Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Volume of Food - Questions!

Hi everyone! So hubby and I had surgery two weeks apart. Mine was May 20th and his was June 3rd. At first he was always a little bit behind me in how much he could eat. At some point he passed me up.

Right now I am 12 weeks post op and he is 10 weeks post op. I am still eating typically 2-4 oz (of course this varies depending on consistency of the food). It seems like in many situations, hubby can eat twice the amount I can.

At a family BBQ recently I took the smallest chicken breast, and ate half of it as well as 1/3 a corn on the cob. Hubby ate his entire piece of chicken breast and the other 2/3 corn on the cob so pretty much exactly double what I ate.

When we both eat chili, he can eat about half a can (so about 6 oz) and I can only eat 3 oz.

So here's the thing - are we both ok? Is he eating too much? Am I eating too little? I know that 8oz is the max they ever want us eating. Neither of us has ever eaten that much so I'm sure we are ok. I feel at times that I should be eating more by now, and that maybe hubby is doing a little too much.

Can those who are 10-12 weeks weigh in on this? Or if you are past that and can recollect what you were able to eat at this time?

We do plan to ask our surgeon at our 3 month appointment coming up Aug 24th... wanted to hear from you guys though! Thanks!!!:frown1:

I'm 18 months out.. and there are days I can hardly eat ANYTHING.

When I was 3 months out.. I was drinking Protein drinks because I couldn't eat. I still drink Protein Drinks.

The strangest thing is in my mind... before my sleeve, when I was eating everything under the sun..I would be so full.. and go eat more....... NOW.. I hate to eat because of that "full" feeling. ..

I don't eat red meat for that reason.. I get too much of a full feeling and I don' like the feeling.

But chile.. yes.. I can eat 4-6 oz. Just depends.

At 10-12 weeks, nope.. I wouldn't even try it. I din't eat things like that till I was about 6-8 months out!

We're all different.. don't compare your sleeves... do what ever works for YOU!

G'luck to you!!

The big difference is here I bet is that his stomach is longer than yours by sheer anatomy rules. If he's taller than you by 3-6 inches, I bet this where the difference is. At the 10-12 week post-op mark, I was still stuck eating no more than 3oz of dense Protein, and I had zero room for anything else at that point. If y'all are both satisfied on your portions, not hungry, not stuffed then everything is on par.

That's just my 2 cents chickee ! ! !

Hi Tiffy,

This is a little unrelated but I had a question. I'm 6 days post op and I have no trouble with getting fluids in or taking my meds whole. I'm 5'10 probably alot taller then most of you girls, could that be why it's so much easier for me to do this? I read other peoples posts about how hard it is to do this and I'm starting to feel abnormal! :lol0: By the way I have been lurking around awhile and I have read alot of your posts and wanted to thank you for all your knowledge, it has helped me alot! :thumbup:

Hi Tiffy,

This is a little unrelated but I had a question. I'm 6 days post op and I have no trouble with getting fluids in or taking my meds whole. I'm 5'10 probably alot taller then most of you girls, could that be why it's so much easier for me to do this? I read other peoples posts about how hard it is to do this and I'm starting to feel abnormal! :confused1: By the way I have been lurking around awhile and I have read alot of your posts and wanted to thank you for all your knowledge, it has helped me alot! :nono:

Thanks Rebecca. . .

You could also be a quick healer. Everyone heals differently, and some people's bodies just need more time.

You're not abnormal at all. Oregondaisy had the same issues and she's done great post-op. She was sucking down Water so fast after surgery that Dr. Aceves had to tell her to stop.

yes, It's true! I have never been able to figure out why some people have so much trouble in the beginning and have to really sip slowly. The only thing I know is, everyone is different and I was one who had no trouble right after surgery drinking and had to watch the clock to force myself to go slow.

Christie - I would say my eating capacity is about the same as yours - I certainly can't eat a whole chicken breast, - this weekend I tried fillet steak for the first time, cooked a small one at about 4ozs, and managed to eat about 2/3 of it, but it went down ok.

Rebecca - my drinking started off pretty bad, small small sips... but now, over 9 wks out I can drink more or less normal size mouthfuls. If I have too much then I do get that 'funnel' feeling where it backs up slightly, but the larger amounts mean I'm certainly feeling less thirsty than I was. I'm only 5ft 4 in height tho so not sure where that affects it for me.

Hi Everyone,

Good questions and answers! I too was wondering about amount and difference between my wife and I. Seems like I can eat more than her but we both get that "full" feeling so we both must be doing OK lol. All I know is the scale is going down and we both are feeling great.

My husband and I are both 6 months post op, and have lost 100 lbs, and 85 lbs. He can eat larger portions and more times a day than I can, and still loose just as much weight. Just be sure to get enough Protein and Fluid intake, and you'll do great. It is the best thing we have ever done for ourselves. I haven't been this weight in 20 years.