tried evening and morning, but still get quite a bit of acid.....so don't know if it'll really make much difference when I take it. I've also stocked up on anti acids/Gaviscon to take when the burn is really bad. :001_tt2:

I only take mine once a day (usually in the morning)sometimes I forget though and take it at any time, and some days forget to take it all together and I'm still ok

I only take mine once a day (usually in the morning)sometimes I forget though and take it at any time, and some days forget to take it all together and I'm still ok

Hi Chilo,

Thats why I have been leaning towards taking it in the morning, as otherwise I forget! :001_tt2:

Can't really work out if I produce more stomach acid at night when not eating /drinking, or during the day......I get the burn from it at any time, and have only had acid reflux in my mouth once, thank goodness!!

One of the doctors I work with told me it should be taken 30 minutes prior to eating. The proton pumps are inhibited (obviously) and that's what the mechanism of action is with these drugs. The proton pumps are only active when you eat something, according to him. So, if you take it in the evening, and then don't eat anything, there are no active proton pumps to inhibit. That's why, at our hospital, these drugs are ordered 30 minutes prior to Breakfast for every single patient, rather than being at the normal "morning pill" time. He told me this totally randomly about a patient I was caring for about 2 weeks prior to my surgery. (Nearly every single patient in our hospital is on a PPI, so I'm not sure why this was the first I had heard of this, but it was). I have just carried it with me because I knew I'd be taking one post-op. I still take mine twice a day, and I try to do it before meals, but it doesn't always work out that way.

Everyone is different, but if I don't take mine at bedtime, I wake up several times with the burning.

I was on 2 nexium a day, and my Dr wants me to cut down to one a day and then eventually none.... I've searched out another thread about stopping them, but just wondered for those on one PPI a day - what time of day do you take yours?

I've tried evening and morning, but still get quite a bit of acid.....so don't know if it'll really make much difference when I take it. I've also stocked up on anti acids/Gaviscon to take when the burn is really bad. :thumbup:

Why is your doc trying to cut your PPIs when you're still struggling with acid so much?

My docs office tried to switch me to Pepcid, which is not a PPI, and I was miserable after 4 days. Instead of continuing to fight to get a prescription for Prevacid I just went and bought some more over the counter. Luckily, after describing my experience with the Pepcid to them at my followup, I finally got my script for Previcid. I never had real reflux before surgery and after my experience with it on the Pepcid, I'll gladly take the PPI to prevent it. That acid in the throat is just GROSS! :lol0:

By the way, I take mine in the AM as soon as I get out of bed. It's easy to wait 30 minutes before I eat because I hop right into the shower and start getting dressed for work. On weekends, I just wait out the 30 minutes without much thought. I haven't had the night time reflux issues.

I have to take mine in first thing in the morning. I pop it, wait an hour and then eat. I've never had any issues doing this way for the last 15 months. I've only had breakthrough heartburn after eating a bunch of jalapenos, and some chipolte ranch dressing with greasy Mexican food.< /span>

Why is your doc trying to cut your PPIs when you're still struggling with acid so much?

My docs office tried to switch me to Pepcid, which is not a PPI, and I was miserable after 4 days. Instead of continuing to fight to get a prescription for Prevacid I just went and bought some more over the counter. Luckily, after describing my experience with the Pepcid to them at my followup, I finally got my script for Previcid. I never had real reflux before surgery and after my experience with it on the Pepcid, I'll gladly take the PPI to prevent it. That acid in the throat is just GROSS! :thumbup1:

By the way, I take mine in the AM as soon as I get out of bed. It's easy to wait 30 minutes before I eat because I hop right into the shower and start getting dressed for work. On weekends, I just wait out the 30 minutes without much thought. I haven't had the night time reflux issues.

He didn't want me on it long term... at my one month check up prior to that he said take 2 a day for the first month, then one a day... but as i was still getting acid he said take 2 a day for another month, then one a day and see how I get on. After another month then as and when I need it, max one a day.

I have a check up in about a weeks time so will review it with him. But I have to pay for the Nexium, and they're not cheap!! So its in my interest to try and wean myself off as soon as the time is right.

i take mine first thing in the morning, never had reflux except the first day post op and when the doctor came to see me he told me i didn't need a ppi and that i couldn't have acid because i hadn't eaten anything. "Really:?" i've never heard that the stomach only makes acid when you eat? anyway he wouldn't give me a script so i buy otc generic prilosec all very interesting.

I'm a nurse and in the hospial this med is given at 6-7 am 1/2-1 hour before eating.

One of the doctors I work with told me it should be taken 30 minutes prior to eating. The proton pumps are inhibited (obviously) and that's what the mechanism of action is with these drugs. The proton pumps are only active when you eat something, according to him. So, if you take it in the evening, and then don't eat anything, there are no active proton pumps to inhibit. That's why, at our hospital, these drugs are ordered 30 minutes prior to Breakfast for every single patient, rather than being at the normal "morning pill" time. He told me this totally randomly about a patient I was caring for about 2 weeks prior to my surgery. (Nearly every single patient in our hospital is on a PPI, so I'm not sure why this was the first I had heard of this, but it was). I have just carried it with me because I knew I'd be taking one post-op. I still take mine twice a day, and I try to do it before meals, but it doesn't always work out that way.

Ditto for me. A year ago, quite a while before my surgery I was on 40mg every morning. My doc wanted a full hour prior to eating anything. So I try to go for 30 mins now. I have been so lucky. No acid since I lost my pre-op weight (40lbs) except for one bout when I did everything wrong...too much carbs, too rich food, too much of it and too late in the evening. So I cut out all that and haven't had issues. Knock on wood. I was really worried that the sleeve would give me much acid, but so far, so good!

gg

Hi Chiderah - since you're a nurse, maybe you can answer my question! I stopped taking my Pepcid AC after six weeks....taking it "as needed". I seldom have indigestion, only after something spicy, but I DO have 'gurgling' in my chest/throat. Since I've quit taking them on a regular basis when I have the gurgling, even when I just drink milk, my breath is bad, is that normal? When I take one, it's not. Any idea what the deal is and how long this goes on??!!!

I'm a nurse and in the hospial this med is given at 6-7 am 1/2-1 hour before eating.