Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please describe the Difference while eating

I'm trying to figure out what it will be like post op. Does a full sensation feel like you're just done instead of having food hit your tonsils or tonsil scars in my case?

Thanks!

Carrie, it took months for me to get a full signal. I mean like 3-4 months. I had to measure my food religiously or I'd end up puking up that one last bite.

Now, I get the hiccups and just recognized a little sniffle as a full signal. If I take another couple of small bites, it's an uncomfortable full feeling. I don't puke or anything, or get pain, it's just uncomfy.

Okay, Tiffykins, I've finally found someone like me! lol When I get to a certain place in eating (after 4-5 bites) and food hits a certain spot then I start to sneeze! You hiccup! Hilarious! But Carrie, for me, no - it is not a full feeling like you would have had pre-op. It's like Tiffykins said after a while you "understand" what YOUR full is. IN the first weeks, everything is different when you reach different food phases. You certainly know quickly what WORKS and what doesn't for you and leave it alone for a while!

I started getting the hiccup signal too once I started eating regular food again. I agree the full feeling is different and you will need to learn what yours is, one or two bites is all it takes to make it very uncomfortable. I've had a couple of times where I pushed my limit and tried that one extra bite, its not worth it.

Good Luck,

The one thing I noticed is the consistancy vs the band. There are no loose days, tight days. Your tolerance to food volume will be pretty much the same. Once you get your head around that its pretty easy. I dont get stuffed any more if I overeat, I get uncomfotable. I can handle stuffed. Dont like this new feeling so I am careful what I eat. The sleeve works well.

4re4me... I am so glad to read your post. My year-long lapband hell was just like that. Even now that my band has been deemed defective and leaking, the other day I was eating, and I felt that awful restricted full feeling, and I said to my husband... gee, how nice this band works about every 4 weeks. NO consistency at all. I have been feeling nervous that the sleeve also won't work for me, that I'll fail again... and I just hope that I'll feel the same way every day and permanently eat LESS!

4re4me... I am so glad to read your post. My year-long lapband hell was just like that. Even now that my band has been deemed defective and leaking, the other day I was eating, and I felt that awful restricted full feeling, and I said to my husband... gee, how nice this band works about every 4 weeks. NO consistency at all. I have been feeling nervous that the sleeve also won't work for me, that I'll fail again... and I just hope that I'll feel the same way every day and permanently eat LESS!

Hello:) I am wondering about your last words " u are afraid to fail again" I am still banded and looking forward to be sleeved! I am afraid of being a failure at yet another procedure, I see u are already bandless now.. so would u share the feeling with me?

How does it feel now?

I am only 3 weeks out from having my band to sleeve revision. All I can say is that I am VERY uncomfortable if I have too much. I am learning to recognize the sensation of my stomach telling me to stop. Granted, I am still healing and the sensation for me is different than someone who is several months out. The funny thing is that I don't have any traditional hunger pangs and I really am full after about 2 ounces of anything at all. I do have to eat slowly and if I have any inkling of discomfort, I stop - that is the only way I would really know if I am getting full.

However, I can say that eating and drinking is already easier than with the band. I have started mushies and I already can swallow better than I did with the band - nothing is getting stuck!!! No chest pain!!

And, try not to worry about the "failure". My band wasn't complicated - it was in perfect working order and I still didn't lose much weight. I do wonder if I will be as succesful as others have been with the sleeve, but I am committed to the journey. At this point, I don't see how I could fail - I can't eat more than a couple of tablespoons. No one can gain weight like that. The plus side is that I have none of the lap-band discomfort, and that is a huge for me. The rest of the weight loss will be icing on the cake. I have moments where I am sad because I was not able to lose the weight on my own and that the lap-band was basically an expensive mistake. But we have to get over it. That sadness does nothing to move me forward in my life.

Hope that helps---

Lara

Lara that made my day! I have been having horrible mixed feelings!!

Am I doing the right thing? Should I give my band another try? may be I am the one failing it not the band failing me..

My band wasn't complicated - it was in perfect working order and I still didn't lose much weight.

My band is the same, I have no complications with it Except not being able to eat chicken and other stuff! that are healthy.

Also I have been on my band for almost 7 years and I cant deny it helped me lose most of my lost weight up till now.

I think my problem is so mental!! I am so attached to my band and I am afraid if I let it go I will fail more!

And still I stopped losing for more than 2 years! if I ever lose small amount I gain them so quickly!!

I believe ur words so much that I shouldnt stay in the sad/depress phase..

I am really just confused! Will I be eating less than I am already having now?! cause I am eating SOOOOOOOOO little how less can I go!! I cant see how great difference will the sleeve be except from the results I have been hearing here on the board!

I took my decision about the sleeve and am not going back but I am not having any great expectations either:(

Great topic! With my band when I am full I get a "croupy like cough" and if I take an extra bite (if it goes down) I just want to vomit- I am hoping that the sleeve has more subtle notifications to close the pie hole...