Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

EDIT: don't read if you don't want to read borderline self-aggrandizement. But if you like to hear about NSV's and how losing weight can make you feel better, read on...

Well, I'm still losing relatively rapidly, so I didn't want to buy a LOT of clothes for fall, but since my old clothes are rapidly becoming tent-like, I needed some basics.

I used to wear 2XLT (double-x large tall). The "T" was necessary because my gut would hang over the waistband of my jeans and the T-shirts weren't long enough to cover it (I'm only 6'1" so I don't really need super "tall man" clothes). I was thinking that maybe I could go down to a 2XL or maybe an XLT. Well, imagine my surprise to discover that XL fits me perfectly, and I actually might end up a snug "Large." I won't be any smaller than that because that's simply my build (shoulders and chest), and actually if I bulk up my muscles I may still need an XL, but I'm excited to essentially have lost two shirt sizes in three months.

Also my jeans have dropped from a snug 48 inch waistband to a loose 44 moving towards a 42. By the end of the year, it's even odds that I'll be in 38's for the first time in a LONG time. My smallest adult size was 36 waist (which, again, is where you start to get limited not by fat but rather the muscle and bone of my hips and thighs).

Lastly, my underwear have dropped from a snug XL to a form-fitting L, and may eventually get down to a medium. And I look good in them :biggrin2: I've always had fairly muscular thighs and glutes, and now that the fat is melting away, it's looking good down there. I feel like I'm bragging, but it's true -- I'm looking good in my biker briefs, and it's a nice change!

Oh, I almost forgot. Instead of needing an 11 wide shoe, now I just need an 11. That isn't a huge morale builder or anything, but it DOES make finding shoes that fit much easier. My New Balance exercise shoes I just bought fit like a glove!

All of this is tremendous for me.

One downside is that the snugger fitting XL t-shirts actually touch my body. It's strange, but I think a lot of us heavier people are not used to clothes touching our bodies. Anyway, that shows where I definitely need to get back to the gym and keep my stomach and chest from sagging. Fortunately, I have excellent genetics and lots of determination, so I think I can pull everything back where it's supposed to be. So, I'm more determined than discouraged if I see that I'm not quite as ripped as I want to be.

All in all, it's pretty exciting developments!

Edited by ouroborous

Congrats on your sizes!! I know what you mean about not spending alot of money on clothes. I had my surgery 5 weeks ago and I've gone from a 22w down to a straight 18. I had a few things in size 18 but not much. I'll have to go to the thrift stores to find something to tide me over. Again, good job! Doesn't it feel good!!

proud of you!!!! dont see many responses from men but I'm glad you posted....Keep up the good work.

Grats dude!

Keep up the good work. I can totaly relate to the clothes issue. What I do is go the local Amvets and they are pretty well stocked with pants and shirts. I figure I can deal with used clothes until I get down to my goal weight. Then I will splurge on some good stuff.

You're doing great. Thanks for your post.

Dan S.

Highest Weight - 284

Current Weight - 214

Goal Weight - 180

34 lbs to go.

Thanks! Anyone else notice that it feels hard to be honest about your achievements? On some levels I'm really proud of myself and excited to feel good and look good for the first time in... well, ever. But on some levels, I feel like I'm bragging!

I wonder how many of us deal with this same issue. I wonder, does "self confidence" just mean being honest and unashamed of your strengths? I wouldn't know since I've never been terribly self-confident. But I have a feeling that that may be changing!

First, Congratulations! Those are some awesome achievements and exactly the kind of "tangible" changes that really push us towards our goals!

Second, I don't think it is bragging. I think we HAVE to be honest with ourselves about our achievements, we all have our "cheerleaders" around us (at least, I hope we do) but on some level, I think a lot of us our used to seeing ourselves a certain way, and we tend to discount, or make excuses for, the compliments we are given. When we own up to our own progress and successes, they become more real. So, yeah, be confident in what you have accomplished and what you WILL go on to accomplish. If people see that as bragging, it's on them. Not you. YOU have earned it!

Congrats!! Its so strange isn't it? Not knowing what size you are and having to keep trying smaller and smaller until you get the fit you want.... normally I would have picked the largest size....

I've been trawling thru 2nd hand shops to stock up on new things which don't cost much, got 6 items all for one euro each this week... and feel a million dollars in them. like others I'll be happy doing that until my weight settles and then maybe I?'ll invest in some which cost a bit more like some decent fitting jeans etc.

Keep up the great work - I see you're just over half way now.... way to go!!

WOW!!!! That is soooo exciting!!!! I'm sooo happy for you!!! You should be bragging!!!! That is such an accomplishment!!! It's not bragging when it's true!!! I hope to be saying the same things very soon!!!! Congratulations!!! :001_smile:

Hey,

that is an amazing result for you and an inspiration for a relative newbie!

Although, my scales isn't moving rapidly (slow but steady wins the race is my new mantra; along with little acorns turn into big oak trees!!) I too had a recent NSV!

Many years ago I bought a pair of sizee 20 (UK) jeans from the petite section - well I am only 5' 2" - and since that day I have never worn them out... in fact they did not do up at the button, and I kept them with the old saying 'one day they'll fit'! That day has arrived...YEY!! I can not only do them up, but they are comfortable and I can defo wear them in public... I am sooooo chuffed with myself it is unreal. I also had to recyle two pairs of jeans that were way to big and my 'snug' jeans are now loose...

Doesn't it feel great!!

I also know what you mean about the self confidence thing... I have a small group of friends that I share all my success with, weight, clothes, food, moods etc... but I recently went to work (not been there since my op due to it being out summer hols) and I purposely work the biggest hoodie I had to cover up... strange isn't it? Perhaps it is because I haven't told them about my sleeve, or that I don't want my weight to be the focus of my work... Dunno... gonna have to suss that one out myself!!

Lets hope that this milestone continue 'til goal!

EDIT: don't read if you don't want to read borderline self-aggrandizement. But if you like to hear about NSV's and how losing weight can make you feel better, read on...

Well, I'm still losing relatively rapidly, so I didn't want to buy a LOT of clothes for fall, but since my old clothes are rapidly becoming tent-like, I needed some basics.

I used to wear 2XLT (double-x large tall). The "T" was necessary because my gut would hang over the waistband of my jeans and the T-shirts weren't long enough to cover it (I'm only 6'1" so I don't really need super "tall man" clothes). I was thinking that maybe I could go down to a 2XL or maybe an XLT. Well, imagine my surprise to discover that XL fits me perfectly, and I actually might end up a snug "Large." I won't be any smaller than that because that's simply my build (shoulders and chest), and actually if I bulk up my muscles I may still need an XL, but I'm excited to essentially have lost two shirt sizes in three months.

Also my jeans have dropped from a snug 48 inch waistband to a loose 44 moving towards a 42. By the end of the year, it's even odds that I'll be in 38's for the first time in a LONG time. My smallest adult size was 36 waist (which, again, is where you start to get limited not by fat but rather the muscle and bone of my hips and thighs).

Lastly, my underwear have dropped from a snug XL to a form-fitting L, and may eventually get down to a medium. And I look good in them :001_smile: I've always had fairly muscular thighs and glutes, and now that the fat is melting away, it's looking good down there. I feel like I'm bragging, but it's true -- I'm looking good in my biker briefs, and it's a nice change!

Oh, I almost forgot. Instead of needing an 11 wide shoe, now I just need an 11. That isn't a huge morale builder or anything, but it DOES make finding shoes that fit much easier. My New Balance exercise shoes I just bought fit like a glove!

All of this is tremendous for me.

One downside is that the snugger fitting XL t-shirts actually touch my body. It's strange, but I think a lot of us heavier people are not used to clothes touching our bodies. Anyway, that shows where I definitely need to get back to the gym and keep my stomach and chest from sagging. Fortunately, I have excellent genetics and lots of determination, so I think I can pull everything back where it's supposed to be. So, I'm more determined than discouraged if I see that I'm not quite as ripped as I want to be.

All in all, it's pretty exciting developments!

Congratulations to you! I know your' happy with your results good for you! Yup you are so right on the "are not used to clothes touching our bodies" part. . I went from a 4XL to a small cut XL in nursing uniforms. . I look REALLY good in the Koi cut uniforms, but because they are form fitting I hardly wear them, I perfer to wear my 2XL but those literally hang off me i look like a drowned rat:lol0:. . . very comfortable thought!

Can you post a pic of you in just your biker underpants please? For an objective appraisal you understand.......

Jane x

Congrats! That's just a great NSV!