Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So it's day 9 for me - still Clear liquids - and I've been dealing with SERIOUS hunger since the afternoon. I'm absolutely famished right now and none of the tricks that worked in the preceding 8 days since I started eating have helped. I've been drinking juice, tea, and now strained French onion Soup, with a popsicle at some point, and I still feel like I could attack a cow with my bare teeth and rip a steak out of it. It's not a craving, because while I want meat or fish the most, I'd kill for anything at this point. I thought you weren't supposed to have hunger this intense after the VSG? :crying: I've been trying to convince myself to have a Protein shake, but I feel like I'm literally going to vomit (not exaggerating) if I have another water-based shake, so I don't even want to risk it. I'm tempted to take the leap to milk a day early because then at least I can have a Protein Shake that's palatable and hopefully the Protein will help - but of course, I'm paranoid that something bad will happen if I veer off my diet.

AHHHH!:frown1:

My husband and I both dealt with extreme hunger after our surgeries. It sucked especially since, as you said, it seems like many people don't. Unfortunately not much helps when you are on liquids. Once we got to soft foods it got SO much better. Just hang in there it will get better when you get to that phase - it won't last forever. But believe me I KNOWWWWW how hard it is :crying: My friend who just had hers 5 days ago is dealing with it as well.

Glad I'm not alone....the urge has finally passed - incidentally, a little while after I took some liquid Calcium, which makes me wonder if I was also overproducing acid or something. I hope tomorrow won't be as bad - after that, I can start having cream Soups and the like (already stocked up on Asparagus & Sweet Basil and Butternut Squash!), and Protein will be easier to get in with milk. I'm thinking maybe my leptin levels went through the roof because I've been losing weight so fast. I honestly thought it was gonna take me an entire month to lose 12 lbs, as I'm not that heavy to begin with.

Hi BlackberryJuice, glad it resolved. that acid stuff is very tricky. are you on PPIs. It may be a good idea for you to get Nexium or similar for the 1st 3 months at least.

Jane x

wow, 9 days of Clear Liquids post surgery? Did anyone else get this strict a plan? I was on regular Protein Shakes within 3 days of surgery. I think I would be dying if I was still clear 9 days post op!!! I would jump on a Protein Shake with milk soon and get into the mushies. I just cant imagine why you would have to endure this for so long if you get a standard sleeve like everyone. That's one mean doc!!!

I was the same. Extreeeeemely hungry. I was starving. But with the mushies, it got better. And with soft solids (where I'm now) it's slightly better. For some of us, hunger is not gone, not completely. You'll see, it gets much better and you're definitely not alone.

Hi BlackberryJuice, glad it resolved. that acid stuff is very tricky. are you on PPIs. It may be a good idea for you to get Nexium or similar for the 1st 3 months at least.

Jane x

Yes, I do take a Nexium in the am. I haven't had any issues with heartburn or anything, thankfully.

wow, 9 days of clear liquids post surgery? Did anyone else get this strict a plan? I was on regular Protein Shakes within 3 days of surgery. I think I would be dying if I was still clear 9 days post op!!! I would jump on a Protein Shake with milk soon and get into the mushies. I just cant imagine why you would have to endure this for so long if you get a standard sleeve like everyone. That's one mean doc!!!

Haha, yeah. I'm on a 10-10-10 plan. I'm trying my best to follow Dr. Aceves' guidelines as he hasn't had any leaks and I'm sure the diet is a big reason for it. Honestly, I don't think anything will happen if I have milk (I'm sure if I had steak, it'd be another story), but the way I think about it, if I follow the diet to a T and have a leak, it's his fault - if I don't follow the diet and get a leak, I can't really blame anyone but myself. So I'm trying super-hard to stick to his guidelines even if other doctors are more lax with the diet.

Blackberry, that's smart. My friend who is also having the hunger (she is 6 days now) is a Dr Aceves patient too. We had a less strict post op diet but still had the same hunger problem. Just hang in there, I know it will get better :)

Unjury makes a Protein Powder that is "chicken soup" flavor. I am pretty sure it's considered a clear liquid. I was using it after my band surgery. 20g of Protein in one scoop. Maybe check into it? They deliver SO fast, and you can order packets/samples. Good luck!!

Lindora makes a really good Protein Drink called wildberry punch, it's now sold at Rite Aid. I wonder if those are considered clear liquid?

Unjury makes a Protein powder that is "chicken soup" flavor. I am pretty sure it's considered a clear liquid. I was using it after my band surgery. 20g of protein in one scoop. Maybe check into it? They deliver SO fast, and you can order packets/samples. Good luck!!

Yeah, I have it....not a huge fan. Just dumped a cup that's been in my fridge for a week, lol.

Yeah, I have it....not a huge fan. Just dumped a cup that's been in my fridge for a week, lol.

LOL... yeah I didn't love love it... but it wasn't horrible. I only used it that first week after surgery until I could have something a little better tasting. :thumbup: