Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was your surgical experience like? Stories Welcomed

I had a wonderful surgical experience. Like JulieNYC I had Dr. Fielding operate on me early in the morning so i could go home the same day. I arrived at the hospital at 7 AM I was in the pre op room at 8:30 AM and met with the anesthesiologist and Dr. Fielding and signed the consent forms.

I walked into the OR which i thought was huge and lied down on the table. I had a gown on but knew as soon as I was under I would be naked and spread eagle. I had a nervous cough and the anesthiseoligist asked if I was sick, i told him no just a bit nervous, he joked why should you be nervous I am doing all the work.

Next thing I remember a nurse in the recovery room asked me to turn to my side so she could inject me in the butt. OUCH!

An hour later I was in my room and walking the hallways. Dr. Fielding saw me walking around the hallways at about 4 PM asked if I wanted to stay overnight, i said no and he said fine I will discharge you.

The only pain I ever felt was like being punched in the belly really hard. I did not take nor did I need any pain killers, I was so happy to sleep in my own bed that same night.

the next night I was actually at a dinner party at my sister in laws house and the 3rd day post op, I just had to go back to the office I was so damn bored at home.

I never felt any severe pain and I am so glad I had the surgery...no regrets.

I had a great surgery experience. Me and my husband got to the hospital about 2 hours before surgery. They put me in this little "pre-surgery" room, we talked and watched tv. They started the IV there and had me change and put those silly orthopedic stockings on. I dont know if they ever caught on but those are pretty much impossible to keep up on a very fat thigh that goes down to a v at your ankle. They kept rolling down. Went into the recovery room/before surgery room. My doc come in and said hi, the anesthesiologist came in and said hi. Just laid there until I went into surgery. Scooted onto table and was put out. Waking in the recovery room was fine. I did not have pain per se but felt like an elephant was sitting on my chest, that kind of squashed feeling. That was uncomfortable but not painful by any means. I spent the night in because they make you. I had slept a full night before and pretty much dozed after surgery so by about 7pm I was awake and awake for the entire night. I did also have to pee about every hour on the hour. The nurse finally unhooked me from as much as she could since I was up and walking around so much that night. I had absolutely NO gas pain. By the next day that squashed feeling was starting to go away. I have only one other surgery to compare to (open gallbladder) and that was just awful compared to this one. I had some discomfort which is expected so all in all I would say I had a great experience. Nothing suprised me except for that squished feeling and that didnt hurt, more annoying than anything else.

Mine was typical as well.

I was there bright and early, didn't get any sleep the night before as I have an INTENSE fear of anesthesia. I spoke with the anestiolgist (sp) about that and made him promise he would tell me what was going on. They couldnt' find a vein so he put it in my wrist (which was not very comfy to say the least).

I had to pee they let me stop off at the bathroom before surgery. We went into the OR, I got up on the bed, I remember seeing the anestheiologist putting something in my IV I asked him if that was going to knock me out, he said yes and someone put an oxygen mask on me. Lights out until I woke up.

I made the mistake of telling them I had a very low tolerance for pain meds so when I woke up I felt like I had been stabbed and was in an extreme amount of pain. I was moaning and the nurse asked if I was hurting and wanted pain meds in my IV, I said yes and within a minute or two I was feeling good :)

They got me up and walking around then back into bed to take me to xray to check for leaks. Then I went to my room (I had surgery at a hospital) and slept as much as I could even though they came in every hour to check my BP and pulse. They sent me home about 4 pm.

Healing was quick and I have no complaints. :D