Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

~*~ WORKOUT Challenges and Chat Thread ~*~

Hello all!!

Ok, let me begin. I am a workout junkie. I love it. Always have. Always will. Why am I fat? Because I like to eat just as much as I love to workout! Anyway, I'm fixing the eating by revising my defunct band to a sleeve. I'm fixing my workouts by creating this thread.

I have migrated here from Lap Band Talk. I don't know if anyone knows who or what that is, but this very website is a spin-off from that website. I've been posting there for oogle years. I would often post my workouts there and it really helped to keep me in line with them. However I have not been posting there much at all since I've found my new home. I really don't have a whole lot in common with anyone there anymore. I mean yes, I still have a huge bunch of friends who are supportive of me and my new venue - but those who don't know me don't care nor want to hear me vent about how much I want this crap off my stomach!! :001_wub:

That off my chest, let me tell you what this is all about. I like having one specific place to come to, to post what I plan to do as my workout routine for the following month. I really like to push myself and having something like this really motivates me, because with an audience I perform better! This time though I'm really going to push on it. I'm even going to create myself a little ticker so I can keep good track of how I'm progressing to my "monthly goal". I have lots of goals but I'd now like to make one in particular for more encouragement.

Anyone is welcome to post here, check in, create a challenge for themself, find motivation to move that body and burn more calories, etc. Give us all advice and motivation even! I surely don't claim to be the end all be all in workouts. Far from it! I just like to chatter with like minded individuals and put myself on pace to earn that extra Lb. per week lost that wouldn't have happened if I didn't do my workouts. :)

With that, and seeing that there are only 2 and a half weeks left for this month I'd like to make an additional challenge for myself to do 100 miles on my stationary bike at home by August 31, 2010.

Anyone like to share a personal workout challenge? Would be nice!!!!

I just wanted to say, "Hi!" I too find it useful to make fitness related goals. Back in November 09, I made the goal of auditioning to be a Jazzercise Instructor and finally reached that goal in June 10. Currently, I'm trying to work out a fitness goal/challenge for ab work, but haven't figured out what that might be. Good luck to you meeting your 100 mile goal!!!

Thanks dee! Wow you have done amazing with your losses!

Please tell me, what was the one thing that gave you the most success??

Have a great evening!

I'd have to say the exercise. I know I've read articles on here and other places that say exercise doesn't help weight loss, but I feel it really helped me. I stopped worrying about counting carbs pretty early, about 3.5 months out, and I think that because I burned so many carbs with my exercise allowed me to continue to lose weight, but obviously I am not a medical professional, so maybe it was just luck??

This is my 3rd week post-surgery and while I'm really looking forward to starting weights again in a few weeks, right now I have to settle for swimming. Yesterday I went for my first swim - took it easy with only about 300 meters. Felt fine! My challenge for the next 2 weeks is to swim every other day and add a lap or two every time until I'm back to my normal swim distance of 1000 meters.

:D

That is an excellent challenge BBJ! I know you can do it :)

In the interest of this thread picking up I have to say, I have not even come close to making my goal. I've only done 10 miles so far. There's no way I'm going to do 11 miles every day for the rest of this month so I'm going to bring it down a peg.

I'm going to make sure I'm doing 30 minutes per day excluding Fridays. That is very doable. Now, I have been spending so much time researching this thing, I'm finding it quite difficult to get much workout time in.

Good luck to all!

Dee, thanks for that explanation. IMO, workouts has been my only saving grace in keeping this 50 Lbs off that I lost pre banding. :)

Congrats to you and all your success!

Jumping in here, I am far from a workout junkie, but I am so proud to say that I have been a Curves regular for the last 6+ years. I regularly go 3x a week, and I usually walk (indoors on my treadmill or outside with my Curves buddies 2x a week). I love the way exercise makes me feel, so relaxed and happy!

So I'm pre-sleeve right now (hoping for an Oct. date) and when my NUT told me no workouts at Curves for 6 weeks after surgery, I about fell off my chair! :scared0:But I completely understand the "why" behind it and I definitely don't want to pop a stitch or force my body into doing too much too fast. I am happy about being able to do walking workouts (yay!)

So, basically, I need to NOT fall off the exercising wagon. I am going to be doing a countdown weekly after surgery until I can get back to my routine. AND, I'm looking forward to losing 125lbs and expanding my workouts beyond Curves!:thumbup1:

I'm sort of the opposite of a workout junkie. I don't hate working out, but I have very little motivation when it comes to workouts. Once I get started, I stick with it and even enjoy the sweating, but getting my ass to the gym is rough some days. My challenge is to go to the gym 3 times a week this month, and to do the arc trainer for at least 30 minutes once a week, and to do weights every time, even if I don't want to.

I always have excuses, because I work 12-hr shifts, it is hard to get to our gym after work because it closes at 9, and I have the kiddo to get to school in the morning. But I will have at least 30 minutes after work every day. And some weeks I only work 3 days, so I have to just give up the excuses and do it! Hopefully this thread will help me to stay motivated. Otherwise I'm going to need a cattle prod :scared0:

I just got my boyfriend and I an unlimited 1-month bootcamp pass. We can't go more than 3 days a week because he has soccer and I have dance on 2 other days, but this Monday we're starting this challenge with the goal of attending a minimum of 2 sessions a week.

Jumping in here, I am far from a workout junkie, but I am so proud to say that I have been a Curves regular for the last 6+ years. I regularly go 3x a week, and I usually walk (indoors on my treadmill or outside with my Curves buddies 2x a week). I love the way exercise makes me feel, so relaxed and happy!

So I'm pre-sleeve right now (hoping for an Oct. date) and when my NUT told me no workouts at Curves for 6 weeks after surgery, I about fell off my chair! :scared0:But I completely understand the "why" behind it and I definitely don't want to pop a stitch or force my body into doing too much too fast. I am happy about being able to do walking workouts (yay!)

So, basically, I need to NOT fall off the exercising wagon. I am going to be doing a countdown weekly after surgery until I can get back to my routine. AND, I'm looking forward to losing 125lbs and expanding my workouts beyond Curves!:scared0:

That sounds like a great idea. I still have about 3 weeks before I can start incorporating real workouts to my day. For now I'm just continuing on with my light walking. It's helping to keep the kinks out!

I also do a light dose of Calisthenics several times per week. It's just the muscle toning kind so my arms and legs don't start looking all wobbly as I'm losing so fast right now.

I'm sort of the opposite of a workout junkie. I don't hate working out, but I have very little motivation when it comes to workouts. Once I get started, I stick with it and even enjoy the sweating, but getting my ass to the gym is rough some days. My challenge is to go to the gym 3 times a week this month, and to do the arc trainer for at least 30 minutes once a week, and to do weights every time, even if I don't want to.

I always have excuses, because I work 12-hr shifts, it is hard to get to our gym after work because it closes at 9, and I have the kiddo to get to school in the morning. But I will have at least 30 minutes after work every day. And some weeks I only work 3 days, so I have to just give up the excuses and do it! Hopefully this thread will help me to stay motivated. Otherwise I'm going to need a cattle prod :)

Nice challenge! I do plan to slow it down a little bit once I'm back at it. I really want to find a healthy balance for the amount of food I'll be eating. I'll figure it out eventually.

I just got my boyfriend and I an unlimited 1-month bootcamp pass. We can't go more than 3 days a week because he has soccer and I have dance on 2 other days, but this Monday we're starting this challenge with the goal of attending a minimum of 2 sessions a week.

Awesome! Sounds like a lot of fun! Also sounds like you two stay pretty active and busy regardless. :scared0:

I don't know why I never saw this thread before. I love to work out too. I get really grumpy when something stands in the way of my gym time.

I am really getting sick of the weights routine I am doing and I am looking for something new to do. I need to find a book or something to show me how to use the free weights instead of the machines all the time.

I am good on cardio. I have a trail that I walk on with a friend that is over 3 miles and is up and down hill, besides doing the ellipitkill machine at the gym and I alternate jogging and walking on the treadmill too.

My cousin is a personal trainer at our best local gym and she does the bootcamps there! My aunt (her mother) just asked me to be her workout partner so I will start next week doing 3 days of boot camp, 1 day of the cycling class which she also teaches and on Thursdays we all leave the gym and meet in the foothills to run this 6 mile steep paved road. It kicks our butts, but it feels so awesome after.

I can't wait to get off the treadmill I have been using 4 days a week and into a program.

I guess I am lucky that I have such an active family. My mom runs marathons at the age of 55, my cousin is a trainer, my aunt works at the gym and trains there also, my other cousin is training for half marathon with my mom and so anytime I am inclined to want to go run or workout there is always someone ready, willing and encouraging.

Part of the reason it was so hard for me to be the chunky one in the family too though I suppose...lol:thumbup:

Hey Diva, great thread!

I too use fitness as my motivation; I go to the gym in work (basic but free) 1 -2 times a week and go to a Zumba class once a week. If I have the time or energy I also try to do something in the house at the weekend... perhaps the wii fit. On sky there is a fitness chanel and I have recorded some cardio workouts on there that I do. I also count fitness goals as NSV... for example, before the sleeve I could only walk on the treadmill, now I am jogging on there... I walk for a min, the jog for as long as I can, then walk etc... but I am noticing that the jogging is becoming a lot longer in duration and that I can breath!!!! That is a good feeling!

My next mini goal is to go swimming with my kids; they both go to a swimming club and enter galas, so they are really strong swimmers (as I used to be)... I have given myself a weight related goal, of which I am three pounds away... so not long to go now!

My next weigh related goal is when I lose another 14lb and then my aim is to take up squash again... I find that is a really good exercise for frustration and getting rid of it!

My ultimate goal, which I am hoping to achieve in the new year, is to be 'light' enough and strong enough to go boxing training. Both my son and my husband go and it is a fab workout...

I will keep you posted!!

I am really getting sick of the weights routine I am doing and I am looking for something new to do. I need to find a book or something to show me how to use the free weights instead of the machines all the time.

Try bodybuilding.com - they have an exercise directory. I also have the Women's Health Big Book of Exercises, although I got it right before I headed to Mexicali, so I haven't really looked through it. I'll start reading it once we're done with this bootcamp in November.