Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is the most powerful, gut-exploding laxative I can buy OTC?

Miralax is the best. Mix it in 6-8 oz of a drink of your choice. It's tasteless and gentle on the stomach so it doesn't cause cramps and discomfort. You can take it up to twice daily. I love the stuff. I'm a nurse and work with many patients who are immobile and suffer from problems with Constipation and they swear by it. I had abdominal surgery 2 years ago and it worked wonders for me afterwards. :(

I forgot to mention I had a lot of trouble with this with the lap band, so I took a daily stool softener and that was all I needed. No cramping with it at all.

Is it something we'd get dependent on though? That is what I'm worried about!! I thought Miralax was a laxative, that is what I added to a power drink before a colonoscopy....the entire bottle, but still...that is why I am thinking it is a laxative!! :thumbup: I'm taking Metamucil (sp?) and it isn't helping at all. I didn't not have this problem at all before surgery!!

Most doctors recommend Miralax. It used to be a prescription but now it's over the counter. It just puts moisture where it needs to go, and it's not a stimulant laxative. It just makes you regular.

Lactulose plus probiotice yoghurt or pills? ?

Miralax is not a stimulant laxative. It just puts moisture where it needs to go. Both my doctor and my moms doctor said it's fine to use every day, but I don't need it.

Glad I found this thread. I have only gone once since I left the hospital 10 days ago. I didn't even realize I haven't been going until yesterday when I started feeling uncomfortable. I will be getting some Miralax first thing tomorrow morning!

Where I am I still need a scrip to get the Miralax so I guess I will be stuck using the MoM which just thinking about it makes me want to vomit. But I am only going once every 3 days and it is a struggle even then.

You can always eat prunes. They actually taste pretty good. It's best to put them in the microwave in a little dish of Water so they are stewed prunes and are not dried prunes.

I'll tell you what the strongest herbal laxative combo on earth is: senna and jalap root. When I want to be completely cleaned out, I make a strong brew of senna leaf and pod mixed. I take a large cup of that and a couple capsules of powdered jalap root. Clears me OUT every single time. Totally out, like diarrhea in the middle of the night out. It's serious stuff. You have to be careful with jalap because it is very potent. Too much can make you nauseated. The combination of the senna and jalap works way better than either one alone. You can get the herbs online. Walmart also carries a good herbal laxative. A jar of capsules for about $10. Herbs are way better for you than any drug formulas. Well, I hope this information can be of help. There's nothing like Constipation to make you feel like crap.

I too had problems for a long time after my surgery. One day I was so desperate that I ask a nutritionist at work to look at what I was eating. Turns out, there was very little Fiber in my diet. I started eating more fiber - berries, peas, quinoa, etc... and all of my problems went away. I spent so long chasing a remedy that I missed the root cause of the issue.

Most powerful laxative for me is Epsom salt. Directions on the package. Use the plain regular one. It'll feel like you took a drain snake through you...
Make sure thou check with your doc it can be really rough on the system.
two doses of Miralax and two doses benefiber each day keep me steady.
H.L.C. Probiotics are good for me too.
Good luck it is no fun....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using BariatricPal mobile app

I love this. Swiss kriss. I buy at Whole Foods. Before surgery I would need 3 for occasional cons. Now I take one every few days or so if I need it. Works the next morning. I highly suggest it.

mineral oil!

My doctor prescribed senna for me. Se if you can get it from your doctor. Also the nutritionist said to eat baby food bananas or pears, they also help