Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here with a questions

Hi :wave: I am new to this site and thought I would introduce myself and tell my story, I hope you don't mind?

A bit of background

I had an appointment about 2 years ago at the obesity clinic where the thought of surgery scared me half to death, and since the only thing that they were offering at the time was either Reductil (When it was still on the market) or Orlistat (Neither one worked for me) I decided that I would try and loose weight myself......Again..... with no luck :thumbup: .

Now

I decided this year that since I was still the same (Probably a bit more in fact) that I would actually go for the surgery I went back to my GP who referred me and to the obesity clinic again and when I finally got my appointment asked to have surgery.

Recently

I originally wanted the band, but have decided to have the Sleeve instead, due to myself having pcos, I think that will be the better option for me.

I know that I have been referred to Dr Ameet Patel at Kings Hospital in South London as I just received a copy of my referral letter to Dr Patel and I even found the number on-line of his secretary to find out if it has been received! She said it has and I asked her if there was anyway to speed up the process...... she told me no! Now I already sort of knew what the answer would be but I still had a glimmer of hope that maybe I could just be given the test and put on the list for surgery instead of going to this group thing.... I had so many emotions all at the same time, I felt like I could have broken down on the phone. :huh0: :) :ohmy: :glare: :angry: :cursing: :sad0: :crying::svengo:

Questions

Anywho, I just wondered if anyone else has been funded by the NHS in the London area (Even better at Kings with Mr Patel) and if so how long was the whole process? And also if anyone knows a way that I can speed up the process? Please excuse my impatience but I have been through so much with my weight (Probably like everyone else on here) that I just want it out of the way and if it is going to be the centre of attention, I want it to be positive.

I look forward to hearing your experiences

Thanks in advance

P

Can't help with your questions, but welcome to the board and hopefully someone in your area will see this and be able to respond.

The process takes awhile for most people.. I finally have my surgery date. It took almost a year with all of the requirements from the insurance. I am in the US though and the policies might be different. :)

Hi Pattiecakec!...My name's Amelie, I'm in Alabama...I really don't have exactly the answers for your questions, but i have problems too with my weight, and i was searching for a few drs. in Mexico. I think I'm narrowing down to Dr. Lopez Ortega. He can do my sleeve plication for $6,000 in Tijuana at the INT Hospital. I think I will tour the facilities to check them out. I visited their website and they look pretty young but i have a couple of friends who have had the regular sleeve with them and they are pretty happy with the results and have had no complications at all.

And i found her coordinator Danny very helpful..

I have relatives in So. California, so its very easy for me to drive down to Tijuana, Mexico. Or the dr can even send a driver to pick me up at the airport in San Diego, California. We'll see how it goes...:)

Good luck in your journey, Amelie

Hi :wave: I am new to this site and thought I would introduce myself and tell my story, I hope you don't mind?

A bit of background

I had an appointment about 2 years ago at the obesity clinic where the thought of surgery scared me half to death, and since the only thing that they were offering at the time was either Reductil (When it was still on the market) or Orlistat (Neither one worked for me) I decided that I would try and loose weight myself......Again..... with no luck :biggrin2: .

Now

I decided this year that since I was still the same (Probably a bit more in fact) that I would actually go for the surgery I went back to my GP who referred me and to the obesity clinic again and when I finally got my appointment asked to have surgery.

Recently

I originally wanted the band, but have decided to have the Sleeve instead, due to myself having pcos, I think that will be the better option for me.

I know that I have been referred to Dr Ameet Patel at Kings Hospital in South London as I just received a copy of my referral letter to Dr Patel and I even found the number on-line of his secretary to find out if it has been received! She said it has and I asked her if there was anyway to speed up the process...... she told me no! Now I already sort of knew what the answer would be but I still had a glimmer of hope that maybe I could just be given the test and put on the list for surgery instead of going to this group thing.... I had so many emotions all at the same time, I felt like I could have broken down on the phone. :huh0: :confused1: :ohmy: :glare: :angry: :cursing: :sad0: :crying::svengo:

Questions

Anywho, I just wondered if anyone else has been funded by the NHS in the London area (Even better at Kings with Mr Patel) and if so how long was the whole process? And also if anyone knows a way that I can speed up the process? Please excuse my impatience but I have been through so much with my weight (Probably like everyone else on here) that I just want it out of the way and if it is going to be the centre of attention, I want it to be positive.

I look forward to hearing your experiences

Thanks in advance

P

Hi Pat,

I am in the UK but I did my sleeve privately in the Czech Republic. One of the reasons i went privately, apart from being able to lay my hands on 5 grand, was to bypass the NHS delaying tactics. There are others who have got NHS treatment on here, take a lookm at the UK sleevers forum to see them. Good luck,

Jane x

Thanks very much Everyone for you welcomes, replying and advice.

Papillon - Congrats on finally getting a surgery date, I hope everything goes well, I look forward to hearing your progress :-)

AmelieMCentire- I wish you all the best in your search, sounds like you may have one so I hope everything goes well too and I also look forward to hearing updates on your progress

Hello all I am new to the site I am having the sleeve done, on Sept 7. I have so many emotions about the surgery and after. I am excited, scared, and worried all at the same time. I am so used to being the big girl I have no idea what I will look like after loosing weight. I am worried about loosing my hair and what I am going to be able to eat. I tolerate pain very well and I have one child so hopefully post op cant be worse then that. I am very happy this site exist for those that need it. Thanks for any support.

Hello all I am new to the site I am having the sleeve done, on Sept 7. I have so many emotions about the surgery and after. I am excited, scared, and worried all at the same time. I am so used to being the big girl I have no idea what I will look like after loosing weight. I am worried about loosing my hair and what I am going to be able to eat. I tolerate pain very well and I have one child so hopefully post op cant be worse then that. I am very happy this site exist for those that need it. Thanks for any support.

Chantae , I think we have all been in your shoes, and I still am in your shoes. I thought the same thing about the one child thing. I was in labor for 5 days, so it can not be any worse than that. I am also worried about my hair, that is my biggest fear. As far as emotions, I'm more excited, and happy, I think the scared and worried emotions have come and gone. Good luck with your surgery on September 7th, keep us posted.

Patticakec

Welcome, and I hope you find your answers. You have come to the right place. There alot of friendly people on here that will be able to answer most of your questions, and if they can not they are always willing to listen to you.

I think the hair thing is very individual. I can honestly say I've never eaten the recommended Protein on a regular basis. I had lap band surgery over 2 years ago, (lost 90 lbs in 18 months) gall bladder out over a year ago, another surgical procedure for a girly issue 4 months ago, and was sleeved July 6th ("relost" 22 lbs, to be back where I was at my lowest "band" weight). I have plenty of hair... so much that it has to be thinned. I didn't always have such thick hair, when I was in my 20's and 30's it was thin and fine, now it's thick and fine. I do get some Hair loss in the weeks following surgery, but it doesn't continue.

I know a couple of people who have had RnY who have hair loss, but both of them already had very thin hair and a family tendency for the women in the family to have thinner hair with age. I know another who had RnY whose hair is not thin at all, after 6 years. My DH's hair has gotten thinner since being banded 5 years ago, but he's 55 and it's probably a guy thing. My sister had very thin hair pre band, and she's thinner now. My mother's hair is no thinner after being banded 18 months ago.

I don't know if my hair will get thinner with time but last week the stylist was still thinning and complaining about how long it takes to dry my short hair. LOL

Ellisa,

Thank you for that. I had some Hair loss initially but it grew back. Its a worry but I don't think its a showstopper worry.

Jane x