Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trouble taking chewable vitamins

If this has already been mentioned, please forgive me... I didn't take the time to seach.

But, I have a terrible time taking my chewable Vitamins. I no more than swallow and begin to gag. Eventually they come up. I've tried with food, without food, little nibbles... I don't know if it's mental of physical, but they come up just the same.

Anyway, I have taken liquid Vitamins in the past and was able to keep them down. But for whatever reason, though I've been to several stores including ones that used to carry them... I could not find liquid vitamins for adults. So I checked out the infant vitamins to try to figure out how much I'd need to take. These are very concentrated. Woo hoo, about 1/2 teaspoon is very close to what I need. A tsp. is about 5 ml, and about 2.5 ml is what I need. Goes down very easily, chased with a little Water or tea, the after taste is bearable. No gagging and it stays down.

Finally after 6 weeks of dealing with those nasty chewables I have a solution that works for me. Though I'd share in case others are also having this issue.

Edited by Ellisa
spelling

Thats good to know. What brand infant Vitamins did you buy?

I was able to find the liquid Multivitamin supplement at Walgreens. In fact it is their brand. Hopefully this helps someone.

If this has already been mentioned, please forgive me... I didn't take the time to seach.

But, I have a terrible time taking my chewable Vitamins. I no more than swallow and begin to gag. Eventually they come up. I've tried with food, without food, little nibbles... I don't know if it's mental of physical, but they come up just the same.

Anyway, I have taken liquid vitamins in the past and was able to keep them down. But for whatever reason, though I've been to several stores including ones that used to carry them... I could not find liquid vitamins for adults. So I checked out the infant Vitamins to try to figure out how much I'd need to take. These are very concentrated. Woo hoo, about 1/2 teaspoon is very close to what I need. A tsp. is about 5 ml, and about 2.5 ml is what I need. Goes down very easily, chased with a little Water or tea, the after taste is bearable. No gagging and it stays down.

Finally after 6 weeks of dealing with those nasty chewables I have a solution that works for me. Though I'd share in case others are also having this issue.

Thanks for the info. I also have trouble - I gag something terrible. My NUT suggested cutting them up into fourths with a pill cutter and either mixing with food or drinking something with each 4th. This has worked really good for me. I swallow a 4th with my SF Carnation Instant Breakfast until all gone. With my second Vitamin of the day I usually mix with some SF pudding.< /p>

Thanks Elisa for this tip! I had stopped taking my Vitamins too because I threw up the last time I tried them. This morning I vowed to get back on the Vitamin train...so I pulverized my multi vitamin and was able to get it down. Basically I cut it in half and crushed it with the back of a spoon and chased it with a sip of Water. Sorta tasted like pop rocks. That was about two hours ago and so far so good.

I am definitely going to Walgreens tomorrow. I gag every time I take a chewable (flintstone, Centrum, etc)

I was able to find the liquid Multivitamin supplement at Walgreens. In fact it is their brand. Hopefully this helps someone.

Hi Ellisa,

Also try the Vitamin Shoppe. They have every kind of Vitamin in any kind of form known to man. They aren't all that cheap but you can sign up for their emails and deals to know when things go on sale.

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/vitamins_minerals/index.jsp

They also have stores all over the US, so you can check the store locater also.

Good luck!!