Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have at least 145 pounds to lose

Hello, I don't even know if anybody even comes to this forum anymore. Seems like most of the forums further down the VST page get ignored. I had surgery July 14th and in the first 2 weeks, while still on liquids, I lost 20 pounds. In 2 days I will be 30 days out from surgery and I just weighed myself and I have not lost since those 20 pounds. Only 20 pounds in the first month? Coming from my high number - 294 pre-op - this is depressing. Every day of the first few months post-op are precious, I can't afford to lose ground. I come up short on liquids every day, usually about 10 ounces shy of goal. I am usually about 100 calories under daily goal of 600. I usually make Protein goal of 70g's a day. I haven't started exercising yet as the fatigue was pretty severe.

I'm afraid! Only twenty pounds! Even when I have lost 100 pounds I will still be a "fat chick" and will still be considered medically obese. People probably won't even notice that I've lost any weight until I've lost that much. The road just seems very long right now.

Sorry I am just getting started on the whole process and still doing research, but I've seen many people say that they plateau just a short period of time after their surgery, and then things pick up again.

Sorry I can't give you an expert opinion but I didn't want you to think your message went unseen. I mean if you think about it just doesn't make sense that you would stay at your current weight on only 600 calories a day. Your body is probably in shock of some sorts and is going through an adjustment. Eventually you'll get past it and will start losing again. Trying to get in as much liquids as you can will probably help with that.

Good luck!

I started around where your at (299) and have lost about 95lbs. since my surgery in January. There was alot of slow times, sometimes weeks but then it would pick up again. I haven't actually worked out that much, tried many times but just can't seem to get motivated! Now I can eat whatever I want, but I still try to keep it healthy! I just wanted to say I know it looks like you'll never make it, but have hope! I felt the same way, and now I feel great about my weight loss and am still hoping to get these last few pounds off sooner or later!

You are still very early out, give it a chance and hopefully things will start speeding up for you! I wish you all the best on your journey, keep your head up girl!!! You got this!!

Globetrotter - I can relate to you so much. I had surgery on 5.21 and the first 3 to 5 weeks were slow. I hit a block around that time but then my body made up for it in the weeks after that. I know the road seem longs for us. I have lost almost 70 pounds in 2 and a half months. I still don't met my Water requirements daily that is something I am still working on but I do get my grams of Protein in daily. The best advise I can give you is to NOT weigh daily. I only weigh once a week usually on Mondays. It helps because our bodies float between gaining and losing and healing so the weight changes. If you don't see the scale move in a day we get antsy. Just save some heart ache and put the scale away. You will do great. Just stay on plan and do what you can to make these months successful.

I started at 335# and have lost 77# so far and believe me people have noticed the lost. It won't take long before ppl will start commenting on your weight loss. You are doing great, the weight will come off and the good thing is it will stay off this time.

Brenda

I agree with Brenda, I am really tall at almost 6 feet so it takes ALOT of weight loss before everyone can see it. I think I lost a little over 30 when people started noticing. Everyone else started noticing before I did. It will happen... Just have to give it a shot to work for ya.

hey I just wanted to drop a line and let you know that you are not alone. my surgery day weight was just like yours...294, but my scale was showing 300 lbs, so I am not sure which one was wrong.

anyhow, I lost VERY little weight in the begining. I started thinking that this surgery was just another failed attempt to loose weight and I was determined to stay fat. well, after couple of months, weight started melting off of me. so far (my surgery was March 26, so I am little over 4.5 mts out) 84 lbs.

I FEEL GREAT! everyone is noticing it and they think I look great. I have my little goals (example: to be certain weight by certain date) and I am meeting every one of them. I am planing to be 180 by december and to have Tummy Tuck and breast lift then....I know I will work very hard to meet that.

also, weighing yourself too often is big mistake. try to do it one a week. pick a day and do it the same day every week. I now do it once a month and it is much nicer to see one big number versus little ones.

I hope this helps....stay on track and weight will come off. loosing so much weight takes time but follow the guidelines and I promese you will be skinny in no time :frown1:

Thank you everybody for your words of encouragement, I really needed them! Oddly enough, scale obsession doesn't play a part in any of this - I do not own a scale and will not weigh myself until my one month out date, Aug. 14th. I will use a scale at the medic's station. I will use this experience to gain patience and understanding, thank you guys for letting me know I am not alone, am not the lonely heavyweight of the forum, and that movement will happen!!!!

Hello, I don't even know if anybody even comes to this forum anymore. Seems like most of the forums further down the VST page get ignored. I had surgery July 14th and in the first 2 weeks, while still on liquids, I lost 20 pounds. In 2 days I will be 30 days out from surgery and I just weighed myself and I have not lost since those 20 pounds. Only 20 pounds in the first month? Coming from my high number - 294 pre-op - this is depressing. Every day of the first few months post-op are precious, I can't afford to lose ground. I come up short on liquids every day, usually about 10 ounces shy of goal. I am usually about 100 calories under daily goal of 600. I usually make Protein goal of 70g's a day. I haven't started exercising yet as the fatigue was pretty severe.

I'm afraid! Only twenty pounds! Even when I have lost 100 pounds I will still be a "fat chick" and will still be considered medically obese. People probably won't even notice that I've lost any weight until I've lost that much. The road just seems very long right now.

I have to lose 165 plus pounds and I am going to do it. The more exercise you do the more energy you have(at least for me) try to up your calorie intake..Your metabolism will take off if you eat more very small meals than hardly none at all. I know from all my research you have to exercise for at least 30 minutes daily to be effective and also try not to eat and drink at the same time it will wash food down. You can do it!!!! Stay strong and I will be with the sleevers soon I hope..:D

I have to lose 165 plus pounds and I am going to do it. The more exercise you do the more energy you have(at least for me) try to up your calorie intake..Your metabolism will take off if you eat more very small meals than hardly none at all. I know from all my research you have to exercise for at least 30 minutes daily to be effective and also try not to eat and drink at the same time it will wash food down. You can do it!!!! Stay strong and I will be with the sleevers soon I hope..:D

Hello! I've lost 140 lbs thusfar, and I don't exercise everyday. . I do drink sometimes with meals, and i do snack every now and then. . . but then i'm different, just like your different. . I lost 53 lbs in my first 7 weeks and now that i'm almost 1 year out I've lost a lot of weight, but I live life like i like it. . I'll eat whatever, in small amounts of course, I'll have my alcoholic beverages, I'll have my Snacks of whatever. . . not horde amounts though! I don't stress over my weightloss, and i definately don't weigh myself every day. . . I do that only if I think about it. . which usually is about 1 or 2 times a month if that. . . I'm living a "normal" life as per me. . .and its working great. . .I usually judge my weight loss by the clothes i wear. . .if they are too lloose, I go the store fit on something that fits and it usually is a couple sizes smaller then before then I glorify myself that way. . .I get alot of compliments from people, but this usually goes in one ear and out the other, because I know how people are and usually they are not genuine . . . but this is only how i do it, i don't expect anyone else to do it this way. . it works for me only. . . good luck to everyone, you are ALL doing very well and together everyone can get through this!