Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is wrong with me?? :(

I hope everyone is having a good day! I hope a better one than me :thumbup:

So due to some complications and dental issues they rescheduled my surgery to Aug.17 and I started the pre-op diet again. Now it seems this dental issue might stretch longer and I'm waiting on a call from the doctor's office to see if they need to reschedule again.

My thing is that...I think the longer this takes, the more time I have to start having all these fears and worries and I've actually started to second guess myself on this surgery. I don't get it, I did everything to get insurance approval, and when I got it, I was so happy..even right before I got the news I remember telling my husband that I needed a Plan B in case I didn't get approved, I was willing to self pay and go to Mexico...and here I am now..freaking out about having this surgery!! WHY???

I spent so much time yesterday just reading some of the post on here and I still feel scared all of a sudden. I heard 2 women over the weekend at a department store register line talking about one of them doing the sleeve and the other telling her that it's dangerous that it could cause stomach cancer...and I thought to myself what?? I've never heard that before...has anyone heard of this?

Maybe I'm just scared bc it could be so close now (if they don't reschedule me again)...I don't know..I just don't like feeling this way :thumbup:

Ani

sorry you're hving a down day. i hate waiting, and that's probably whats giving you the blues. i was thinking the other day that surgery is such a drastic thing, do i really want to? today i saw myselfin a window as i pased a store, and thought... i can't wait to have a tool to help me get this weight off!!

get busy, don't dwell on the negative things.

hope your day gets better!

Take deep breaths and remind yourself why you started this journey. Try to put your fears aside, this is a very safe procedure and well worth it.

Just before surgery I sort of freaked out thinking I would never be able to comfort eat again- and I started trying to talk myself out of the procedure. I actually worried that I was never going to be able to eat a whole bag of cheetos, bag of Cookies or a pizza again! Your brain does some funny things when you threaten its comfort zone.

Be brave- it is worth it.

I wanted my surgery so badly...then, the closer it got, I too began to question myself and began to have some negative thoughts. I began to think things like, did i REALLY try that hard to lose weight (YES I DID)! What I did was to remind myself what brought me to the point of surgery anyway. I reminded myself that I wanted to live a quality life and a long one so that I can be here for my family. I also kept myself busy. I think it might be a normal reaction to begin to have a few doubts. I did a lot of research and never saw anything that suggested the sleeve is somehow "related" to stomach cancer. Hang in there!

Don't listen to people in lines at the grocery store....as a med student/former paramedic who's overheard lots of these types of conversations, I can tell you that a lot of the "medical" crap people spout is absolutely unbelievable (the other day, an acquaintance told me her "intestines are cold" and she must not drink any cold drinks or else she'll get cancer). If you hear something that concerns you, go on a site such as PubMed and look up an actual study on the topic, rather than listen to someone who read a spam e-mail and now fancies himself a doctor. They just prey on gullible people.

APlus, I'm sorry to hear you're having doubts. I am also pre-op (August 18th is my day!) and having fears, but from what I read here and see on YouTube, everyone has fear to one degree or another as surgery day approaches.

May I ask what kind of dental problems your having? I'm having pain in a tooth that I recently got a crown on and am wondering if I should mention it to my doc. I have an appointment to see the dentist, but it's not until August 27th.

AniO- I had a pain in 2 teeth actually and the worst one needed a root canal, which has been done..and today I start the process of getting a post and crown put in. The other tooth still bothers but only when I drink anything cold. I will tell you that from this whole experience, I did learn that you need to tell ur doctor bc I almost didn't and it's not worth taking the risk if you have an infection...have your dentist tell u if it's an infection, it could be an infection especially if it's a crown you already have in place... the problem is when u have infection. I'm hoping I'll get good news today from the dentist so I can finally schedule my surgery.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with these second thoughts...but I know that I spent almost a year doing the research and the steps to get to surgery and it's the best thing for me. I think it's the actual fact that my body, the stomach I was born with is being changed...and that kind of change it forever...so it's scary, but the alternative which could be DEATH if I don't get rid of the weight is just not an option.

Thank you all !! I hope it's good news this afternoon for me :)

I have read something about stomach cancer actually, but I think the correlation is because in the past gastrecomies have been done to people with existing stomach conditions like terrible ulcers for medical reasons. I don't think that there is an issue for normal stomach people. And you have to offset the dramatic reduction in breast, bowel, ovarian, liver etc cancers that losing weight will bring. Plus the reduction in heart strain and amiriad of other benefits that being thinner will give.

Jane x

By the way I had my teeth cleaned and deplaqued at the dentist prior to my surgery and they nearly cancelled it because my white blood cell count was too high. We think this was due entirely to the dental hygenist scraping around and introducing debrie into my blood system. So leave plenty of time between the two procedures.

Jane x

Thanks for the info Aplus! I spoke to my surgeon's office today and they said that as long as I don't have an abcess and no fever I'm good to go. I got the crown in January. I had one done about 4 years ago and that one was sensitive for about a year, so I think that's what's happening here. Plus, it only hurts when I have something really cold or something sweet. I need to stay away from sweet anyway.