Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So when does the sipping stop?

I am post op five days. Just want to know when the sipping of fluids stop? I would love to drink normally and not worry about the discomfort I feel from over doing it. Anyone know. I start work tomorrow and am feeling realy good. I got down 4ozs of Protein this morning for Breakfast. I tried cream of wheat but just didn't get the tasted i wanted to scratched that and just drank protein.

I'm 2 weeks out and while I'm still careful and definitely don't take any huge gulps, I'm finally at a point where I no longer have to worry about dehydration from not drinking enough. I can probably finish a glass of Water in an hour.

I'd say whenever you're comfortable drinking more normally.

I was able to drink almost normally right from the get go.

If drinking normal size sips vs little baby sips causes you discomfort then don't do it.

I think I started feeling better and being able to drink more fluids 2 weeks post op. I am still careful but the discomfort is not there like right after surgery

I hear you totally. Don't force it- it can only go down so fast. The staple line goes right to the esophagus which may be irritated. The sphincters need time to adjust. Your gastric motility (the wave-like muscle contractions that move boluses through the GI tract) may be sluggish right now.

Yes, the other day, I would have KILLED to just slug down a big glass of mint-green iced tea. Felt SO dehydrated, and the sipping was maddening. I wimpered in frustration to my huz yesterday that I had been working on the same 20oz bottle of Vitaminwater Zero for about 3 hours and was only about 1/2-way down! Truth is though, they recommend 30 oz per hour, so I was really on track, but psychologically, it messed with me.

Today is better though. I've had 2 11oz Protein drinks (my priority) in 2 separate sittings (30gms each- the max you can absorb at one time), One full 20oz Vitaminwater, and am now starting on my second (it's 5pm). I've also had a total of 8oz of pureed Soup and a sugarfree fugsicle. I'm on day 8. Mostly, I'm battling to get in as many calories, carbs and nutrition as possible. I hate being below 1000 calories a day, and right now, it's a full time job to crack 600.

Yes, it's exhausting (and tedious) that drinking is a full-time endeavor that involves every single waking moment's attention, but today, it started getting better, and it will for you too. Hang in.

Edited by pcindy

I am one month out and I don't have any problem drinking normally. I do have to be a little careful not to gulp because then I swallow air with it, but I can drink Water and tea pretty much like I did before surgery. Can't do that with crystal light or any other kinds of drinks. Your body will tell you when it is ready, you can try slowly drinking a little more at a time rather than sips and see how it feels. If it works, then great - if it doesn't, then give yourself a few more days or another week and try again.

at 8 week I could take 3 good gulps from a bottle.

I can't CHUG like I used to. But I certainly CAN drink a glass of Crystal Lite easily.

The worst part for me is that I can't drink w/dinner. Drives me CRAZY. he he

I think in less than a week you should start feeling a difference. Without a doubt......;)

It took me about a month before I was able to drink what I consider to be in a normal fashion. But now, even at over a year out, I still can't guzzle or take big swigs, and sometimes I am so thirsty, I really wish I could.

I'm a month out, and can drink normally, except for chugging. I didn't realize how accustomed I was to chugging Water on a hot day until I accidentally tried it about 2 weeks post-op. Not a nice feeling.

I'm 2 weeks post op and I still sip. Before the surgery, my doctor explained to me that my previous eating habits would end and that I would have to learn to eat again, like a baby does when they start first with milk, then with creams, then purees and finally solids. We will not be able to eat the same way again and I think that's the good part of it! If we got to the point of obesity, we might have been doing something wrong. At two weeks, I'm happy that my body gets used to different ways of eating; i'm not so concious about it as I was the week before, but I know exactly how much is good each time i put the spoon in my mouth or the size of the sip...honestly, i cannot have a single complain about this wonderful decision I took. I AM FINALLY HAPPY!!! So far I went 1 size down; yesterday I tried all my clothes from the past when I was lighter (good think i never got rid of it!) and the ones I was wearing before the surgery. Today I'm going to drop them off at the donation place because I know I WON'T NEED THEM ANYMORE IN MY LIFE!!!

Hang in there!

By week 3 I was able to take a pretty normal drink.....I had surgery June 11th and I can take 2 or 3 drinks in a row now, but I cannot "gulp". I can't down a glass of Water....I don't think I'll ever be able to do that again.

I am post op five days. Just want to know when the sipping of fluids stop? I would love to drink normally and not worry about the discomfort I feel from over doing it. Anyone know. I start work tomorrow and am feeling realy good. I got down 4ozs of Protein this morning for Breakfast. I tried cream of wheat but just didn't get the tasted i wanted to scratched that and just drank Protein.< /span>